• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Controversial new Colorado law promises to fight fentanyl with new felonies and more

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member
Controversial new Colorado law promises to fight fentanyl with new felonies and more
Alexander Burness
Greeley Tribune
25 May 2022

Excerpts:
The controversial legislation to combat fentanyl, which killed more than 900 people in Colorado last year, officially became state law Wednesday.

Flanked by sponsoring lawmakers from both parties, law enforcement leaders and family members of people killed by fentanyl, Democratic Gov. Jared Polis signed HB22-1326 on the Capitol steps in Denver.

“Making Colorado one of the 10 safest states over the next five years is one of our top priorities,” Polis said. “Frankly, across our state, people are simply fed up with the pain that this new and dangerous drug is inflicting in our communities.”

The bill promises a wide range of changes. For one, it directs $29 million toward harm-reduction tools including testing strips and lifesaving opioid antagonists such as Narcan and naloxone, plus $7 million more meant for law enforcement to better investigate fentanyl cases. It expands drug addiction treatment in jails, and requires that law enforcement funnel certain people suffering drug addiction into jail-based treatment programs. It also requires the state’s Department of Public Health and Environment to launch a public education program meant to inform people about the dangers of fentanyl.

But in a piece of legislation that runs 73 pages long, it was the particular subject of criminality that produced major controversy as the bill was being debated. The bill proposes harsher criminal penalties for people who sell fentanyl, and was indeed driven in large part by a desire from Polis and many other leading politicians to crack down on those who distribute fentanyl. Polis has called them “death dealers.”
Colorado law prior to Wednesday stated that it is a misdemeanor offense to possess under four grams of a wide range of drugs, including fentanyl or fentanyl compound — that is, a mixture that contains some percentage of fentanyl. The new state law makes it a felony to possess at least one gram of fentanyl or fentanyl compound. This was the most hotly debated aspect of the bill, as a parade of harm-reduction experts and advocates urged lawmakers in committee hearings and on social media to resist further criminalization of simple drug possession.

Full article here.

It’s odd to see states moving towards decriminalization and harm reduction (Oregon), a mix of further criminalization and harm reduction (Colorado), and then just sticking to hardline criminalization (southern states I believe).

I suppose that everyone will see how poorly further criminalization “works” after a few years. But it hasn’t seemed to get through to them in the decades that they’ve been trying it, so I don’t know.

I’m just waiting for the day a national drug policy reform happens here in the US (I will probably be in the grave when it finally passes)

Federalism has its benefits but it also has the unfortunate consequences of allowing such disparate attitudes to drug law to happen throughout the country

I think a unified front would be much better

I think a unified front would be much better
Most drug users are like peoples' opinions on abortion; disparate and divergent, unique. I think all drugs should be legal. Some people think only certain drugs should be legal, like weed, or only 'natural' stuff, etc. Some think not even alcohol or tobacco or caffeine should be legal. We won't see any unified fronts on drug reform, I can tell you that much for certain.

Most drug users are like peoples' opinions on abortion; disparate and divergent, unique. I think all drugs should be legal. Some people think only certain drugs should be legal, like weed, or only 'natural' stuff, etc. Some think not even alcohol or tobacco or caffeine should be legal. We won't see any unified fronts on drug reform, I can tell you that much for certain.
That’s a good point

I guess it’s more of a pipe dream I have

Not a goddamn thing in there about addressing chronic pain that is untreated due to opioid prohibition making all chronic pain patients go onto fentanyl or commit suicide. Fuck America.

Last edited: