• Current Events, Politics & Science
    Welcome Guest
    Please read before posting:
    Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • Current Events & Politics Moderators: Nurse Ratched | Cheshire_Kat

Social Issues Biden: Government standing up to 'hateful' transgender bills.

mal3volent

Administrator
Staff member

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- President Joe Biden said Thursday that his administration is “standing up” for transgender Americans against “hateful bills” being passed at the state level and that he is committed to advancing equality across society.

Biden commented in a brief video message commemorating Transgender Day of Visibility.

“The onslaught of anti-transgender state laws attacking you and your families is simply wrong,” Biden said in the video. “This administration is standing up for you against all these hateful bills. And we’re committed to advancing transgender equality in the classroom, on the playing field, at work, in our military and our housing and health care systems.”

“Everywhere. Simply everywhere,” Biden said.

The administration announced several actions to make the federal government more inclusive for transgender people. The steps come as Republican leaders have advanced state measures targeting transgender people as part of a broader push to stoke culture wars heading into a critical election season.

The administration said the federal government will become more inclusive for transgender people, including through the use of a new “X” gender marker on U.S. passport applications, beginning on April 11, and new Transportation Security Administration scanners that are gender-neutral.

It is working to expand the availability of the “X” gender marker to airlines and federal travel programs and will make it easier for transgender people to change their gender information in Social Security Administration records.

mal3volent

Administrator
Staff member
(continued)...

Visitors to the White House complex soon will also be able to choose an “X” gender marker option in the White House Worker and Visitor Entry System, which is used to conduct screening background checks.

At airports, changes will be made to screening scanners along with the introduction of the use of an “X” for travelers going through Precheck who do not identify as male or female. Transportation Security Administration agents will receive new instructions on how to make screening procedures less invasive and will work with airlines to promote acceptance of the “X” gender marker.

In the video, Biden said there is work still to be done to end “the epidemic of violence against transgender women of color and girls of color” and to ensure that transgender seniors “can age with dignity.” He called anew on Congress to pass the Equality Act to help transgender people around the world “live free from discrimination and violence.”

Biden tried to reassure any transgender person who is struggling, telling them to remember that “you're not alone.”

“You’re so brave. You belong. And we have your back,” Biden said.

The administration’s actions follow recent steps at the state level to limit activity by transgender people. At least 10 states have banned transgender athletes from participating in sports at all levels in a way that is consistent with their gender identity.

In Texas, Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, who is seeking reelection, has ordered the state’s child welfare agency to probe reports of gender-confirming care for kids as abuse.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican who is running for reelection and considering a 2024 presidential bid, on Monday signed into law a measure, dubbed by opponents as the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, that forbids instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade. The law has drawn intense national scrutiny from critics who argue it marginalizes LGBTQ people. Republicans and advocates of the law argue that discussion of these topics should be between parents and their children.

At the White House, “Jeopardy!” champion Amy Schneider, the first openly transgender winner on the popular quiz show, will meet with second gentleman Doug Emhoff. Emhoff and Admiral Rachel Levine, the assistant secretary for health at the Department of Health and Human Services, separately will host a conversation with transgender kids and their parents. Levine is the first openly transgender federal official to be confirmed by the Senate.

In Florida, Education Secretary Miguel Cardona will meet with LGBTQ+ students.

HHS, the White House said, will also be the first agency to fly a trans pride flag.

mal3volent

Administrator
Staff member
Counterpoint:

The New Misogyny-
The claim that anyone can be a woman is a denigration of all women.

A new form of misogyny is taking hold in contemporary culture. It comes in the guise of a liberationist philosophy, a transformational movement dedicated to open-mindedness. Its advocates believe they are ushering in a world in which one can be whomever one chooses to be. And in doing so, they are treating womanhood itself—the defining feature of half of humankind—as though it is a disposable commodity.

Under the dictates of this new dispensation, anyone, regardless of physiology, must be allowed to lay claim to the biological realities of the female body. Anyone should have the right to call themselves a woman.

The misogynistic nature of this revolution has escaped proper scrutiny precisely because it is understood as progressive—as literally better than everything that has come before. And it casts everything that has come before as suspect: All forms of social organization and every idea that denies this movement’s claims have been deemed retrogressive and actively harmful to the forward march of greater rights for all.

