• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can anyone give tips on how to sleep during opiate/opioid withdrawal?

Gagabapentin is less addictive than pregabalin, it is harder to develop dependence and the withdrawal is less severe. So alternating is an attempt to mitigate any dependence buildup. Though haven't used any gabapentin yet as I figured it would be best to use the pregabalin first and then gabapentin to wean down on the gabapentinoid front. I don't have a lot of either. Probably 2 more uses of pregabalin and a few days of gabapentin.
Indeed!? I had the imagination that the only difference between the two is that pregabalin doesn't have a ceiling effect in how much can be absorbed in a given time. So they don't have complete cross tolerance? Gonna buy some gabapentin tomorrow...

But what's really effective too against the restlessness (which for me is one of the worst effects, when I'm drained and lethargic but horribly restless) are D3 preferring dopamine agonists like pramipexole. It doesn't get you high like the gabapentinoids can but it takes the restlessness away. Loperamide+pregabalin+pramipexole might make the best combo for withdrawal out of what's available off the pharmacy.

This isn't actual good advice, but I kicked my opiate addiction with weed. It really helped my appetite, nausea, restlessness, anxiety & insomnia. Trazadone caused me to faint while sitting down to pee & resulted in me busting my head open on the corner of the cabinet. I don't see how anyone could enjoy Tramadol...it makes me feel like I've got motion sickness. I used to handle 60mg of percocet much better than 10 mg of Tramadol.

This isn't actual good advice, but I kicked my opiate addiction with weed. It really helped my appetite, nausea, restlessness, anxiety & insomnia. Trazadone caused me to faint while sitting down to pee & resulted in me busting my head open on the corner of the cabinet. I don't see how anyone could enjoy Tramadol...it makes me feel like I've got motion sickness. I used to handle 60mg of percocet much better than 10 mg of Tramadol.
10mg of tramadol, are you serious or is it a typo meaning 100mg?

Trazodone's a weird drug for sure. I had some of the most trippy dreams while on trazodone for sleep, and that was just 100mg I think. But yeah these antihistamines can be pretty brutal, I somehow have a high tolerance and the lower potency ones like trazodone or diphenhydramine don't sedate me but with mirtazapine I can easily imagine to injure oneself, it was just brutal. Yet even that one does next to nothing currently when I would need it. Guess I'm really gonna doctor-(sh)opping for adderall or lisdexamphetamine. Always thought that stims would exacerbate withdrawal which is described as an imbalance between inhibitory and excitatory functions but I guess that's not the complete thing.

Weed ... if you tolerate it, go for it.. I don't tolerate weed at relevant dosages, it makes me panic and that's the last thing I wanted when withdrawing.

I fucking hated trazadone. Might as well have been a low-grade roofie or seroquel. I don't like to feel suddenly heavy and knocked out. Opiates at least make you feel comfortable and not simply sedated.

10mg of tramadol, are you serious or is it a typo meaning 100mg?

Trazodone's a weird drug for sure. I had some of the most trippy dreams while on trazodone for sleep, and that was just 100mg I think. But yeah these antihistamines can be pretty brutal, I somehow have a high tolerance and the lower potency ones like trazodone or diphenhydramine don't sedate me but with mirtazapine I can easily imagine to injure oneself, it was just brutal. Yet even that one does next to nothing currently when I would need it. Guess I'm really gonna doctor-(sh)opping for adderall or lisdexamphetamine. Always thought that stims would exacerbate withdrawal which is described as an imbalance between inhibitory and excitatory functions but I guess that's not the complete thing.

Weed ... if you tolerate it, go for it.. I don't tolerate weed at relevant dosages, it makes me panic and that's the last thing I wanted when withdrawing.
Trazadone plainly sucks. I take ZzzQuil every night though and its technically just 50mg of diphenhydramine and 10% alcohol per dose (with or without acetaminophen, which I prefer it with acetaminophen since for whatever reason diphenhydramine started giving me pins and needles when I'm trying to sleep). The ZzzQuil basically serves to potentiate the opiates/opioids. I take melatonin on top of that just in case it really can help with better sleep quality. I'm all about a good night's rest, especially since I more or less work in a sweatshop now.

Last edited:
Oh and don't anyone even bother suggesting Ambien. I tried that when i had withdrawals over a decade ago and it evidently made me moan and fondle myself in my sleep. No thanks. If I'm already feeling half-dead, I don't need to add insult to injury by embarrassing myself like that again. Haha.

