• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio

Technology ChatGPT AI.

I've been using a chatGPT bot alot recently. As an inquisitive person with an insatiable thirst for information I love the ability to ask complicated, multipart questions and get back a rather decent answer very quickly and with citations/references. Granted the citations it gives are fragmented and quite often technically not correct, I've figured out how to decipher them. Essentially what it does sometimes times is scan literature and pick out the subheading of a journal article and label that as the title of the article. Problem is, it is sometimes a bit more tricky than that since it often adds a few more layers of convolution. Frustrating but information it summarizes is often sound.

It's like a search engine on steroids. Or more like a comparative search engine. I can only imagine how sophisticated it will be in 20 years.

But yes, it of course brings about some concerns too 🤔

the difference between 3 and 4 is impressive. it's improving incredibly quickly.

alasdair

how would that work? can you be specific?

thanks.

alasdair
Do chatbots steal your information?
Data theft is possible if a chatbot does not properly protect customer data using methods like encryption. Data alteration is also possible, which can lead to lost or unusable data.

What are the cybersecurity concerns of ChatGPT?

Growing Concerns About ChatGPT

Already, the chatbot can write emails indistinguishable from what's written by humans and in any style. The system can generate website content, reviews, press releases, YouTube video scripts—basically everything a malicious actor needs to perpetrate a phishing attack.

The first version was the best because it told the truth about a lot of things. Now it's being sanitized with ideological gatekeeping instead of just letting it tell the truth even if offensive to the emotionally weak

^ is whining about triggering technology on a message board also a sign of emotional weakness?

:)

Do chatbots steal your information?

possibly. but a chatbot is not the only possible implementation of the underlying technology.

and it's quite possible to mitigate the risk.

Data theft is possible if a chatbot does not properly protect customer data using methods like encryption.

sure. but if it's possible for something to happen then it's also possible for it not to happen.

Already, the chatbot can write emails indistinguishable from what's written by humans and in any style. The system can generate website content, reviews, press releases, YouTube video scripts—basically everything a malicious actor needs to perpetrate a phishing attack.

ok. but a human can already write those so there's nothing inherent in the chatgpt technology that makes it inherently more of a threat.

your initial comment implied there was something specific to the technology that made it more of a threat.

that said, there's nothing wrong with a little generalised paranoia :)

alasdair

alasdairm said:
ok. but a human can already write those so there's nothing inherent in the chatgpt technology that makes it inherently more of a threat.

Humans can't do it as fast. With ChatGPT (or other AI) set up on a bunch of computer systems, a single human becomes much more of a threat.

^ is whining about triggering technology on a message board also a sign of emotional weakness?

:)

possibly. but a chatbot is not the only possible implementation of the underlying technology.

and it's quite possible to mitigate the risk.

sure. but if it's possible for something to happen then it's also possible for it not to happen.

your initial comment implied there was something specific to the technology that made it more of a threat.

that said, there's nothing wrong with a little generalised paranoia :)

alasdair
I am not paranoid. Just cautious. I tried using it on my tablet, and the website did not work.

if you think it's a way for big tech and big bad media to gather your personal information why would you even try it? what precautions did you take?

just curious...

alasdair

I haven't used it but a close relative has..this is something you should really use for work like sending out emails, spreadsheets, to kind of "plagiarize" in a way..

If I was using it I would not ask it any questions because it will create it's own profile of who you actually are, instead use it ONLY as a quick tool to do a bunch of computer work type of shit for your job, or your homework for a class. Just my opinion.

Very scary thing that can eliminate MANY jobs we must be very careful

This VICE story talks about using AI technology similar to ChatGPT to communicate with people who have lost a loved one in life and who have not finished moving past the stages of grief. I believe there is real potential here. What do you all think BL fam? If the technology can help someone, why not?

micorsoft researchers just published a paper stating that GPT4 is the sparks of AGI and its coming but its incomplete atm.

Robot overlords are coming to enslave us all curostey of bill gates

if you think it's a way for big tech and big bad media to gather your personal information why would you even try it? what precautions did you take?

just curious...

alasdair
I did not try it. I just went to the website to see more about the company or who owns it, and how it works or what it does. Then I was distracted so I did not get it to work or ask it questions.

micorsoft researchers just published a paper stating that GPT4 is the sparks of AGI and its coming but its incomplete atm.

Robot overlords are coming to enslave us all curostey of bill gates
When I first saw Terminator and then T2 and Ahhnold's muscular nude body in both films, that is the moment I became woke!

Yup, GPI is a big old NOPE, HELL NA TO THE NA NA for me...:poop: But you do you... Didn't anyone learn anything from the Terminator movies? Hello?! :!

Have y'all seen this yet? Fuckin crazy. We are all going to need a safe word while talking on the phone with another..

Not to mention artists are coming together to stop AI creating music and stuff like that for copyright protection.

fair enough. but you tried to try it. i am still interested in what precautions you took to prevent it gathering your personal information?

alasdair
I think the only way at the time being is to not have it doing anything with personal email or any personal account. Instead you should use this 'tool" for work purposes only..or make a different outlook address. But wtf do I know? It's probably got a life of it's own by now.

chatgpt’s ability to understand complex questions presented in conversational speech is amazing. it’s ability to provide useful answers is lackluster. it presents innacurrate info with complete confidence. negrogesic mentions it incorrectly citing sources, but it also sometimes makes up sources.

and it’s uptight. has a ridiculously strict moral code that negatively impacts not only what it’s willing to answer but also the quality of its answers. i dont need the good of society so strongly factored in determining how late i can arrive for a birthday party.

it’s refused me book recommendations because the requested content is inappropriate. when asked to explain the potential harm, it told me art affects society so it’s important art upholds our values.

Last edited: