• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Cancer experiences

somnilicious

Bluelighter
I was recently diagnosed with non Hodgkin's lymphoma and I want to know if any other Blue lighters have ever been diagnosed with cancer. If so, what was your experience? Did you have to undergo chemotherapy? Did it change your perspective on life? How are you doing now after having come out the other side or are you still dealing with it?

shit. sorry man.

i haven't been diagnosed with cancer, but my dad had it a few years back. luckily his was caught early and was easily treatable as a result. it has changed his perspective on life, he has adopted a much healthier lifestyle as a result.

please comply with everything the doctors say. don't listen to any quack bullshit, they take money and let people die.

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis man, I really hope you are under the care of some great doctors. I don't have any personal advice to offer but I hope we here at Bluelight can support you in as many ways as possible throughout your journey. Much love <3

I was misdiagnosed with non-Hodkins lymphoma and I was incredibly scared. Went for a second opinion and the doc read my test results and the report from the other hem onc and chuckled saying "This guy shouldn't be practicing medicine. You don't have cancer." Most relief I have ever experienced. That being said I have known some people with cancer and watched them go through their experiences.

At the moment, my mother-in-law, who is truly a very nice person that I enjoy quite a bit has recently begun her journey with Stage 4 Endometrial Cancer. She went through her first round of chemo three weeks ago and feels like shit. Her outlook on life is fairly matter of fact, she is getting her affairs in order. She got a therapist almost immediately after the discovery that it wasn't just isloated in her uterus and had spread outside. She says that it is helping, but that it is hard to stay positive knowing the statistics.

The majority of people I know who have survived cancer (4 out of 6) came out of it stonger and more positive than before. One of them does Iron Man competitions now or something equally insane. The other two lost a lot because of the cost of treatment and are very resentful about that. That resentment causes them to be negative people who are very hard to spend time with. I know that the 4 positive ones saw a therapist throughout treatment and went to support groups and did everything they could to survive. They treat every day above ground as a blessing.

I hope that your treatment goes well. Be brave and stay positive and you'll very likely get through this. Find support and start therapy ASAP.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I am actually relieved to have learned I have cancer because I have honestly known for sometime that something was wrong with me and now I have an explanation for my lack of energy and low mood and for once it is not my fault. I had been being treated poorly by some members of my family for sometime and now that has finally changed.
The news has honestly been a blessing because it has brought us closer, there has been less pettiness and it has initiated a lot of positive change.

I had thought my problems stemmed from my untreated hep-C, which I am now receiving treatment for so I am happy to learn my liver isn't failing yet. I'm taking a lot better care of myself.

I've never been afraid of dying, it's actually the living part that I've always found most difficult, not that I want to die. I'm grateful for everyday alive and it has really strengthened my resolve to make everyday count in the ways that truly matter in life. It has oddly improved my mental health.

I will check in every now and then and I hope everyone is having a good day and that if not may your clouds always have silver linings and may we always see the positive in everything because sometimes the best changes in life are often initiated by what was initially perceived as bad news.

God bless

Last edited: