• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

⫸STICKY⫷ Books - Authors & Books Discussion

Maybe I'll write a more elaborate list of my favorite authors, but currently, I've been focused on write short narrative stories of fantasy,so I'm mesmerized with Edgar Allan Poe (I love the Morgue street story and Eleanor. I also love "The raven" and Annabel Lee). Kafka is also an author I've read a lot lately, "The process" is my favorite story.
There is a brazilian writer that I wish that people could learn more about her,that is Clarice Lispector: she writes beautifully her tales. Machado de Assis is another braziliam author that I've wish people could learn about him, I love his "fancy irony".
These days,I've read a very nice tale of Nathaniel Hawthorne named " The young Goodman Brown" ( I think this is the title in English) and I was hooked up. I'm looking for more fantastical tales to help on my research to write.
I love Kafka too. I was thinking I hadn't read The Process, then I realised this was just a different way of translating the title of the novel that I know as The Trial.

I've only read snippets of Lispector when she's quoted by the likes of Hélène Cixous.

In terms of short narratives of fantasy, do you like the stories of Borges? Some of his poems are also short, fantastical narratives. Usually with a philosophical dimension.

I tend to be drawn to prose poetry or short fiction that could pass as prose poetry, such as Lydia Davis.

I'm currently on Max Müller's Translation of the Khândogya (Chandogya) Upanishad in the first volume of The Sacred Books of The East. A later book in the volume is referenced by Schopenhauer in his Fourfold Root of The Principle of Sufficient Reason to illustrate "there is no cognition of the cognizing because it would require that the subject separate itself from cognizing and yet cognize the cognizing, which is impossible."

20230422-172401.jpg

Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo excellent reads

I'm currently on Max Müller's Translation of the Khândogya (Chandogya) Upanishad in the first volume of The Sacred Books of The East. A later book in the volume is referenced by Schopenhauer in his Fourfold Root of The Principle of Sufficient Reason to illustrate "there is no cognition of the cognizing because it would require that the subject separate itself from cognizing and yet cognize the cognizing, which is impossible."

There's a common joke I've heard, You must be so thoroughly educated that you've become an idiot...or as the apostle Paul was accused of 'Much learning has made you mad'

The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy by Douglas Adams
DUNE by Frank and Brian Herbert
Godel. Escher. Bach. Eternal Golden Braid.by hofstadter
A coney Island of the mind by lawrence ferlinghetti
Solitudes crowded with loneliness by Bob Kaufman
PIHKAL and TIHKAL and others by Alexander Shulgin

Disgrace written by J.M. Coetzee is great. The layers of the society after apartheid, the dynamic of power between teacher-student, the main character despicable, but he loves his daughter and shows empathy for a dog.
How the protagonist deal with the tragedy with his daughter...
And the end... As a writer and an animal lover the end touched me.
Edit: I don't like David Laurie