• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Blood sugar dropping could be from weed

xxsicknessxx

Bluelighter
It's just i happen to be vaping and my blood sugar dropped to 52. This happens a lot and I'll talk to my doctor but perhaps I don't want to tell my doctor how's much I vape I want him to focus on other problems. Maybe it is weed or when they say it lowers your blood sugar so they(Google) mean it lowers it the second you vape or is it more casual then that?

Cannabis use will lower your blood sugar level and your blood pressure. Are you diabetic?

Vaping will actually give the strongest of these effects as its the most efficient delivery route

I'm not diabetic, I used to be when I was fat but it was high blood sugar then not low. Mines low. My glucose test from my blood tests is low but none of my doctor's have told me why. But I just talked to my doctor he said I should keep candy in my pocket. He says from a year ago to today everything's getting better. I guess maybe I am googling to much. But not one of my many doctors had told me. Your sugar is low because of so and so. That's why I'm asking about weed. But to drop all the way to 57 when I only feel like I did a little. Strange maybe I'm doing more drugs then I know I mean could I kill myself on accident smoking weed because my blood sugar gets to low. I thought weed couldn't kill you. Right?

i think that weed is different in this aspect compared to other drugs because you had the incentive to check your blood sugar, where as if you had taken benzo you wouldnt have given a shit more than likely.
Its not good to use weed on an empty stomach especially moreso if you have been using other drugs

Yup. I’ve found put by experience that it isn’t a good idea to start smoking at 6 am when I wake to do dialysis b/c it’s smoking on a completely empty stomach. That brings a lot of ‘unwell’ feelimg, possibly ending up in a green out or white out.

So when I had a regular dialysis appointment, I asked nephrologist, pharmacist and dietitian. 3 different answers; but it seems that I can expect a transient drop in blood pressure, slight increase in pulse rate and possibly lowered blood sugar.

I know that pulse and BP can be affected (measured it myself) by weed. It wouldn’t surprise me that blood sugar can somehow be impacted (increased/decreased insulin production? Increased/decreased insulin sensitivity at receptors).

Tom

I find it fascinating it could happen so quick, I thought this was more of a gradual thing like you were thinking sickness.. I mean you could kinda experiment to see if it was a one off thing or happens frequently after use.

I smoke in the morning but try to use strains that don’t fuck with me, and always flower never carts or oil in the morning.

-GC

Well I worked today. I drank a little apple juice and hot coco (I work at a restaurant) I forgot to eat. So I went six hours with no food I came home I swear I took 4 puffs of vape and then my fingers and toes got cold so I checked my sugar it was 69 so I gotta say it looks a lot like weed is doing it. But I don't think I can poke but self enough times to really figure this out. I'm going ask my doctor in a couple hours to give me the kind that sticks on your arm all the time and checks your sugar every 15 min. But the cold fingers also means it's hard to get any blood and it makes it hurt a lot. Im keeping sugar close so I can just eat when i think it's low.

Hopefully it gets better by it's self. I'll let u know if my doctor says anything interesting about it. They usually just tell me to stop worrying so much. Lol. Like stop googling.

Cannabis use will lower your blood [...] pressure.

So I dealt with blood pressure problems quite recently. The findings on the link between cannabis use and blood pressure are mixed. All throughout the internet I found warnings about excessive use leading to higher cardiovascular risk, specifically an increase in blood pressure.

I was taking my BP several times a day for a month and a half. In the beginning, I had just "quit" smoking and taken a cold turkey sabbatical from drinking (the summer heat was going to kill me at work if I kept up my daily alcohol intake) and my BP was reading numbers like 160/120 at the doctor's office. I was put on BP medication (amlodipine), which was effective in bringing me down to about 140/110. After about a week of this, I had an urge to smoke/vape one night so I did. An hour or two later, I checked my BP and I was sitting at something like 92/65!

That turned into a trend, where I'd check my BP in the morning (sober) and get a reading of 110-120/70-90 and then at night after indulging I would be in the 90/60 range. That dropped it too low, in my opinion, so what did my brilliant ass decide? I was gonna keep vaping, but stop taking my BP medicine. Ever since I've been consistently around 100/75.

