Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

(Victoria) current roadside tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

awrt

Bluelighter
I am not sure if this is allowed/against rules so please feel free to remove if not.

just wondering what the current drugs are tested for in Victoria during roadside tests.

i know:
meth, thc and mdma are tested for

but wondering if cocaine has been added..I know there was talk of it.

I won't be driving under the influence of anything this Nye but am concerned about coke being in my system for a few days.

thanks so much, happy ny

No, not yet at least. From TAC:
What drugs are detected in roadside drug tests?
  • THC (Delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol), the active component in cannabis
  • Methamphetamine, which is found in drugs such as ’speed’, ’base’, ‘ice’, and ‘crystal meth’
  • MDMA, which is known as ecstasy.
Ofc if you crash and they draw bloods that's a diff matter, but the roadside is just the above.

Also from TAC:
What about drugs that aren’t detected by the roadside test?
If Victoria Police believe that you are driving while impaired they may ask you to complete a Standard Impairment Test. You may then be asked undertake a blood test which will detect any substances that you have used. There is a separate charge for driving while impaired and it also carries severe penalties.

So how do these work? Are they regular checkpoints you run into where you get swabbed or something? Sounds highly invasive and frankly not something any nation should put up with.

They tried at times to do that shit in the US, we responded by protesting and in some cases folks would post up down the road with signs warning people. They don’t try them anymore.

-GC

They park at the side of the road and flag you down ..then test you.Here in NSW even if you driving along minding your own business they can pull you over and test you....if you not driving good ...maybe even if they dont like the look of your head lol.Just depends on the coppers

So how do these work? Are they regular checkpoints you run into where you get swabbed or something? Sounds highly invasive and frankly not something any nation should put up with.

They tried at times to do that shit in the US, we responded by protesting and in some cases folks would post up down the road with signs warning people. They don’t try them anymore.

-GC
In Vic (and elsewhere) they set up booze buses, which are basically what they sound like, a bus where they do booze and drug tests. They block the carriageway and RBT people (not everyone is tested, to avoid queues, but everyone passes the cops through the same lane) driving through selectively. If you fail the roadside (count to ten to detect alcohol and sometimes a drug wipe which takes a few mins to indicate), they stick you on the evidential machine, which is pass or fail. If you pass alcohol, you're ok, if you pass drugs then they'll send the sample away for lab analysis and you could still be summoned to court at a later date (but you can drive off and keep your licence at that time).

If you fail either roadside, immediate 24h licence suspension (for drugs) or ticket for drink driving and suspension for x duration (depending on low/med/high range). 0.05-0.08 used to just be a fine in Victoria, but since 2018(?) it's a minimum 3(? I think) month loss of licence.

Just the rules here, you agree to them by holding a licence I guess. In the UK they can't breathalyse you unless they suspect you're under the influence, but they can stop vehicles for any reason. Here they can test you for impairment for any reason. Also in the UK, even if you fail massively, you can only get your licence disqualified by a court, so you can drive away from the cop shop as soon as they release you - they advise you not to for a fair while, and people have been breatho'd leaving the station and subsequently charged a second time (as they're once again DUI), but you can still legally drive until a court bans you, whereas in Aus the cops can suspend your licence roadside.

Going off topic now, but it's the same with speeding - do 150km/h on a freeway here, and you're looking at a suspension (although if it's only 25-30km/h over it usually commences in 28 days, but they can immediately suspend for "excessive speeding" which is something like >45km/h over the limit). Do 200mph in the UK, you'll get a summons to court but can drive away from the scene and continue driving for a while - there's even a chance (not at 200mph, you're probably going to jail at that speed, but say 100mph, or 30mph over the limit (70mph on dual carriageways/Motorways), which is usually a ban) that you'll be fined and receive points for exceptional circumstances, which can include needing to drive to do your job (not commuting) - no such leniency here...

Last edited:
They are bringing this bullshit to NZ soon. I don't know how it's gonna go down because soooo many people use weed and meth here. The police, courts, employers are gonna be in for a hell of a time when huge amounts of the population get caught out. First couple months gonna be bonkers, I wonder if they'll really keep it around or bin it because of social and economic disruption.

For example, I know about a dozen tradies and most smoke weed and a few do meth. They all need to drive for their work. Work that we need done. I really don't see them quitting anytime soon so I don't know how that's all gonna go..

What's most frustrating is its not like weed or even meth are responsible for any significant amount of road deaths or crashes. Alcohol is still the predominant problem and enforcement is half arsed and yet they want to throw stones and meth users under the bus for.. What purpose? How they even get funding and time to persue this when alcohol is still a huge problem on our roads and dwarfs the other drugs is questionable. Feels more like a class attack from the govt than anything.

Last edited:
I am not sure if this is allowed/against rules so please feel free to remove if not.

just wondering what the current drugs are tested for in Victoria during roadside tests.

i know:
meth, thc and mdma are tested for

but wondering if cocaine has been added..I know there was talk of it.

I won't be driving under the influence of anything this Nye but am concerned about coke being in my system for a few days.

thanks so much, happy ny
Asking any type of info about drug testing is against BLUA. Locking thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.