• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Cannabis use and recovery

manofadude

Bluelighter
Completely off the current topic of discussion but a question just came to mind. I haven't really quit smoking fully since I cd my kpins and xans and everything in between. When I smoke and obviously some of my mental 'symptoms'(i hate that word) come back whilst I'm high. Am I lengthing my recovery? Or temporarily making it worst while high?

<I am creating you your own thread on this topic because it is off topic from cj's recovery journal and has potentially useful information regarding cannabis and other substance use in early recovery. Thx, -tpd>

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you be more specific about what symptoms you're speaking of? Cannabis can induce anxiety, even paranoia, which can cause a whole host of uncomfortable, sometimes problematic conditions (racing heart beat, etc) for some people. Because you have recently stopped using benzos and other substances (you meant CT'd your pins and bars, not "cd" them, correct? ;)), you will be particularly sensitive to this kind of thing.

I wouldn't say you are lengthening your recover in any serious way, but you clearly are causing yourself harm enough to be concerned. I'm curious to hear more about what you are experience when you use cannabis. What form are you using and how do you normally use it? What kinds of problems have you been experiencing and how severe have they been?

One should always try and perform the whole cost/benefit analysis when it comes to deciding whether or not using a substance is a worthwhile endeavor before hand, ideally with others who know what they're dealing with.

Could you be more specific about what symptoms you're speaking of? Cannabis can induce anxiety, even paranoia, which can cause a whole host of uncomfortable, sometimes problematic conditions (racing heart beat, etc) for some people. Because you have recently stopped using benzos and other substances (you meant CT'd your pins and bars, not "cd" them, correct? ;)), you will be particularly sensitive to this kind of thing.

I wouldn't say you are lengthening your recover in any serious way, but you clearly are causing yourself harm enough to be concerned. I'm curious to hear more about what you are experience when you use cannabis. What form are you using and how do you normally use it? What kinds of problems have you been experiencing and how severe have they been?

One should always try and perform the whole cost/benefit analysis when it comes to deciding whether or not using a substance is a worthwhile endeavor before hand, ideally with others who know what they're dealing with.
Well the symptoms I get after smoking a blunt/taking a dab are stronger derealization which has haunted me for the last 4 months. It doesn't really make me more anxious than I ever am. And as well as making me think waaaay to much if you can relate. Honestly, I know it's to late now but definitely wish I could've avoided a portion of this idk I'd say pyschosis by doing a long taper. Never said it but I was using and abusing for 2-3 years before I stopped. And I might as well say this I've used some drugs that make me actually feel normal for a decent 2 days

It just makes me mad because I've always really enjoyed cannabis but maybe it's because I used it with benzos that's making me not enjoy it now, idk:,(

What have you used that have helped make you feel more normal for a few days? Just curious, as maybe it is a avenue worth exploring (if not in actuality at least in discussion).

I'd say you already know what to do with the cannabis use. And that is take a good bit of a break from it. If you must use it, keep to smoking very small amounts at a time. Like a bat or one hitter, or taking just a tiny hit of a normal type of bowl (or teeny tiny joints, etc).

Very likely could be you enjoyed the cannabis up until now so much because of the concurrent benzo use. I have seen and talked with more than a few people in the same boat.

It just makes me mad because I've always really enjoyed cannabis but maybe it's because I used it with benzos that's making me not enjoy it now, idk:,(

Not to stray from cj's thread... it's just so weird to see... I posted something nearly identical to this on my own recovery journal thread right before I read this!

What have you used that have helped make you feel more normal for a few days? Just curious, as maybe it is a avenue worth exploring (if not in actuality at least in discussion). I

I'd say you already know what to do with the cannabis use. And that is take a good bit of a break from it. If you must use it, keep to smoking very small amounts at a time. Like a bat or one hitter, or taking just a tiny hit of a normal type of bowl (or teeny tiny joints, etc).

Very likely could be you enjoyed the cannabis up until now so much because of the concurrent benzo use. I have seen and talked with more than a few people in the same boat.
It was actually meth that made me feel a lot better

It was actually meth that made me feel a lot better

Probably not something you want to be getting into, but I have heard from many people, and it is my own experience, that a little meth in can provide a useful energy and mood lift during the earliest stages of recovery. It's continued use is very problematic for obvious reasons though.

Do you have any thoughts on your future methamp use? Remember, no judgement here!

Probably not something you want to be getting into, but I have heard from many people, and it is my own experience, that a little meth in can provide a useful energy and mood lift during the earliest stages of recovery. It's continued use is very problematic for obvious reasons though.

Do you have any thoughts on your future methamp use? Remember, no judgement here!

I haven't thought about it to much but if I want to feel better for a day or two I'll be hittin my buddy up. But honestly i don't think I'd be using it for fun because I really don't notice being high or enjoy it as much anymore. The only high I notice which is weird is from weed. And coke but I quit that awhile ago cause I noticed continuous upper user while going through the phases of quitting benzos probably isn't the best idea. Coke just made me tense up and a lot less talkative.

That is pretty much more thoughts on meth when I was quitting heroin. Making it a normal thing is a good idea, but you already know this and I think your plans are not inappropriate.

I highly recommend staying away from coke though. It is generally so morish that the side effects and impulsivity and compulsivity generally surrounding cocaine use it highly problematic in recovery - more than many other drugs for most people.

That is pretty much more thoughts on meth when I was quitting heroin. Making it a normal thing is a good idea, but you already know this and I think your plans are not inappropriate.

I highly recommend staying away from coke though. It is generally so morish that the side effects and impulsivity and compulsivity generally surrounding cocaine use it highly problematic in recovery - more than many other drugs for most people.
Wait so you think it would be a good idea to continue use of this to help me feel better or not. Because I won't lie I can't see myself coping with it through my whole recovery period cause then at the end I'd have a meth addiction ?

I am saying exactly that it isn't a good idea for you too get comfortable only relying on any substance, particularly methamp, to aid you in your journey. I am saying the priority ideally is you finding ways to regulate your mood with other people and healthier activities, such as things you enjoy doing related to your passions and interests in life outside mere substance use.

I wouldn't be too concerned about using speed once or twice now and then, but if it develops into anything approaching a reliable pattern I would begin to be concerned about where the substance use is leading. The more you use it, the more problematic and harmful it is likely to become - especially if you've ever struggled with it before (which is sound like you haven't with methamp, but have with - and still are to a degree - other substances).

Not to stray from cj's thread... it's just so weird to see... I posted something nearly identical to this on my own recovery journal thread right before I read this!
I have only tried smoking in my sobriety from opiates. I am not near as impressed as I thought I would be after over 3 months off. I thought it would lift my depression and help cure my boredom but it hasn't.

I am saying exactly that it isn't a good idea for you too get comfortable only relying on any substance, particularly methamp, to aid you in your journey. I am saying the priority ideally is you finding ways to regulate your mood with other people and healthier activities, such as things you enjoy doing related to your passions and interests in life outside mere substance use

I wouldn't be too concerned about using speed once or twice now and then, but if it develops into anything approaching a reliable pattern I would begin to be concerned about where the substance use is leading. The more you use it, the more problematic and harmful it is likely to become - especially if you've ever struggled with it before (which is sound like you haven't with methamp, but have with - and still are to a degree - other substances).
Ok thanks for further explanation I was pretty confused as you could see haha.

I have only tried smoking in my sobriety from opiates. I am not near as impressed as I thought I would be after over 3 months off. I thought it would lift my depression and help cure my boredom but it hasn't.
I completely feel you. I've had problems with opiates but luckily never got to to bad. It was at its worst when I was living in jersey. But I am dealing with the same problem from benzo recovery. I think it's best do steer clear from any substances until you are really feeling better mentally and then dip your toes back in the water and see what it does

I agree. I never should have smoked again. I thought it would really fix a lot but it didn't. I'm going to be quitting again. I feel so depressed all the time I guess due to PAWS from everything. I used to love weed and it's not doing nothing now. Could it be the Vivitrol shot I'm on to block opiates? Could it have an effect somehow? I hope you have heard of the Vivtrol shot.

I'm going to be honest I haven't heard of it. But I'm sure somebody reading this forum does. But I mean bro I undoubfully think I'm going through paws and I use to enjoy weed more than anything and now I have to tell my best friends I'm good on it when I chill with them because I know if I smoke I won't have as good as a time with them if I didn't.

I agree. I never should have smoked again. I thought it would really fix a lot but it didn't. I'm going to be quitting again. I feel so depressed all the time I guess due to PAWS from everything. I used to love weed and it's not doing nothing now. Could it be the Vivitrol shot I'm on to block opiates? Could it have an effect somehow? I hope you have heard of the Vivtrol shot.

It could be, but I don't think I've heard of any similar situations where naltrexone exacerbates problem with cannabis. I honestly have no idea. Regardless, you have changed - your body chemistry is still influx from when you might have enjoyed cannabis before, as you have since removed other problematic substances from the equation I mean - so that substance you used to enjoy affect you differently no in recovery is not really very surprising. Best of luck!

I'm on oral naltrexone (the pill form of the medication in vivitrol). Though it's true that the last few weeks have seen me feeling disappointed with weed, for nearly three months prior to that, I happily smoked with a system full of naltrexone. Like TPD, I've never heard of any evidence suggesting that naltrexone impinges on the effects of cannabis.

I have heard anecdotal evidence of naltrexone interfering with patients' natural endorphins, possibly exacerbating opiate-related PAWS. However, I've never heard this from a particularly reputable source. And my own anecdotes (i.e. my experience and the experience of people I know who are also on naltrexone) is quite to the contrary. Personally, I remain highly skeptical of the theory that naltrexone exacerbates PAWS.

My sense is that for a lot of us, there's something about recovery that can detract from the experience of using cannabis. I'd be really curious to learn more about this!

Decided to give the weed a break last night. It was a bit odd going through my usual process of winding down after the day without some pot to ease things along. But basically it was fine. And I was able to read in bed a lot longer before falling asleep, so that was kinda nice :).

I did take an extra trazadone, however, since my insomnia has been lousy for several weeks.

Nevertheless, it was a fine evening. I don't think I'll abstain every day. But I'll put days off in the mix for a while.

I'm glad to hear the naltrexone/vivitrol doesn't really effect weed. I guess I'm getting to a point where I no longer enjoy it at this point in my life. I need to grow up and get out of my parents house. I'm 27, I have to get it together. I want to look for a different job, but now I can't pass a drug test just from weed. I feel bad like I messed up. :(