This is an audacious form of woman-hatred, especially since it comes in the guise of opening up womanhood, of extending its benefits to all. But by doing so, it becomes nothing less than an assault on what it means to be a woman. And it is not being understood as such by its advocates and their fellow travelers because of a potent combination of two factors: First, people’s fears of being labeled bigots, and second, a genuine and commendable effort to extend compassion and care to a very small minority.

That compassion has largely been met with hostility. It is becoming increasingly clear that the new misogyny shares one feature with the old: contempt for women. The difference is that the contempt is now coming from the radical extremes of the trans movement. As the signs carried by trans activists who recently protested a women’s conference in the UK read, “Suck my dick you transphobic cunt.” This is not progress. This is misogyny.

Read more:

Electrum1

Bluelighter

55970261-10665389-image-a-46_1648587658163.jpg

mal3volent

Administrator
Staff member
Pushing sexual topics onto little kids is disgusting and should carry prison time

When we go extinct the rest of the world will rejoice

One part of the Florida bill that concerns me is that teachers will be compelled to snitch on their students to parents. If a gay kid has two homophobic/religious parents, their teacher may feel like the only adult they can confide in. Under this law, a teacher would have to out the student to their parents or risk being fired. I'm just not sure the teacher should have to be put in that situation.

I'm all for not teaching gender/sex stuff in elementary school though. That's ridiculous.

F.U.B.A.R.

Hymenoptera Hippie
Pushing sexual topics onto little kids is disgusting and should carry prison time

When we go extinct the rest of the world will rejoice

I don't know about prison time, but it should be discouraged imo.

Kids should be left to be kids. They don't need or want their childhood ruined by the insecurities of adults.

What's next? Janet and John books where Janet finds John dressed in stocking and supendors whilst hanging by a telephone cord with an amyl nitrite soaked ballgag in his mouth?

w01fg4ng

Bluelighter
The Florida bill will also allow parents to sue schools for talking about straight and cisgender topics that are rampant in our schools today.

w01fg4ng

Bluelighter
I can't imagine their being many heterophobes, but it could happen, even if just to challenge the bill. Kind of like the wedding cake thing.

FuckinAcidMan

Bluelighter
I don't know about prison time, but it should be discouraged imo.

Kids should be left to be kids. They don't need or want their childhood ruined by the insecurities of adults.

What's next? Janet and John books where Janet finds John dressed in stocking and supendors whilst hanging by a telephone cord with an amyl nitrite soaked ballgag in his mouth?
That book: Big winner.

Foreigner

Bluelight Crew
I don't necessarily have a problem with anti-hate politics, but I find that much of it is couched in pseudoliberal attempts at taking over people's freedom of belief. The politicians doing this aren't even liberal, they are just co-opting a movement. In reality the government doesn't give two shits about oppressed peoples. When have they ever? Here in Canada, Trudeau accuses all of his detractors of being white supremacists, racists and misogynists, regardless of how irrelevant it is. And people just eat it up. Meanwhile he, like his government, is centrist. They couldn't give less of a shit about oppressed peoples, as evidenced by their lack of any progress on improving indigenous reservations. But leftist speak is the PC du jour and they will play that game if it shuts up their enemies.

I used to be super liberal and now I'm becoming more and more centrist/moderate as time passes. The left wing is currently loco and will do anything to destroy the human rights of everyone who isn't "the oppressed". So... the red states that are coming out with transphobic bills... it strikes me that they are reacting out of misdirected fear. I don't think trans people should be targeted in response to what pseudoliberals are doing to take over society. At the same time, the right wing better get its act together quickly before the First Amendment in the U.S. is gutted for "hate speech" laws, which are the gateway to MAJOR power grabs.

The U.S. is hopeful because your Constitution isn't just an idea, it's something that was fought for. Here in Canada, our Charter of Freedoms is just an idea. The very first article (Article 1) says that there are justifiable exceptions to human rights, yet it doesn't define those exceptions. So I guess it can be anything that the mob says is okay? In some places in Canada now, it's illegal to not call someone by their preferred pronoun in the work place. Speech has actually been coerced. It's scary. They did it through covid19 bullshit too. It's a two-tier society up here now, and the left wing eats it up. Now it's not just I'm a trans, lesbian, black, disabled, Jewish woman... I'm triple vaxed too because only white supremacists are against vaccine mandates!

I used to think that the right wing was what was scary, but right now I am petrified of what the left is doing. Group-think-speak is taking over Canada at an alarming rate while the World Economic Forum slowly manufactures an economic crisis so that a new, centrally-planned economy can be implemented. Here comes neo-communism.

