News Benzodiazepines 'a major problem' in illicit drug supply

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

Benzodiazepines 'a major problem' in illicit drug supply​

Georgie Smyth
CBC
02 Jan 2021

Within a fraction of a second, Speedy says he knew something was wrong.

In September, the longtime drug user, who didn't want CBC to use his real name, unwittingly smoked fentanyl spiked with a benzodiazepine.

He says he seized up and just managed to make it to a safe space before he lost control of his body.

"For five hours, I just held on," he said.

Benzodiazepine, which is typically prescribed as a sedative, is dangerous when paired with an opioid like fentanyl, because the sedation increases the risk of an overdose, according to Health Canada. Withdrawal symptoms can include extreme anxiety, sweats and dangerous seizures.

Read the full story here.

When they say “Benzodiazepine, which is typically prescribed as a sedative…” why are they referring to benzodiazepine as a distinct drug and not a class of drugs?

Somebody needs to do a little more research methinks lol

When they say “Benzodiazepine, which is typically prescribed as a sedative…” why are they referring to benzodiazepine as a distinct drug and not a class of drugs?

Somebody needs to do a little more research methinks lol

That’s my thought, it shows how little these journalists even try to get the correct info. Everybody watch out benzodiazepine is a hell of a drug..

-GC

That’s my thought, it shows how little these journalists even try to get the correct info. Everybody watch out benzodiazepine is a hell of a drug..

-GC
They at least get some statements from harm reduction/safe supply advocates for the story. But yeah… it’s a lot of uneducated fear mongering imo