• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can anyone give tips on how to sleep during opiate/opioid withdrawal?

The RLS is the worst symptom to me by far (worst physical symptom anyway, the depression/anxiety/anhedonia are probably the worst). Never thought to try that. Also never heard of fo-ti, gonna look it up.
Yeah, the restlessness is terrific but dopamine indeed helps a lot. While depression is bad, I at least can just wait for the time to pass but when restless seconds turn into hours and at some point would do just everything to stop it which then of course leads to relapse.. Dopamine agonists help too, pramipexole also helps sleeping in higher dosages. Mucuna pruriens or L-DOPA must be similar. Fo-Ti is new for me too, the Chinese have quite a few interesting herbals. Recently tried polygala tenuifola (wu-weizi, contains a triple reuptake inhibitor and NMDA antagonist) but was disappointed, did absolutely nothing, will try higher doses to check it out.

A quick DuckDuckGo for Fo-Ti showed me the usual suspects of pseudoscience websites telling that it would be liver toxic specially in high doses and when used for long time, that the traditional use includes insomnia and fatigue, but nothing about the real mechanisms - do you know more @OpiumWDsoldier?
Also why do seemingly all of these interesting herbs come with hepatoxicity risk? With kava kava it's pretty clear that it wasn't the kava itself but impurities yet when sourcing lesser known herbals I don't know how to be sure that they are of good quality. Even with the RCs seemingly drug test agencies have problems identifying all the lesser common impurities and herbals are much more complex..

Edit: Can only confirm again that low-dose stimulant can be of great help for (minor) withdrawals or post-acute shit. Not for sleep obviously but to be active and then sleep naturally or with some other sleeping aids. Can't say whether this just defers PAWS though or if you can get away with the correct timing.

Last edited:
You know, just in case the shit hits the fan and I gotta quit sooner than expected.
Imodium / Loperamide is an opioid, active at the 1mg dose level, and affordably available in 100×2mg bottles (CostCo is where I got mine). Please be aware that although Loperamide is an opioid, it is unable to cross the "blood/brain barrier" as is needed to cause activity at the μ-opioid receptors of the brain that affect the mind. But it is also quite effective at activating the μ-opioid receptors (and also some δ-opioid receptors) in the human gut that need some love to ensure that they remain useful for moving miniscule amounts of materials through at a slow speed, as well as limiting the nausea, bile production, and general inhumanity resulting from sudden cessation of availability of generally available Opioid agonist ligands!
also sip ice water slowly. Have a caretaker who cares about your well-being!

Loperamide does cross the BBB but it's actively transported out of that by P-glycoprotein which makes it centrally inactive below extreme dosages like 20-60mg but be aware that while some indeed used it to get high, there is unknown toxicity and unknown, individually variable dosage window.

It's effective against some peripheral withdrawal shit, primarily diarrhea.

Currently going through withdrawal myself, and pregabalin (lyrica) has been an absolute lifesaver. That and clonidine taken about an hour before bedtime. I was amazed at how well I felt. I was highly skeptical, but damn lol it works miracles for me. Oh, and the occasional edible or a bowl helps while you're waiting for the nightly clonidine to kick in.

Last edited:
just to respond to title
just work yo ass off until ya cant do no mo
wear yaself out physically

take a shower, fap (if ya can) and lay down. kinda works for me sometimes ymmv

The RLS is the worst symptom to me by far (worst physical symptom anyway, the depression/anxiety/anhedonia are probably the worst). Never thought to try that. Also never heard of fo-ti, gonna look it up.
RLS was the most unbearable symptom for me too.

just to respond to title
just work yo ass off until ya cant do no mo
wear yaself out physically

take a shower, fap (if ya can) and lay down. kinda works for me sometimes ymmv
Yep. I don't know what it is about withdrawals that makes my sex drive so insatiable that I'd rub myself raw. It wasn't a pleasant horniness though. It felt more like a compulsion. I guess that explains why I sleep-fondled myself during withdrawals after taking Ambien. If withdrawals make you horny somehow, then I guess Ambien will put your body on autopilot and let your innermost thoughts take the wheel. I guess I pulled a Roseanne Barr, blaming it on the Ambien and all. XD

By the way, how long does it normally take before y'all start feeling the withdrawals creeping up? For me it's 24hrs after my last dose--probably since I only dose once every 24hrs.

Last edited:
I agree with most others. Pregabs are essential wd equipment, kratom works for me if I'm not on subs. Seroquel if I am on subs and I take them too soon...

I'd probably use the Pain Relief ZzzQuil with 10% alcohol and acetaminophen in place of the Tylenol PM. I could use the diphenhydramine for sleep. Whatever helps.

I feel genuinely awful for everyone who has ever read yalls suggestions to take DIPHENHYDRAMINE products for SLEEP during OPIATE WITHDRAWAL....