The U.S. should fight this shit with all their might. It's probably the only country on the planet whose political system was designed to enable resistance. Stop it if you can before they homogenize individual identity into group identity. YOU DON'T WANT THAT, trust me!

Last edited:

thujone

Bluelight Crew
I used to think that the right wing was what was scary, but right now I am petrified of what the left is doing. Group-think-speak is taking over Canada at an alarming rate while the World Economic Forum slowly manufactures an economic crisis so that a new, centrally-planned economy can be implemented. Here comes neo-communism.

The investment groups, powerful firms like Bl*ckR*ck, are openly pushing "guidelines" they call ESG. It's quite literally central planning for the economy, but the public is distracted by the bread and political circus and is not paying enough attention to the implications and ultimate consequences of this being allowed to happen.

spammie nurse

Bluelighter
So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains
" The U.S. should fight this shit with all their might. It's probably the only country on the planet whose political system was designed to enable resistance. Stop it if you can before they homogenize individual identity into group identity. YOU DON'T WANT THAT, trust me!"
The Truckers Freedom Convoy was about this. Many people either don't know or don't care that in the US, we are still under Emergency Declaration, which suspends some Constitutional rights while giving the government powers that would give you nightmares. Once you give up your rights, they won't be given back. Also, folks should read about World Economic Forum. I am amazed how many of our politicians are involved.

Foreigner

Bluelight Crew
The investment groups, powerful firms like Bl*ckR*ck, are openly pushing "guidelines" they call ESG. It's quite literally central planning for the economy, but the public is distracted by the bread and political circus and is not paying enough attention to the implications and ultimate consequences of this being allowed to happen.

This is the natural result of unbridled corporate power. They are assimilating everything.

We've been warned for decades to put a leash on the corporate sector and now it's too late. We're about to enter a cycle where people will have to fight for their freedoms again, if they even bother fighting. The corporations have made people too hypnotized, lazy and stupid to fight.

deficiT

Administrator; Sr. Social Media Manager
Staff member
Queue the same pearl clutching, puritanical and morally outraged conservative narratives that have dominated Western culture for millenia.

The only difference, is now that gay people are accepted, it's trans people that are on the outs. I wonder who the next marginalized group to be condemned, ridiculed, and criticized is going to be once this all blows over?

"Thurrrrr gunna teach my kids evolution!!! And turn my kids into atheists!😱😱😱":

"Thurrrrr gunna teach my kids sex ed!!! And turn my kids into whores!😱😱😱"

"Thurrrrr gonna teach my kids about sexuality!!! And turn my kids into gays! 😱😱😱"

"Thurrrrr gonna teach my kids about gender identity!!! And turn my kids trans! 😱😱😱"

... and so on.

Do you guys ever run out of salt? No? Doesn't seem like it.

The damn fear mongering about trans people is ridiculous and honestly shameful. We've all seen the same shit, read the same history, yet it seems like plenty of people just look for the convenient scapegoat and prattle on about how society is going to be destroyed by a more developed understanding of whatever "new" thing is moving through cultural consciousness.

The government isn't trying to make your kids goddamn trans you all sound ridiculous.

mal3volent

Administrator
Staff member
yet it seems like plenty of people just look for the convenient scapegoat and prattle on about how society is going to be destroyed by a more developed understanding of whatever "new" thing is moving through cultural consciousness.

So what do you think of the other side that blindly accepts every "new" thing moving through cultural consciousness? What is the next "new" thing that society will be forced to accept or be branded as bigots? Once we're over this hurdle, whose turn will it be? I'm legitimately curious what you think about that.

deficiT

Staff member
So what do you think of the other side that blindly accepts every "new" thing moving through cultural consciousness? What is the next "new" thing that society will be forced to accept or be branded as bigots? Once we're over this hurdle, whose turn will it be? I'm legitimately curious what you think about that.
People don't just blindly accept things, clearly, which is why this conversation is happening, it's a slippery slope fallacy to say the left just "blindly accepts things". "Oh yeah, well ya know next thing you know people will be marrying their dogs!" We've been hearing that one for years.

This shit isn't "new", that's the point. It's been around forever, just like homosexuality, drug use, mental illness, or any other sociological factor. It's just that people are finally coming around to the idea that maybe gender identity doesn't have to be a binary, and we don't necessarily need to stifle however that expresses itself amongst ourselves. And, ya know, maybe it's good to not physically or emotionally abuse people that are different from you for the sake of the fact that they're different.

