Requests Bluelight drug icons project - community input wanted!

Form for pharma pill would be my avatar = CII icon and/or a CIV icon
Thanks for this - any chance you can explain further? I'm not familiar with what CII and CIV actually means. Always keen to learn :)

Thanks for this - any chance you can explain further? I'm not familiar with what CII and CIV actually means. Always keen to learn :)
I guess it’s a bad example because it’s the logo they put on narcotics drugs according to how badly the American DEA has classed them. We have many non us member as they would not recognize it

CI are the worst (schedule 1). This is heroin lsd an lsd weed defined as zero medical value and high potential for abuse

CII are high potential for abuse but medical value such as meth and oxycodone.

CIII is bupe

CIV is less hard drugs like benzos

I guess it’s a bad example because it’s the logo they put on narcotics drugs according to how badly the American DEA has classed them. We have many non us member as they would not recognize it

CI are the worst (schedule 1). This is heroin lsd an lsd weed defined as zero medical value and high potential for abuse

CII are high potential for abuse but medical value such as meth and oxycodone.

CIII is bupe

CIV is less hard drugs like benzos
Got it thanks. Aware of the schedules in the US, not aware of the CI-IV way of notating them til now :)

These are some great suggestions. Perhaps it would be good to also add one for fentanyl test strips? Considering how important and easy this test method is I think it deserves a spot.

I made this reagent testing how to GIF. In case you need any inspiration. Feel free to use it.

Also, I'm a HUGE fan of The Noun Project. You can upload icon sets and distribute with creative commons license there. Definitely worth doing imho.

These are some great suggestions. Perhaps it would be good to also add one for fentanyl test strips? Considering how important and easy this test method is I think it deserves a spot.

I made this reagent testing how to GIF. In case you need any inspiration. Feel free to use it.

Also, I'm a HUGE fan of The Noun Project. You can upload icon sets and distribute with creative commons license there. Definitely worth doing imho.
Hey cyrilio

I must be channeling your energy as we just swapped out on of them for fentanyl strips.

I'll check out the how to gif.

And cool, I hadn't seen the noun project. Sounds like a great way to make it more accessible. Will return to it once icons complete!

Smiley shaking and holding “I need drugs!” sign – when bad WD hits and you have need to share it with the world

Smiley jumping up and down holding “I need drugs!” sign – when good party could hit in and you have need to share it with the world

Smiley flashing neon colors and holding “I need drugs!” sign – when you’re high but would like to get higher and have need to share it with the world

Hey cyrilio

I must be channeling your energy as we just swapped out on of them for fentanyl strips.

I'll check out the how to gif.

And cool, I hadn't seen the noun project. Sounds like a great way to make it more accessible. Will return to it once icons complete!
My very first post 😺

The most addictive (legal and available) form of Fentanyl is the lozenge, brand name Actiq. It's in the form of a lollipop with a distinctly shaped stick. You rub it on your gums and under your tongue, until it dissolves. It hits with a powerful blast of pain relief and mellow very quickly. It's made for end stage cancer pain, but is used sometimes for other types of very severe pain - I used it for a few years for trigeminal neuralgia, was then able to get other meds working better, and went down to a less powerful pain med. Honestly, she probably overmedicated me (this is just one example), and I'm on considerably fewer pain meds now. I really did love the Actiq, though.

I actually do have a point. How about an icon in the shape of an Actiq pop? Anyone who has used or seen one will know what it is right away.

My very first post 😺

The most addictive (legal and available) form of Fentanyl is the lozenge, brand name Actiq. It's in the form of a lollipop with a distinctly shaped stick. You rub it on your gums and under your tongue, until it dissolves. It hits with a powerful blast of pain relief and mellow very quickly. It's made for end stage cancer pain, but is used sometimes for other types of very severe pain - I used it for a few years for trigeminal neuralgia, was then able to get other meds working better, and went down to a less powerful pain med. Honestly, she probably overmedicated me (this is just one example), and I'm on considerably fewer pain meds now. I really did love the Actiq, though.