It's fucking nuts, man, but I definitely think the evidence in my case shows that cannabis lowers my blood pressure.

@xxsicknessxx , I'm not sure how cannabis directly effects blood sugar levels, but I know for a fact that poor eating habits can fuck those levels up. Chronic use of cannabis can for sure lead a person to eating a shitload of unhealthy junk food and, in turn, lead to blood sugar issues later down the line. As far as blood sugar goes, I would try to focus more on your eating habits than your weed habits.

ETA: HOLD THE FUCK UP! This thread's got me thinking about munchies... more specifically, what causes them. I don't feel like Googling a bunch of shit on my day off (I've got some Diablo 2 to play), but does anybody know if the munchies are a direct result of cannabis lowering blood sugar? Because that would make a bit of sense if that's the case.

Last edited:
I've fainted the odd couple of times while very stoned, probably because of lowered BP or blood sugar.

On the other hand, it seems to elevate heart rate. When high i'm up from resting rate 50-60 to 80-100.

I would guess there's a complicated relationship. I would put some fancy terms like "chief regulatory system" or "feedback loops" in the mix and hope for the best. :D

I've fainted the odd couple of times while very stoned, probably because of lowered BP or blood sugar.

On the other hand, it seems to elevate heart rate. When high i'm up from resting rate 50-60 to 80-100.

I would guess there's a complicated relationship. I would put some fancy terms like "chief regulatory system" or "feedback loops" in the mix and hope for the best. :D
Oh shit I was so blazed all day going strong smoking strong stuff at work but was also taking kratom and dxm and vaping nicotine then before I got out during the last hour I felt my brain zap or rush and my chest felt off or something and my knees buckled almost felt like my body was shutting down

Vaping nicotine at least not cannabis is way riskier regularly than I once assumed haha sticker on the entrance to a vape shop I used to go in said VAPING SAVES LIVES now these fuggin things make me feel like I will faint from a fuggin heart attack I shit you not I am healthy too very active I vape a lot though strains my shit way too hella hard so I am not sure it was the cannabis but it could have been complicating my blood pressure emergency I called 911 right after work that day could not walk right

Now I can appreciate the value of discussing what type of cannabis might be right for you

Yup. I’ve found put by experience that it isn’t a good idea to start smoking at 6 am when I wake to do dialysis b/c it’s smoking on a completely empty stomach. That brings a lot of ‘unwell’ feelimg, possibly ending up in a green out or white out.

So when I had a regular dialysis appointment, I asked nephrologist, pharmacist and dietitian. 3 different answers; but it seems that I can expect a transient drop in blood pressure, slight increase in pulse rate and possibly lowered blood sugar.

I know that pulse and BP can be affected (measured it myself) by weed. It wouldn’t surprise me that blood sugar can somehow be impacted (increased/decreased insulin production? Increased/decreased insulin sensitivity at receptors).

Tom
diaysis patients stoned are fine if they dont drop their bp

everyones different some are better cause it brings down their high bp and makes them sleep through it

some have a panic attack in the first half hour and drop bp and then fine after that.

also dont eat loads on HDx and then go rapidly unconscious and vomit
and when we smoke what do we want to do? drink loads of fluid (bring your bp up) and eat lots of food (bring your bp down)

so it can lead to behaviours

It's just i happen to be vaping and my blood sugar dropped to 52. This happens a lot and I'll talk to my doctor but perhaps I don't want to tell my doctor how's much I vape I want him to focus on other problems. Maybe it is weed or when they say it lowers your blood sugar so they(Google) mean it lowers it the second you vape or is it more casual then that?
I am an daily insulin user and I have never noticed pot affecting my blood sugar. That's my experience. I don't think your doctor will judge you if you tell him, I know mine didn't. It is certainly possible though.

I defo feel like weed makes me temporary anemic etc a chocolate bar or something eaten before hand helps a lot

Problem compounded is how weed effects are not consistent and blood sugar isn't as well. No common ground for anyone really. Just go slow with whatever. That's the thing about diabetes is everything has to be thought through. Do what work for you.
I am glad I don't drink that would be really difficult, anyone care to comment?