Melatonin's a weird one too, I tried various dosages from homeopathic (0.3mg) to heroic (15mg) and they all did ... nothing. I could as well eat aspartame or sugar. Don't know if this has to do with my doctor-initiated SSRI addiction, I tried numerous times to stop but always failed on the horrific dysphoria and electric shocks, restlessness - the withdrawal from S/NRIs is different yet comparable to opioids in the intensity. As SSRIs potentiate serotonin and melatonin's a related transmitter yet not affected by the SSRI so maybe the load of serotonin overshadows the melatonine.

Oh, Ambien - that one with the walruses, lol. It didn't even sedate me, but was pretty recreational for the hour or so it works. Zopiclone is a better one but the most bitter substance I ever acountered. It's so bitter that the trace amounts in your bloodstream create a bitter taste in the mouth.

Melatonin's a weird one too, I tried various dosages from homeopathic (0.3mg) to heroic (15mg) and they all did ... nothing. I could as well eat aspartame or sugar. Don't know if this has to do with my doctor-initiated SSRI addiction, I tried numerous times to stop but always failed on the horrific dysphoria and electric shocks, restlessness - the withdrawal from S/NRIs is different yet comparable to opioids in the intensity. As SSRIs potentiate serotonin and melatonin's a related transmitter yet not affected by the SSRI so maybe the load of serotonin overshadows the melatonine.

Oh, Ambien - that one with the walruses, lol. It didn't even sedate me, but was pretty recreational for the hour or so it works. Zopiclone is a better one but the most bitter substance I ever acountered. It's so bitter that the trace amounts in your bloodstream create a bitter taste in the mouth.
What brands of melatonin contain 15mg per dose? The highest I've been able to find was 10mg (what I currently take a night). Yet, if I ever decide to go cold turkey, I might avoid it altogether.

What brands of melatonin contain 15mg per dose? The highest I've been able to find was 10mg (what I currently take a night). Yet, if I ever decide to go cold turkey, I might avoid it altogether.
It was 5mg/dose but I just took three together but nothing, Maybe I should try a whole package at once because SOME effect it must have otherwise it'd be snake oil ...

SSRIs help like quetiapine, metazepine etc. also 5HTP, melatonin, low doses of an alternate opiate or opioid. Kava helps, GABA inducers help, theanine too. DXM can really help but there are side effects...

Indeed!? I had the imagination that the only difference between the two is that pregabalin doesn't have a ceiling effect in how much can be absorbed in a given time. So they don't have complete cross tolerance? Gonna buy some gabapentin tomorrow...

But what's really effective too against the restlessness (which for me is one of the worst effects, when I'm drained and lethargic but horribly restless) are D3 preferring dopamine agonists like pramipexole. It doesn't get you high like the gabapentinoids can but it takes the restlessness away. Loperamide+pregabalin+pramipexole might make the best combo for withdrawal out of what's available off the pharmacy.

I have always noticed that alternating drugs in the same "family" helps a little bit against developing tolerance and dependence. Not much but some. Gabapentin and lyrica are similar but lyrica is way more intense, in my experience. Seems to develop tolerance faster and has a worse withdrawal. I know people on here who have been prescribed both )at different times) and had awful withdrawals from pregabalin and very little from gabapentin.

Clonidine 0.1mg tablet hour before bed
Gabapentin 300mg x 3 after dinner (spaced out 40min apart or so)

Someone mentioned this combo on page 1 ….just had to say it. Clonidine is literally number 1, short of taking a Valium & Oxy combo before bed lol…that’s how amazingly effective Clonidine is. Can’t say enough good things about it

Clonidine helps with the RLS quite a bit. I don't find it as miraculous as some do but it certainly helps. Gabapentin, for me, is miraculous, though. Or even better, pregabalin (Lyrica).

Try high dose macuna pruriens and fo-ti. macuna gives you all the dopamine you need to stave off the RLS while fo-ti prevents the breakdown of said dopamine. anything added on that like those meds mentioned above or even kava and theanine will completely relax you and you wont be feeling the RLS.

The RLS is the worst symptom to me by far (worst physical symptom anyway, the depression/anxiety/anhedonia are probably the worst). Never thought to try that. Also never heard of fo-ti, gonna look it up.