Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [Combo Subthread] Mushrooms & Benzo's

Druidus

Bluelighter
Mushrooms When you've already dosed benzos

I'm planning on obtaining a quantity of mushrooms tonight (it sprung up).

The problem is, I've already had some 5-7mg of alprazolam and 4mg of clonazepam.

They both have been taken sometime ago, with the clonazepam being the most recent, maybe within 3 hours, and the alpraz use started when I got up and ended around 5-6 hours ago. I have a fairly high tolerance to benzodiazepines.

My worry is that the benzodiazepines in my bloodstream will lessen or altogether halt the mushroom trip. How long untill it should be safe to dose?

I don't feel all benzed up and I've even had about three beer. However, I know that the drug will stay in the bloodstream longer than the noticeable effects.

Advice?

[Shrooms are really rare round here.]

^You'll be completely safe to dose; there are no negative interactions between mushrooms and benzo's; except for a reduction in intensity or "velocity" of the trip. Clonazepam has a long half life, so it will still be active in your blood and brain, regardless of your outlook. That said, none of this will detract that heavily froma mushroom trip in a few hours....ie. you will still trip like a madman. You will possibly remember less....

Anyway, as the question is answered, I'm gonna close this as it has been answered many times before. Please search next time. Any queries about this thread, please PM me :) Have fun, take care <3

I'm just curious to see if anyone has experienced any negative interactions, or any interactions at all, between psilocybin and benzodiazepines.

Specifically, clonazepam. However any experience is welcomed.

lets say you were tripping at things started going "wrong" in your head and it turned into a BAD trip! You started freaking out and you were taken to the hospital. The ER would dose you up real good with some benzodiazepines. Does that answer your question? Benzos will kill or the very least turn down your fry. Shulgin used to use em if a dose of DOC or something kept going and going and he wanted to be done frying or attempt to go to sleep.

i believe diazepam (since that is like the benzo standard, like how morphine is the opiate standard) or could be any benzo the doc sees fit, since all benzos will have the same effect on psychedelics. They will kill or damper your fry.

When I went to hospital they gave diazepam (just 5.0mg :|)

Mushrooms and benzodiazepines are a good combination recreationally. I like diazepam, clonazepam, lorazepam or alprazolam with mushrooms (or LSD for that matter).

I'd say it depends on your doses. Although benzos are tradtionally used to kill a trip or get to sleep (as is alcohol), if you've taken a hefty dose in the first place, as long as you keep the benzo dose low and dose during/before the peak rather than the comedown, you're likely to have a more calm recreational experience rather than a deep spiritual one. Getting the balance right would be difficult though.

I've never had any problems.

This is my own personal experience, but benzos in small doses always provide me with a fool-proof good trip, maybe not as profound. This is 6 years experiencing talking.

Mainly valium in small doses, but might I add, simply having these things in your possession before taking them is just as likely to produce a positive experience as you have a life preserver in reserve. YMMV

Thanks for your helpful responses everyone, I will probably test the efficacy of this combination myself.

Mushrooms taken with Benzo for anxiety?

So i hear that taking mushrooms can be quite healing and whatnot especially for people like me who struggle with depression and what not. Just gives you a whole new positive outlook on life. This is what my friends say. All this may be true....... IF you have a good trip. I am an individual with a pretty sensitive brain chemistry, so i am worried that if i even a small does of mushies and things went south it would in the end (after i come down from the panic of the bad trip) it would just make everything worse. IF. theres always that big IF. i mean, i am already a huge lightweight as it is on pot. i get like 4x higher than everyone else and get very vivid Closed Eye Visuals when baked enough. So hoping things were to go right with them shrooms i think i'd have a crazy trip. but if things were to go wrong would it be smart to swallow a dose of Adivan(benzo) to nullify any possible panic or would that mix badly and damage me in some way?

Any suggestions to any of the above feel free and thank you.

A benzo may dull down the effects and might make the trip not even worthwhile, so don't take the benzo with the shrooms.

Start with a small dose in a very comfortable setting. And don't smoke any pot. Knowing you have benzos if you needed them would probably be a plus. Take note of who your going to be around, I think a lot of people new to tripping don't take this into account and wonder why things can get awkward or panicky. It's also easy for me to smoke weed nonstop while tripping and that usually turns me into a mess.

IMO smoking weed with friends is more prone to cause me social anxiety than eating mushrooms with friends. (Ate 1.7 grams with 500mics 25i-NBOMe just yesterday and it was great :) )

Good luck!

Last edited:
well, in my opinion, taking a benzo (small dose of course) before ingesting the shrooms is not likely to do any harm (YMMV of course), but i also think that there will be less of a chance to get a meaningful experience out of it. you should not be afraid of psychdelics but treat them with respect somehow (doesn't imply that you cannot have fun with it though :D ).
i'd suggest, you don't take benzos with it and prepare a little bit for your trip (exercise a bit, don't smoke weed, get into the right mindset, read trip reports,...) and when you're ready, take them in a calm setting where you won't be disturbed, and preferably have a trip sitter (that being said, i didn't have one on my first trip, but better be safe ^^).
it's not bad to have benzos on hand if things get very bad, but i think you should only take them if you really cannot handle it longer. feeling only uncomfortable and weird is far from having a bad trip, so rather sit it out than numb yourself. theres always the possibility that the trip changes to the better.

have fun :)

in my experienced with psychs and benzos, i recommend taking1-2mg of xanax, adivan, or some valuim just to calm yourself and chill. then take a small dosage and see oh that goes, and keep taking more as you feel necessary. if you start feeling on end or uncomfortable just take a few more mg of a benzon and just try you best to think posative(easier sed then done i know) and just do your best to enjoy your trip. just remember its only a drugs and your in control not it

I believe benzos are what hospitals give to people suffering from a bad trip to calm them down. So, I think it's pretty safe to assume that there is no contraindication. :) The one time I took a benzo with a psychedelic was when I took 1mg ativan during an LSA trip (morning glory seeds). I didn't NEED it. But, I was smoking pot and got all paranoid that I was suffering from extreme vasoconstriction and was going to die haha The fear passed with the pot high, and I enjoyed the LSA from there. See, I also get much much much higher on pot than those around me. I'm prone to panicking too. But, in my one time doing mushrooms (about a gram or more I'm guessing), there was no overwhelming anxiety. I say that you should not take the benzo. But, have it on hand just to ease your mind. It simply being within your grasp will probably keep you from needing to take it. I felt no need to take ativan with LSD, mushrooms, my other LSA trips, or the random DOx posing as LSD I took. The psychedelic experience is nothing like the pot experiences you and I have. Well, maybe the CEVs ever so slightly. But, they are simply not the same. My point is that just because you have strong pot trips doesn't mean you won't be able to handle the low dose of mushrooms you plan to take :)

in my experience, taking a benzo before a mushroom trip makes for an very dull trip.

In my experience, taking benzos does not dull the effects of a trip at all.

I usually take benzos with my psychedelics and the overall journey appears to have been as powerful and profound as anybody elses.

I suggest you try it without, and see for yourself, keeping some on hand in case you need them. Or just take some anyway before hand if you wish. It's entirely up to you; it's all your personal experience, after all.

In my experience, taking benzos does not dull the effects of a trip at all.

I usually take benzos with my psychedelics and the overall journey appears to have been as powerful and profound as anybody elses.

I can actually imagine benzodiazepines enhancing the depth of a psychedelic trip, simply by allowing one to feel more comfortable pushing the dosage higher. You might take that extra tab / hit / 5 mg, if you knew that the potential anxiety of the trip would be muted somewhat by the security blanket of benzodiazepines.