News Bluelight Research on Ketamine as a Treatment for Depression and PTSD

Bluelight Research on Ketamine as a Treatment for Depression and PTSD

Bluelight would like to congratulate Tharcila Chaves and her colleagues on their recent publication: The use of ketamine to cope with depression and post-traumatic stress disorder: A qualitative analysis of the discourses posted on a popular online forum. The paper was published in The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse.

The abstract is quoted below:

Background
Because of the shortcomings of traditional pharmacotherapy for major depressive disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), there has been growing interest in the rapid mood-enhancing effect of ketamine.

Objectives
To analyze what has been posted about ketamine use for dealing with self-reported depression and/or PTSD on one of the biggest international message boards on the internet.

Methods
Qualitative study with online observation of threaded discussions on Bluelight. In-depth online searches were conducted in 2018. Twenty-nine threads, with a total of 708 units of analysis, were selected and subjected to content analysis, where, via a coding process, the units of analysis were organized into nodes.

Results
Despite having several negative effects (e.g. dizziness, nausea and inability to talk), the examined discourses suggested that the use of ketamine to elevate mood was both efficient and worthwhile. Intranasal use was the most common route of administration mentioned. We traced how the mood enhancement caused by ketamine is perceived: the loss of pleasure disappears, as well as the depressed mood; the markedly diminished interest in activities vanishes and motivation comes back. From all the posts analyzed, only two reported negative outcomes (i.e. no mood-enhancing effect). The most mentioned adverse event was damage to the urinary bladder and the kidneys in cases of misuse.

Conclusion
Although online research of user-generated content has its limitations in terms of reliability and validity, the present study adds relevant information on the use of ketamine for managing depression and PTSD, whether this use is done legally or not.

Annotated version of the final paragraph in the conclusion of the article is quoted below:

Ketamine appears to be a potential tool in managing depressive symptoms. The increasing popularity of ketamine clinics and the FDA approval of esketamine for TRD (treatment resistant depression) say a lot about the current status of off-label ketamine: it seems to work in several situations and people are already benefiting from it (not only people living with depression or PTSD; another popular off-label use of ketamine is for treating chronic pain). Ketamine has the potential to benefit a big group of patients who do not respond to the available therapies. It is considered by the World Health Organization an essential medicine and restricting it has harmed patients, with no reduction in recreational use. More scientific research is needed, naturally, but there is already a substantial amount of data suggesting that ketamine is effective and safe. “If they don’t bring us the treatment, we will make it ourselves”, a T1 member stated (Bluelight quote from thread no. 1). From the black market to the white coat, ketamine as a mood enhancer has been presenting positive results in handling depression and PTSD, giving a novel approach to the pathophysiology and therapy of these conditions.

I think we should be proud to have contributed to an article that advocated greater availability of ketamine as a medicine for depression and PTSD. :)

Note that the full-text article is behind a paywall, but if you have issues accessing and want the pdf, send an email to [email protected]

You should seriously investigate both 2-fluoro as well as deschloroketamine, and of course methoxetamine. It is so sad that these compounds will vanish into nirvana after stupid legislations ban them even when nothing really bad happens until somebody uses them absolutely recklessly and that's true with any compound. It's easier to kill yourself off OTC paracetamol than with a dissociative probably.

MXE afaik doesn't share the physical immobilization (I can't tell because I don't get it from K either) so one of the side effects, inability to speak, would fall off. Never got nausea either. Also all of them are lighter on the body and share the sustained antidepressant effect, to me personally they are much more effective but at least equally safe as K.

It's fucked up that we now have a S-Ket nasal spray approved for use against therapy resistant depression in Switzerland and they even start with around 50mg and increase it to a remarkable 84mg but it is strictly limited to application only under supervision, with vital signs monitored (when K is used exactly for the reason that this is not required and in much higher, anesthetic doses) and all. I wouldn't want to get my first dissociation in a hospital for sure and neither do I want to go twice a week into one.

But I'm glad to see K being approved at all, never imagined that this could ever happen a decade ago when I individually discovered the huge potential of dissociatives against depression and failed to convince doctors even after first evidence popped up and DXM entered clinical trials in combination with bupropion (another really fucked up thing, this combo is too heavily stimulating for me to tolerate it).

Mental addiction is a thing with dissociatives but docs could just give you one or two doses every week and very little people would consider giving their remedy away. After all we don't see SSRIs being sold often either for example.

If il remember correct it's the antagonist activity on the NMDA at low doses ie. 30mg every couple orr few days ... For depression resistant to SSRIs there are many reports of the therapeutic benefits of Ketamine...
Then there's k holing and the recreational and therapeutic values.... But I became a zombie...
Mxe... Very interesting too.... Would love to trip in good company....

