• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: cduggles | Mysterier

⫸STICKY⫷ Books - Authors & Books Discussion

deficiT

Administrator
Staff member
Have had looooootts of time to read since I've been in rehab.

Finished up "Middle Men" by Jim Gavin the other day. It was a really good little collection of stories, documenting just the everyday grind and the daily sorrows we deal with.

Currently reading "Steppenwolf" by Hermann Hesse, and "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. Both are really awesome so far!

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
AVvXsEgCF1KJ9qM4_-FADkM2GyJ4F98dOsXYmEaqIk5oycntG9eoGqqqZleD6hPNVrF6z2z6KElw9GfAV3Vnpnjm4gOQVGc9fD3WntUNIVJkf-TUiR1dqiiB7VZ3Ab1kaRiPHvtZtwYTDCXfP1bZOhJ3M2t2DBTuQzyb2KWgh1sgwXpbVXjLIF5x2SptP_goSw=s1599

francoise sagan by bert hardy, 1955

PriestTheyCalledHim

Temporary Ban
Just some authors I stan (obviously NO author has ALL good books, even the best of the best write the occasional stinker):

Richard Laymon
James Herbert
Stephen King
Dean Koontz
Irvine Welsh
Joe Hill
Matt Shaw
Jon Athan
Tess Gerritsen
Lee Child
Brett Easton Ellis
William S Burroughs
Hunter S Thompson
Hubert Selby Jr
Cassandra Clare
The Barns Brothers
Bentley Little
Ian McEwan
John Lindqvist
Edgar Cantero
David Wong
Sebastien de Castell
J.G. Ballard
Poppy Z Brite
William Peter Blatty
Wrath James White
Brian Keene
Edward Lee
Jack Ketchum
Bryan Smith
S.E. Hinton
Tim Miller
Graham Masterton
Shaun Hutson
Marya Hornbacher
Grady Hendrix
Elizabeth Wurtzel
Clive Barker
Jon Ronson
Carlton Mellick III
J.T. Leroy
If you like those authors you will probably enjoy Peter Straub, Jack Kerouac, and Whitley Strieber. I am reading Koko by Peter Straub and I had read the Talisman he wrote with Stephen King but have not read the sequel to it they both wrote. I like Strieber's early novels but I am not really sure if he was abducted by aliens? Wouldn't he have went with them?

I remember the JT leroy hoax. I knew she was not a teenage boy or abused, as Laura Albert AKA J.T. leroy was writing in a zine about bisexuality in the early 1990s, but the writing was not bad, however I knew it was fiction, but the books were at the time heavily marketed and promoted and she would do or use anyone for fame/attention.

Last edited:

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
If you like those authors you will probably enjoy Peter Straub, Jack Kerouac, and Whitley Strieber. I am reading Koko by Peter Straub and I had read the Talisman he wrote with Stephen King but have not read the sequel to it they both wrote. I like Strieber's early novels but I am not really sure if he was abducted by aliens? Wouldn't he have went with them?

I remember the JT leroy hoax. I knew she was not a teenage boy or abused, as Laura Albert AKA J.T. leroy was writing in a zine about bisexuality in the early 1990s, but the writing was not bad, however I knew it was fiction, but the books were at the time heavily marketed and promoted and she would do or use anyone for fame/attention.

The sequel Black House - I actually enjoyed it even more than Talisman.

I recently read On the Road and loved it!

Yes, "J.T. Leroy" was actually a husband-and-wife writer team. That doesn't take away from how good Sarah and particularly The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things are, but obviously people weren't happy that they were a) actual fiction and b) not written by a homeless, transsexual* 17 year old prostitute with almost no schooling.

*transsexual was the accepted term at the time. Obviously we'd now say "transgender".

Puff

Bluelighter
Maybe I'll write a more elaborate list of my favorite authors, but currently, I've been focused on write short narrative stories of fantasy,so I'm mesmerized with Edgar Allan Poe (I love the Morgue street story and Eleanor. I also love "The raven" and Annabel Lee). Kafka is also an author I've read a lot lately, "The process" is my favorite story.
There is a brazilian writer that I wish that people could learn more about her,that is Clarice Lispector: she writes beautifully her tales. Machado de Assis is another braziliam author that I've wish people could learn about him, I love his "fancy irony".
These days,I've read a very nice tale of Nathaniel Hawthorne named " The young Goodman Brown" ( I think this is the title in English) and I was hooked up. I'm looking for more fantastical tales to help on my research to write.

AbbeyLee

Bluelighter
I ❤️ Margaret Atwood

A specially commissioned, unburnable edition of Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale has been auctioned for $130,000, Sotheby’s announced on Tuesday.

Proceeds will be donated to PEN America, which advocates for free expression worldwide. The 384-page book consists mainly of Cinefoil, a specially treated aluminum product, and was announced last month at PEN’s annual fundraising gala.