• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Aussie chip drought 2023. How you handling it?

Kaden_Nite

Bluelight Crew
Supermarket freezers are bare. No wedges. No potato gems. Chips? Fucking forget it.

This could be because:
A) There's an actual shortage
B) People are idiots and hoarders

I think it's 20% A
80% B

Thoughts?

*No Saucing*

Downsizing. Less transportation and fossil fuel issues. Like a Long Emergency. The bumps in the road before the jump off, the cliff. Not real good, ideally.

^ Oh sorry, lol, wrong thread. But things are tough all over. Really. Stay safe and be a gatherer. Not a hoarder. Lol. Keep the Strength !!

Albert Einstein is often quoted as having said:
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought,
but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones".

My honest opinion? We are over teched in a lazy society. Half the time things don't get done because CEO's hotshots that take over companies and let the talent go to increase the bottom line. They have no plan for any of logical continuation of the corp. Systems go down. (Google a good example) People care less when they are handcuffed and can't even do their job because the chain in the process is broken. This causes people to quit their jobs leaving large gaps and overpaid CEO's to shrug it off. How they get away with it I will never know.

So I believe B is the answer but higher up the food chain so to speak. It is the same crap in the US. Empty shelves.

My honest opinion? We are over teched in a lazy society. Half the time things don't get done because CEO's hotshots that take over companies and let the talent go to increase the bottom line. They have no plan for any of logical continuation of the corp. Systems go down. (Google a good example) People care less when they are handcuffed and can't even do their job because the chain in the process is broken. This causes people to quit their jobs leaving large gaps and overpaid CEO's to shrug it off. How they get away with it I will never know.

So I believe B is the answer but higher up the food chain so to speak. It is the same crap in the US. Empty shelves.
Good point, the problem is probably further up the chain. Certain large businesses being given priority over the rest of us in my opinion. Is it any particular staple items in America that have become difficult to get?

Frozen chips (synonymous with fries, but we usually call chips 'fries' when talking about the thin cut ones, like McDonald's), they are a staple item here which have always been available, but suddenly that part of the freezer section is completely empty. It's really weird since there's no shortage of potatoes.

*When I talk about hoarding idiots, I'm referring to a small minority of inconsiderate panic buyers who ruin it for the rest of us.

Is it any particular staple items in America that have become difficult to get?
I had to keep taking pictures of empty shelves when the wife sent me out to pick up some things. At one point it was pasta. Although the word was flower was hard to get. (I have heard a million excuses). Chip fries, or french fries as we call it here at one point was hard to get for a few weeks, then when we could was almost double the price. Fries should be cheap. lol The word was a shortage of plastic containers. ??

But when I look at the company I work for, and see how other companies are run it is easy for me to figure it out. When was the last time a person could call a help line and have confidence that person could help? Now a company will pay someone pennies to answer the phone, who cares if they speak the same language or have any tech skills you are looking for. The bottom line is the top management is bringing in more money (only for now until the company sinks) . But this will cause a lot of failure in the future. Companies do not even care if they help their customers anymore. And yes 20 years ago customer service was much better. More thought out. Now ir just does not matter.

The worst part of all of this is there are good people wanting to help but are handcuffed by the disorder from above. But there are also people who could give a crap about anything.

Bro, potatoe prices out of control here in NZ. Paid 5$ a kilo the other day. It's a rare sight to see Hash browns in the freezer.

Everything that's good and cheap in the food world is no longer cheap and often not even available. Eggs? Potatoes? Even regular fruit like bananas and apples have skyrocketed.

Yes, I've definitely noticed a price rise and on rare occasions when chips are available, it's some weird brand that is twice the price! Some basic items (certain meats, vegetables and sanitary products) have steadily risen to almost double the price they were prior to covid.

I really don't want to get into a corona-conversation, but I am interested in hearing what essentials have become difficult to find or afford for others (worldwide, not just Australia) if anyone wants to chime in.

I had to keep taking pictures of empty shelves when the wife sent me out to pick up some things. At one point it was pasta. Although the word was flower was hard to get. (I have heard a million excuses). Chip fries, or french fries as we call it here at one point was hard to get for a few weeks, then when we could was almost double the price. Fries should be cheap. lol The word was a shortage of plastic containers. ??

But when I look at the company I work for, and see how other companies are run it is easy for me to figure it out. When was the last time a person could call a help line and have confidence that person could help? Now a company will pay someone pennies to answer the phone, who cares if they speak the same language or have any tech skills you are looking for. The bottom line is the top management is bringing in more money (only for now until the company sinks) . But this will cause a lot of failure in the future. Companies do not even care if they help their customers anymore. And yes 20 years ago customer service was much better. More thought out. Now ir just does not matter.

The worst part of all of this is there are good people wanting to help but are handcuffed by the disorder from above. But there are also people who could give a crap about anything.

I agreed with you. It is sad. But we can't do anything about it. But yes, if anyone over here needs a loan then I can suggest you a website where you can easily find the instant money app and with the help of that app you can get a loan. I have also taken a loan and I am very much impressed with their service.
I agreed with you. It is sad. :(

Last edited:
There is indeed a chip drought in Oz. My kids like to eat them, and it's hit and miss whether they are at the supermarkets. Gonna have to move onto real potatoes the rate this is going. o_O

Omg i haven’t noticed this, bought a big bag of mccains a few weeks ago. We don’t eat them often tho but our local Coles seems to have stock? Will have to keep an eye out. We didn’t have cucumbers for a couple weeks..and shelves were empty of wraps one week randomly? oh and the price of ready made mash (yes am lazy lol), over 7 bucks now!! And they’ve made the pack slightly smaller grr.. I see you, woolies. When I first moved out here it was $4.99. And that was only 5 years ago!