Thank you to the research team and whoever posted this. I have treatment resistant depression (dysthymia) and have been on various pharmacological treatments for decades; all the first line treatments. Ultimately I have wound up on amphetamine as it has been the only thing to provide consistent releif for years; initially bupropion provided some relief and thus realized that altering norepinephrine and dopamine relieves my depressive symptoms.

I had the opportunity to try ketamine recently in doses of 80mg and 100mg intranasally; note this is not in a medical setting. I noticed a great lift in symptoms of depression for the week following administration.

I am now very interested in trying this with a medical professional and intend to talk to my psychiatrist about it. Unfortunately all the ketamine clinics around my area refuse to provide treatment if you are taking benzodiazepines, which I am, and I'm not willing to stop right now.

I have used many tryptamines and phenethylamines throughout my life, though not in many years. The days in which I took those things regularly I recall feeling much less depressed and much more optimistic.

SWIM - "I use .1g / 100mg of ketamine when feeling depressed, It would honestly make me feel better.
That person was very depressed and would use ketamine and start dancing and being happy, without a care of what made him upset."
This person also says that K-holes only have a bright light.

Last edited:
SWIM - I use .1g / 100mg of ketamine when feeling depressed, It would honestly make me feel better.
That person was very depressed and would use ketamine and start dancing and being happy, without a care of what made him upset.
This person also says that K-holes only have a bright light.

Hi. Welcome to BL. We don't like the use of SWIM here

SWIM - Someone who isn't me (Use of this term is discouraged on BL; it is used on some forums in an attempt to avoid incriminating oneself, e.g. "SWIM is considering manufacturing meth, what does SWIM need to know?". There is no evidence that this provides any protection from legal repercussions, and it makes your posts hard to follow. Also, many people switch between "SWIM" and "I" in the same post. Finally, you shouldn't be incriminating yourself (drug synthesis, dealing, etc) on Bluelight anyway)

We're quite pleased you chose to join us, and look forward to your interactions on the site. But please, drop the use of SWIM. You even mixed it with "I" in your post, as we predicted. ;)

I've experimented quite extensively with 2-FDCK and can attest to similar anti-depressant properties as Ketamine. Intranasal 100-200mg (my tolerance is high). Also combine with green tea or an EGCg supplement for bladder support. My latest investigation is with https://www.mindbloom.co/ . They are sending out oral Ketamine - if anyone has any experience with oral ketamine (not IV) and/or MindBloom I would love to learn more.

I've experimented quite extensively with 2-FDCK and can attest to similar anti-depressant properties as Ketamine. Intranasal 100-200mg (my tolerance is high). Also combine with green tea or an EGCg supplement for bladder support. My latest investigation is with https://www.mindbloom.co/ . They are sending out oral Ketamine - if anyone has any experience with oral ketamine (not IV) and/or MindBloom I would love to learn more.

I was curious & checked out the mindbloom site- took their little assessment. They do not have clinicians in my state yet, so that was the end of that for now... figured I’d share.

I was curious & checked out the mindbloom site- took their little assessment. They do not have clinicians in my state yet, so that was the end of that for now... figured I’d share.
Thanks - they are good people. If you know anyone who would be interested and have the necessary credentials I'm sure they would love to hear from them.

Bluelight would like to congratulate Tharcila Chaves and her colleagues on their recent publication: The use of ketamine to cope with depression and post-traumatic stress disorder: A qualitative analysis of the discourses posted on a popular online forum. The paper was published in The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse.

Background
Because of the shortcomings of traditional pharmacotherapy for major depressive disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), there has been growing interest in the rapid mood-enhancing effect of ketamine.

Objectives
To analyze what has been posted about ketamine use for dealing with self-reported depression and/or PTSD on one of the biggest international message boards on the internet.

Methods
Qualitative study with online observation of threaded discussions on Bluelight. In-depth online searches were conducted in 2018. Twenty-nine threads, with a total of 708 units of analysis, were selected and subjected to content analysis, where, via a coding process, the units of analysis were organized into nodes.

Results
Despite having several negative effects (e.g. dizziness, nausea and inability to talk), the examined discourses suggested that the use of ketamine to elevate mood was both efficient and worthwhile. Intranasal use was the most common route of administration mentioned. We traced how the mood enhancement caused by ketamine is perceived: the loss of pleasure disappears, as well as the depressed mood; the markedly diminished interest in activities vanishes and motivation comes back. From all the posts analyzed, only two reported negative outcomes (i.e. no mood-enhancing effect). The most mentioned adverse event was damage to the urinary bladder and the kidneys in cases of misuse.