There is no branding of bigots, you can only see that "brand" in your own mind. Unfortunately some people shift the narrative, making themselves a victim to placate their insecurities. The perpetually victimized and embattled conservative has always gotta battle cancel culture, PC culture, cultural Marxism, ya know, enemies on all sides.

The pronoun shit is honestly so simple it hurts. It's literally basic manners. The government wouldn't have to be involved if people weren't just spiteful and bitter. If someone prefers to be referred to by a certain pronoun, then just fucking do it. It's really not all that hard. Instead, you've got every roided out beefcake with control issues insisting on calling a trans woman a man because "That's really a man".

Like this is all just society evolving and moving forward, like we've done for years, especially recently. Sure there are hurdles, things to figure out (athletics, etc.), and there are overbearing dickheads waving the banner of progress at times, but goddamn this is all just so predicated on basic social etiquette that it breaks my brain trying to imagine why people are so resistant to developing a fuller understanding of gender identity.

If you insist on calling someone by the gender they do NOT identify with, then yeah, you're a dick, and a bigot, and I'm definitely not the only person that would think that. That whole Golden Rule shit. It still applies. But if you're not doing shit like that, there's no real damn problem here is there? Everyone can just move about their fucking business.

mal3volent

Administrator
Staff member
So do you have any criticisms of any of the "progressive" movements throughout history or can it all be boiled down to one long journey of humanity struggling to reach enlightenment? Is everything on a spectrum/is everything relative, or are there some things that just don't make sense no matter how hard you try?

Conky

Bluelighter
Queue the same pearl clutching, puritanical and morally outraged conservative narratives that have dominated Western culture for millenia.

The only difference, is now that gay people are accepted, it's trans people that are on the outs. I wonder who the next marginalized group to be condemned, ridiculed, and criticized is going to be once this all blows over?

"Thurrrrr gunna teach my kids evolution!!! And turn my kids into atheists!😱😱😱":

"Thurrrrr gunna teach my kids sex ed!!! And turn my kids into whores!😱😱😱"

"Thurrrrr gonna teach my kids about sexuality!!! And turn my kids into gays! 😱😱😱"

"Thurrrrr gonna teach my kids about gender identity!!! And turn my kids trans! 😱😱😱"

... and so on.

Do you guys ever run out of salt? No? Doesn't seem like it.

The damn fear mongering about trans people is ridiculous and honestly shameful. We've all seen the same shit, read the same history, yet it seems like plenty of people just look for the convenient scapegoat and prattle on about how society is going to be destroyed by a more developed understanding of whatever "new" thing is moving through cultural consciousness.

The government isn't trying to make your kids goddamn trans you all sound ridiculous.
What's shameful is children being encouraged by adults to take puberty blockers and mutilate their bodies

It's abuse and neglect

Conservatives have their own problems but the radical left (the only left really) is sick and demented

Kids shouldn't be making grown up decisions, life altering ones

deficiT

Staff member
So do you have any criticisms of any of the "progressive" movements throughout history or can it all be boiled down to one long journey of humanity struggling to reach enlightenment? Is everything on a spectrum/is everything relative, or are there some things that just don't make sense no matter how hard you try?
I've got criticisms for a ton of things, hindsight being 20/20 and all that.

We can move forward on certain issues, but honestly I don't think we'll ever be able to rid ourselves completely of our subjectivity. Some individuals are going to feel however they feel about things, whether in support or opposition. Sure, there are some moral universal truths, but yeah, time marches forward, beliefs are subject to change.

What's shameful is children being encouraged by adults to take puberty blockers and mutilate their bodies

It's abuse and neglect

Conservatives have their own problems but the radical left (the only left really) is sick and demented

Kids shouldn't be making grown up decisions, life altering ones
So I'm guessing you know better than medical professionals what medical treatment kids going through gender dysphoria and related issues should receive? I mean, so the alternative is to just allow the person to grow into a body that doesn't fit them, and cause them great anxiety and discomfort for the rest of their lives, like we've been doing for the course of human history up to this point? Just tell a kid that's going through those problems to shut up, they don't know what they're talking about? The effects of those medicines are reversible, it's hardly body mutilation.

This is base fear mongering, about something you, and many others, clearly don't care to understand. Nothing more.