View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Combo Subthread] Mushrooms & 5-HTP

SpruceMeister

Bluelighter
I was wondering... has anyone tried pre-loading on 5-HTP for mushrooms? Does that prevent tolerance from building up?

As I sit here, tears streaming down my face at work, I thank the decaying high school system for providing me with such entertainment.
Firstly, the only thing that will stop you from building a tolerance to mushrooms is if you don't do them too often.
And 5-htp helps to replenish serotonin, which is depleted by ecstasy.
Get yourself over to erowid or the shroomery and do some research.

As I sit here, tears streaming down my face at work, I thank the decaying high school system for providing me with such entertainment.
Firstly, the only thing that will stop you from building a tolerance to mushrooms is if you don't do them too often.
And 5-htp helps to replenish serotonin, which is depleted by ecstasy.
Get yourself over to erowid or the shroomery and do some research.

Mushroom and LSD tolerance is not completely understood. It is; however, short-lasting. One can trip just as hard in three or four days as if they had never tripped before.
Psychological adjustments; however, are different. Eventually, if overdone, mushrooms will lose their magic. This is because the mind relishes novel experiences, when you take away the novelty of it, when you make it a way of life, that relish is lost. There is no quick-fix or supplement to save you from that.
5-htp, as the precursor to serotonin, would not have a great effect on your trip. The Psilocybin in the mushrooms is a serotonin agonist, which means it effects not the serotonin itself, but the receptor that takes that serotonin in. Its effects on MDMA are different BECAUSE MDMA actually causes the receptors to pump out serotonin, so more serotonin for them to pump means a harder roll.
Pure

I wouldn't be to fast with saying it wouldn't affect the trip... When combining shrooms and mdma there is a strong synergy, not only does one feel the mdma and the shrooms, but especially the shrooms seem to work much stronger then they would without mdma. If this has anything to do with the higher amount of serotonine in the brain, taking 5-htp before shrooming could somehow affect the trip.

Why not try it and see if it does anything?
I'm sure it won't do shit for tolerance, but it might do something. Personally i kind of doubt it though.
[ 14 January 2002: Message edited by: Bone ]

I was thinking that a plausible reason for tolerance to mushrooms (and others in that category) is that serotonin gets depleted. Thus, 5-HTP might be an effective countermeasure.
I did indeed check out Erowid and Shroomery. But, I didn't get any clues as to whether or not that would do anything. So, I decided to ask here, in case someone had tried it already.

again, because tryptamines play on the receptors and have nothing to do with the serotonin itself, serotonin is not depleted nor involved in tryptamine tolerance.
Tryptamine tolerance is most likely caused by the brain's self regulating mechanisms which reduce the number of receptors for a chemical when the brain has been flooded with it.
Pure

Sorry if I came off a smartarse. I admit I read your question slightly differently than how it was intended to be posed.....

5-htp and shrooms?

..any thoughts on what effect this might have? would it cause more of a euphoric trip or just get in the way of it?

im thinking of taking 100mg 5-htp next time i trip to get rid of the anxiety i got from my last trip, because last time i took shrooms it was VERY visual and nice, but emotionally i was caught in odd mind loops. i know this usually happens, but it would be nice to have the edge taken off the trip if i could.

would it be similar to mixing mdma and shrooms? (which im considering also...)

im not sure if it will cause any adverse effects (i dont really see why it would) but it most defintely wont feel like like mixing mushrooms and mdma.

If you want to take thee edge of the trip i suggest either lowering the dose a bit or perhaps preparing for the trip.
Make sure yo are healthy, mentally stable, in a good setting surrounded by things/people you like etc.

Mushrooms tend to play with emotions, its part of the trip. In my opinion its the best part. You have to learn to accept it as part of the process of discovering yourself. Its really quite a beautiful thing.

Oh and mixing mdma and mushrooms has always provided me with a fun night (althugh i prefer mushrooms on their own these days)

Good luck in future trips.

peace.

Predosing with 5-htp intensified a 10mg 2C-E trip into the 15-18mg range,though it was smoother nevertheless.

If 100mg of 5-HTP normally has no side effects on you, then I don't think it would this time. Personally I predict it having no effect on the trip... but that's just my opinion, I don't really know.

Take some MAOI's, it tends to potentiate DMT related tryptamines, but don't take it with any other drugs. It can be a VERY dangerous combination.

Shrooms and 5-HTP?

I'm planning to shroom in the near future, and even though I feel like I'll have a good time, I was thinking of getting ahold of some 5-HTP and taking some. Anyone have any comments, suggestions, anything on the topic?

Appreciate it. :D

it may alter the trip slightly due to extra serotonin being available, but this is debatable. Plus, man, they're mushrooms. You don't need any enhancement... they're already one of the most powerful psychedelics on the planet. You'll have a good time, or you'll freak out, but I wouldn't worry about it not being strong enough.

Still, it would be interesting to see what happens, because 5HTP isn't exactly completely understood.
Then again, seeing as comparing mushroom trips is impossible, it won't be that interesting :\

Isn't 5-HTP somewhat an anti-depressant? Could it possibly help you put yourself into a better mood, pre and post-trip?

yeah seeing as i usually get a little mood lift after taking 5htp i would definately consider predosing just to help with the come up