I actually do have a point. How about an icon in the shape of an Actiq pop? Anyone who has used or seen one will know what it is right away.
Wow, your first post. Welcome!

This is such a good idea. Would you be able to link to an image of the Actiq pop so we get that right? I think this should be in the list for round 2, given we already have 20 icons for round 1.

What a fantastic project! Just a couple thoughts from my side.

For Buprenorphine/Suboxone, I think it would be easily identifiable if we used a single, round, orange pill.
Psilanaut got me thinking how to go about depicting opioid agonist therapy (for example, with methadone and buprenorphine) as it's commonly discussed here.

Thanks. It's tricky as we won't necessarily have the exact drug type but rather the form. Although maybe we can design a generic but easily identifiable version of a couple of common pharma drugs, as mentioned above with Xanax bars and by yourself with Bupe.
It is really tricky because each therapy is available in several formulations and delivery systems that differ between and within countries. For example, with buprenorphine there are several formulations of available: a monobuprenorphine formulation and buprenorphine–naloxone formulations, administered sublingually, and, more recently, extended-release depot formulations. I'm not sure how we'd best capture these routes of administration (especially subcutaneous injections and implants, e.g. long-acting injectable depot buprenorphine)? I don't have any suggestions - and my icon-design skills aren't really up to scratch - but just thought I'd throw this out there as something to discuss.

Drug types would also be tricky, as a round orange pill might be identifiable to some in a particular context, but not others. For example, some in Australia might identify a buprenorphine-suboxone film (and/or a 2mg or 8mg sublingual tablet), however, Bluelight members from countries where the film is not available wouldn't (for example, South Africa).

I think it would be really difficult to cater for every persons' context and sense of familiarity of icons across the different categories. Anyway, just some food for thought and discussion. Look forward to seeing this project grow!

Last edited:
Thanks @Imaginarium
Perhaps for round 2, we could have an icon for - say - methadone or buprenorphine -which includes how it is presented in different parts of the world. Shows the global nature of Bluelight!

Bupe icon is orange reckitt bankaheiser 8mg pill that is “lit up” and placed where the red light would be on a vertical three light traffic light, so instead of a red light lit up it would be a reddish orange to be true to what the pill looks like

Methadone could be handcuffs that appear to be made of red dripping liquid, or it could be a hand holding a little cup of red liquid that also has a handcuff on the wrist

For the ecstasy pill, I vote for white lightning bolts or for a Pac-Man, or a Mitsubishi pressed pill

We have prototypes of the 20 icons. We would love your input. At this stage please comment on how they can be improved, especially whether or not they don't match up with what's actually happening. Input by June 30 would be great! Here's the link you can comment on.

Remember that whatever isn't covered in these 20 we can look at for another round of icons, down the track.

These all look very polished. I have a mild concern that the naloxone one is kind of ambiguous, but I also don't have any solid advice how to make it better in a pictographic manner, so I think it's good enough.

Excellent work! Especially love the Recovery hug 🫂🥰 The only consideration that came to my mind was regarding the Naloxone icon including a red cross type symbol to indicate medical (emergency) care? 🏥

1. [form] Capsule (generic)
2. [form] Illicit tablet (e.g. 'ecstasy' pill)
3. [form] Ziplock bag of powder (generic, could be cocaine, heroin, speed, etc)
4. [form] Cannabis leaf
5. [form] LSD blotter
6. [form] Pharma pills (e.g. looks like generic medicine, rather than illicit tablet - something like a xanax bar?)
7. [form] Psychedelic
tenor.gif
amethyst-deceiver-mushrooms.jpg

8. [form]
9. [route of admin] syringe
10. [roa] snorting lines of powder
11. [roa] glass pipe e.g. for meth/crack
12. [roa] bong / water pipe
13. [roa] vape
14. [roa] Edible
gummy-bear-on-a-white-background.jpg

15. [hr technique] reagent test kit