• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cannabinoids promote neurogenesis, produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effect

sekio

Bluelight Crew

Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects

Wen Jiang, Yun Zhang, Lan Xiao, Jamie Van Cleemput, Shao-Ping Ji, Guang Bai and Xia Zhang
J Clin Invest. 2005;115(11):3104–3116. doi:10.1172/JCI25509.

The hippocampal dentate gyrus in the adult mammalian brain contains neural stem/progenitor cells (NS/PCs) capable of generating new neurons, i.e., neurogenesis. Most drugs of abuse examined to date decrease adult hippocampal neurogenesis, but the effects of cannabis (marijuana or cannabinoids) on hippocampal neurogenesis remain unknown. This study aimed at investigating the potential regulatory capacity of the potent synthetic cannabinoid HU210 on hippocampal neurogenesis and its possible correlation with behavioral change. We show that both embryonic and adult rat hippocampal NS/PCs are immunoreactive for CB1 cannabinoid receptors, indicating that cannabinoids could act on CB1 receptors to regulate neurogenesis. This hypothesis is supported by further findings that HU210 promotes proliferation, but not differentiation, of cultured embryonic hippocampal NS/PCs likely via a sequential activation of CB1 receptors, Gi/o proteins, and ERK signaling. Chronic, but not acute, HU210 treatment promoted neurogenesis in the hippocampal dentate gyrus of adult rats and exerted anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects. X-irradiation of the hippocampus blocked both the neurogenic and behavioral effects of chronic HU210 treatment, suggesting that chronic HU210 treatment produces anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects likely via promotion of hippocampal neurogenesis.

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/25509

Reddit discussion:
http://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/10782h/cannabinoids_promote_embryonic_and_adult/

In layman's terms, this suggests that long-term, high dose cannabinoid usage may not be as unhealthy as previously thought. It is commonly believed thatthe hippocampus is a critical part of memory formation - if cannabinoids are promoting cell growth there, how can we explain memory loss?

It is also interesting to note that such a potent cannabinoid (HU210) is actually antidepressant-like at high doses, as long as you have some modicum of tolerance it seems.

Last edited:
200px-HU-210_structure.png

Wiki said:
HU-210 is a synthetic cannabinoid that was first synthesized in 1988 by a group led by Professor Raphael Mechoulam at the Hebrew University. HU-210 is 100 to 800 times more potent than natural THC from cannabis and has an extended duration of action. HU-210 is the (–)-1,1-dimethylheptyl analog of 11-hydroxy- Δ8- tetrahydrocannabinol; in some references it is called 1,1-dimethylheptyl- 11-hydroxytetrahydrocannabinol. The abbreviation "HU" stands for Hebrew University.

Very similar to THC's active metabolite 11-OH-THC.

It is commonly believed thatthe hippocampus is a critical part of memory formation - if cannabinoids are promoting cell growth there, how can we explain memory loss?

I was going to explain it to you, but I forgot what I had to say.

that's interesting, especially the anxiolytic effects. I think it's funny that at one point the 'spice' brand of 'synthetic cannabis' contained hu-210, can't remember where i read it but it was tested at a lab. Well i'll be the first to sign up for a study for chronic hu-210 use as an antidepressant and anxiolytic.

I wonder if the Spice that I used had hu-210. It did last a long time - around 5-6 hours.
Are there other cannabinoids with effects that last so long?
It would be a real kick if I found out that it had been good for me!

pretty sure cp 55,940 lasts about 6 hours. I had the pure compound several years ago and it was great stuff, gave me severe munchies and a massive sex drive. It was also a much better high than the jwh series. I think the ealier spice blends had hu-210 in them. There was a DEA microgram article on it but it's gone now, miss that site.