Lol... it's called "kicking the habit for a reason." By hour 24 of abstinence restless leg syndrome symptoms should be firmly setting in with the rest of the anxiety and restlessness. Takes about 40-60mg of Valium / 10-15mg klonopin / 4-6mg xanax and 25mg ambien ER to get about 5 hrs of sleep after 72 hrs of suffering with zero sleep during a cold turkey kick amd at that point ots mainly the sheer exhaustion doing the work.

Diphenhydramine is known to make the creepy crawlies worse. Sure, you'll be tired as fuck, but as soon as you start to fall asleep it feels like spiders are crawling inside your fuckin hips, thighs and calves. This feeling intensifies the more you try to allow yourself to relax and fall asleep. The more diphenhydramine you take, the worse the side effect becomes during withdrawal. Do not expect be fall asleep any time soon.

Fucks sake, I'd sooner pound shots of Everclear 90% ABV than ever take another fucking benadryl during withdrawal to sleep. Hydroxizone is a much better option if you go the route of an anti histamine but the fact is you're never gonna sleep as much as you want during withdrawal.

We're used to practically being numb all the time and suddenly you feel every molecule of oxygen on your skin and every emotion you've ever felt all at once. Good luck getting rest without lots of exercise, which you won't even want to consider trying til you've gotten through the worst of the physical around day 5-7.

Loperamide +pregabalin +gabapentin +clonazepam
Loperamide only for the first 3-4 days
Same with pregabalin-gaba(take as needed)
Clonazepam for 2 weeks twice a day.
I haven't tried clonidine but they say it works too.
Hope u guys don't suffer going cold turkey, it's horrible. U guys can do it 💪

I
I feel genuinely awful for everyone who has ever read yalls suggestions to take DIPHENHYDRAMINE products for SLEEP during OPIATE WITHDRAWAL....

Lol... it's called "kicking the habit for a reason." By hour 24 of abstinence restless leg syndrome symptoms should be firmly setting in with the rest of the anxiety and restlessness. Takes about 40-60mg of Valium / 10-15mg klonopin / 4-6mg xanax and 25mg ambien ER to get about 5 hrs of sleep after 72 hrs of suffering with zero sleep during a cold turkey kick amd at that point ots mainly the sheer exhaustion doing the work.

Diphenhydramine is known to make the creepy crawlies worse. Sure, you'll be tired as fuck, but as soon as you start to fall asleep it feels like spiders are crawling inside your fuckin hips, thighs and calves. This feeling intensifies the more you try to allow yourself to relax and fall asleep. The more diphenhydramine you take, the worse the side effect becomes during withdrawal. Do not expect be fall asleep any time soon.

Fucks sake, I'd sooner pound shots of Everclear 90% ABV than ever take another fucking benadryl during withdrawal to sleep. Hydroxizone is a much better option if you go the route of an anti histamine but the fact is you're never gonna sleep as much as you want during withdrawal.

We're used to practically being numb all the time and suddenly you feel every molecule of oxygen on your skin and every emotion you've ever felt all at once. Good luck getting rest without lots of exercise, which you won't even want to consider trying til you've gotten through the worst of the physical around day 5-7.

I guess the reason why I thought ZzzQuil might help is because in small doses or "therapeutic doses", if you will, can potentiate the effects of opiates/opioid. I can't stress "small doses" enough. I know from experience that larger doses of diphenhydramine can cause RLS in itself. I figured it might work the same in conjunction with Kratom. I'm no doctor though. I'm just an addict trying til get by day by day through trial and error.

Last edited:
Loperamide +pregabalin +gabapentin +clonazepam
Loperamide only for the first 3-4 days
Same with pregabalin-gaba(take as needed)
Clonazepam for 2 weeks twice a day.
I haven't tried clonidine but they say it works too.
Hope u guys don't suffer going cold turkey, it's horrible. U guys can do it 💪
Really any benzo or sedative helps during opiate/opioid withdrawal.

Yeah idk why it did that.

I've found that potentiation of opioids in general tends to lead to the faster onset of withdrawal in general, but thats beside the point.

In conjunction with other comfort meds and when you dont exceed standard clinical dosing guidlelines, diphenhydramine works fine as a sleep aid, but at a minimum I would want cyclobenzaprine or Soma in order to stop the leg spasming that withdrawal causes no matter what. Benzosand Z drugs helps way more for obvious reasons. Those spasms REALLY suck after the first night of no sleep.

Trust me I get it dude. I'm in the same boat. Trying to reinduct on my suboxone MAT regimen has been nearly impossible after my recent relapse with fent analogs. My tolerance is massive for both benzos amd opioids and I'm struggling. The last 2 times I've tried induction with standard doses I've been throwing into unexpected precipitated withdrawals so I'm just cold turkeying at home, bored and miserable. Permanently tired and incapable of sleeping

I have found after many of my own detoxes and personal experiments with my own body that sleeping during the daytime seems to be much easier for some reason while you're withdrawing. Best of luck and please stay safe 🙏