Conclusion
Although online research of user-generated content has its limitations in terms of reliability and validity, the present study adds relevant information on the use of ketamine for managing depression and PTSD, whether this use is done legally or not.

Annotated version of the final paragraph in the conclusion of the article is quoted below:

Ketamine appears to be a potential tool in managing depressive symptoms. The increasing popularity of ketamine clinics and the FDA approval of esketamine for TRD (treatment resistant depression) say a lot about the current status of off-label ketamine: it seems to work in several situations and people are already benefiting from it (not only people living with depression or PTSD; another popular off-label use of ketamine is for treating chronic pain). Ketamine has the potential to benefit a big group of patients who do not respond to the available therapies. It is considered by the World Health Organization an essential medicine and restricting it has harmed patients, with no reduction in recreational use. More scientific research is needed, naturally, but there is already a substantial amount of data suggesting that ketamine is effective and safe. “If they don’t bring us the treatment, we will make it ourselves”, a T1 member stated (Bluelight quote from thread no. 1). From the black market to the white coat, ketamine as a mood enhancer has been presenting positive results in handling depression and PTSD, giving a novel approach to the pathophysiology and therapy of these conditions.

I think we should be proud to have contributed to an article that advocated greater availability of ketamine as a medicine for depression and PTSD. :)

Note that the full-text article is behind a paywall, but if you have issues accessing and want the pdf, send an email to [email protected]
...great work!!

Ketamine, MXE & 2-FDCK have helped sooo much in coping with phantom limb pain/neuropathic pain, it's just criminal that docs are so reticent to prescribe it. AFOAF tried s-isomer (40mg) for diabetic neuropathy and experienced being totally pain free for the first time in years (in fact she butst into tears of joy). Up until now, docs have just been upping the dose of morphine (120mg/day at last count), that has been fuck all help with the pain (omly opiates that help neuropathic pain are ones with NMDA antagonist activity).
Then again my ex, who is an NHS toxicologist has a pretty low opinion about most doctors knowledge of pharmacology!

Has a similar analysis been done for ketamine use in chronic pain patients that do not respond to traditional opiate therapy? The literature is relatively weak in supporting its use to “reset”
the complex endogenous pain system (via NMDA receptors) but I suppose there’s logic to it. I am trying an infusion soon. I’ve hated the anxiety from ketamine I got in hospital but I suspect the dose with too high. There were snakes dripping from the ceiling. Not okay. It’s hard to separate the depression from the chronic pain at this point and ketamine has been suggested by several docs now

Background

Objectives

Methods

Results

Conclusion

Be aware that the poleece are requesting paramedics use ketamine to calm so called violent suspects while being arrested. I'm making a point of contention about the misuse and misinformation about how drugs are being used and the results being manipulated for use by government. Just throwing the word "awareness" out there in a different context.

You should seriously investigate both 2-fluoro as well as deschloroketamine, and of course methoxetamine. It is so sad that these compounds will vanish into nirvana after stupid legislations ban them even when nothing really bad happens until somebody uses them absolutely recklessly and that's true with any compound. It's easier to kill yourself off OTC paracetamol than with a dissociative probably.

MXE afaik doesn't share the physical immobilization (I can't tell because I don't get it from K either) so one of the side effects, inability to speak, would fall off. Never got nausea either. Also all of them are lighter on the body and share the sustained antidepressant effect, to me personally they are much more effective but at least equally safe as K.

It's fucked up that we now have a S-Ket nasal spray approved for use against therapy resistant depression in Switzerland and they even start with around 50mg and increase it to a remarkable 84mg but it is strictly limited to application only under supervision, with vital signs monitored (when K is used exactly for the reason that this is not required and in much higher, anesthetic doses) and all. I wouldn't want to get my first dissociation in a hospital for sure and neither do I want to go twice a week into one.

But I'm glad to see K being approved at all, never imagined that this could ever happen a decade ago when I individually discovered the huge potential of dissociatives against depression and failed to convince doctors even after first evidence popped up and DXM entered clinical trials in combination with bupropion (another really fucked up thing, this combo is too heavily stimulating for me to tolerate it).

Mental addiction is a thing with dissociatives but docs could just give you one or two doses every week and very little people would consider giving their remedy away. After all we don't see SSRIs being sold often either for example.
So whats the best thing for PTSD now?

I’m currently detoxing from 120mg Oxycodone. Next week I’m starting a outpatient program that includes ten days of IV amino acids and also ketamine assisted therapy. I’m interested if anyone has had success with this.