• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Can I tell my doctor about pregabalin abuse

Pregabalin is unlikely to cause brain damage even in high dosage, I and others have taken grams at once without ill effects. Yeah, it felt like there's the possibility for a seizure specially if mixed with other agents (nice, an anti-seizure med causing seizures but that's same with antidepressants causing depression) that can cause seizures (tramadol) but you would need to have gotten actual, strong seizures for any chance of damage.

But unfortunately yeah, telling your doc very probably won't do you any good. Abuse of medicine is something better not spoken about :/

Last edited:
First want to tell you that I am really sorry for your predicament and I didn't want to be rude.

So you are sure you have had a brain injury? If that is the case than you should tell your doctor what happened. Or you can tell him that you had a blackout and when you came back to consciousness you found bottle of your pregabalin with about 10 pills mising. If you are sure that there is something wrong and that you are wasting time than be honest. Pregabalin and tramadol are not worth not getting the treatment if your brain is getting worse. I didn't get that you were sure that you have brain damage from pregabalin. If that is the case - talk sincerely to your doctor.
It's ok

I'm not sure, I mentioned exercises in case if it actually is injury. It feels like it, but I can't tell anymore, I also feel extremely stupid. Maybe it is depression? I read that anxiety can cause specific head pains that I have, but it also can be neuralgia.
I had some issues before already, but they weren't of this scale. The most concerning are memory issues and reading/understanding longer sentences, I can't really read a book or watch a movie so that's really concerning. I think it's not getting worse, but it's not getting better either.
This doctor is really understanding and wants to help, so maybe he wouldn't make a deal out of it? but he's still a doctor.

Pregabalin is unlikely to cause brain damage even in high dosage, I and others have taken grams at once without ill effects. Yeah, it felt like there's the possibility for a seizure specially if mixed with other agents (nice, an anti-seizure med causing seizures but that's same with antidepressants causing depression) that can cause seizures (tramadol) but you would need to have gotten actual, strong seizures for any chance of damage.

But unfortunately yeah, telling your doc very probably won't do you any good. Abuse of medicine is something better not spoken about :/
Everyone is telling me that it shouldn't have caused any damage, but what it is then? at first, I thought that maybe it's withdrawal side effects, but it has been long enough since I was taking them and nothing changed.

but what it is then? at first, I thought that maybe it's withdrawal side effects, but it has been long enough since I was taking them and nothing changed.
Have you upped the dosage or started some other medication during this time? SSRIs or any SNDRI combination substance?

Have you upped the dosage or started some other medication during this time? SSRIs or any SNDRI combination substance?
I have started and stopped taking SSRIs meanwhile, right now I'm taking antipsychotics (SGA?) for maybe 2 weeks now

Last edited:
Well, look at the list of unwanted effects aka "side-effects" of those medications. That could be an answer... Especially cause those 2 class of drugs are notorious for this kind of side-effects. The latter does the things you are describing "for living"...

To be more precise - changing doses of SSRIs (or starting and stopping) can be responsible for cognitive sluggishness among other things. All of your symptoms can be induced by taking any of 2nd gen antipsychotic. Although less than 1st gen they impair your memory, reasoning, spatial and procedural learning, verbal fluency...all the things that are measured when IQ test is being made. They inhibit many dopamine, epinephrine and serotonin pathways and no wonder that you are feeling that you are having brain issues. This are most potent drugs used in psychiatry and they are given to people exactly to change them profoundly (mostly to inhibit and sedate).

With all this said I am not advising you to stop taking your medications. Talk to your doctor. But I wouldn't worry about brain damage from pregabalin too much.

Take care!