• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Currently on 20mg Valium daily, thinking of switching to Xanax XR

THE_REAL_OBLIVION

Bluelight Crew
Xanax XR 3mg once a day dosing pills seem a lot better to me, considering it's the best anxiolytic benzo to me, but it doesn't last long enough, having it like this in XR formulation seems ideal. Any thoughts on this ? My pdoc is fine with scripting me any benzo I have fancied for now (never played with my luck and asked for triazolam though). Thanks.

The problem with alprazolam xr (or at least one problem) is that it may produce "ups and downs" as its one short-acting chemical being continuously funneled into your brain. Also, you will experience withdrawal upon switching, though not in the anxiety spectrum. Why do you want to switch?

i jus currently got prescribed 2mg xanax xr prior to being on 2mg of ativan a day n before switchin to ativan was on 2mg kpins a day. imo i really like the xr xanax, i take it when i wake up n it lasts through out the day. i dont get the up n downs as hochiminh said but im sure its different for everybody. there completely anti abuse so no snorting since they have a gel texture, so i like to parachute em as it kicks in about 20min rather than taking it orally when that takes around 45 mins to a hour to kick in n wether i take it orally or parachute the duration is still the same.

I am used to the regular xanax IR, I don't like the extended release formulation, although I think it's great that there are finally generics for it. It's supposedly the same time-release / anti-abuse mechanism as OxyContin, so there is no un-XR-ing it, not that you'd necessarily even want to, but I've seen plenty of members asking about how to make their xanax XR into xanax IR.... makes me wonder why they pay all the extra money to be on slow-release alprazolam in the first place when the dozens of IR generics are dirt cheap and easily as effective as the brand name if not subjectively IMO more effective.

I'm currently taking diazepam and I much prefer it to alprazolam. In fact, I'm taking it to get off the alprazolam. Alprazolam is tons more effective as an anxiety/PTSD medication, it's ridiculously potent and works GREAT when you need it to, so long as you aren't a daily doser. If you get to the point of being a daily doser, you end up taking it more just to maintain and avoid WD and it can become counterproductive to treating your psychiatric condition for which it was prescribed to begin with. However this doesn't happen to everyone, or even most/many people, but it is a phenomenon to be aware of. I like diazepam because I don't wake up immediately thinking about medication, unlike how I was waking up while on short-acting-only benzodiazepines.

Now that I'm adamantly trying to distance myself from alprazolam, I would recommend that if you have ever suffered alprazolam withdrawal, and then you, like I, should know better, than to try to make alprazolam work. Even the extended-release version. It's not that I can't control my use, but with diazepam, there is no doubt I feel more stable, and feel like it's a helluva lot easier and more forgiving to taper with diazepam.... I can't see how anyone would ever taper with xanax XR. If one's taking Xanax XR, they probably aren't tapering.... And my long-term goal is NOT one that accommodates being benzodiazepine dependent. You might have different goals, but I know that for me, benzodiazepines are best taken as needed, and when I'm taking them daily in a dependent state, I have found they can be counterproductive and just add an unnecessary source of worry and anxiety.

With diazepam being in my system + my sleep medication, I'm sleeping much better than I have been in times past, when levels of benzodiazepines in the blood rapidly rise and fall, causing mood interruptions due to my being on multiple extremely short acting benzodiazepines. I'm looking forward to tapering off the diazepam completely.

Maybe because it's so subtle, but I don't feel tempted to keep taking benzos for anxiety long-term. After completely abstaining from benzodiazepines for over a year, it took a long time for me to feel comfortable taking benzos again, strictly as needed though..... Then occasionally... Then regularly enough to start having it bother me.... Then to the point of dependency.....

I'm stopping the cycle before I, or anyone else, gets hurt. I know so much better than to think I can take anxiety medication daily and have it not be counter-productive. When I was taking them strictly as needed and not as a daily/dependency thing, they help me a ton, I just really don't like the idea of being dependent on any chemicals. It's bad enough being opioid dependent. Hopefully, within the next couple months, I'll be benzo-free, if not sooner.

Valium is much better. I would never want to go back to xanax xr which I took for a year and a half. Also it doesn't last all day more like 8 hours IMO

I'm with Tricomb, switching to alprazolam XR doesn't make much sense IMO.. I'm not sure how much alprazolam, is released throughout the course of a day (or 12 hours), but I would rather just take a lower dose of alprazolam IR multiple times a day, or just stick with the diazepam. Valium is similar to Xanax in that it kicks in really fast as well, but it has a much longer half life. Alprazolam is a fickload more potent, why don't you just ask to take a much larger dose of diazepam once a day (or twice a day-I think 20mg is equal to 2mg of alprazolam, so 30mg would be similar to 3mg of Alprazolam XR).

I don't know, I guess I feel strongly about sticking with the diazepam as I wish I could switch to that benzo (from clonazepam) so badly, and even though alprazolam has wonderful anxiolytic properties, the tolerance builds up so fast.. At least with the longer acting benzo's I notice that though tolerance definitely does begin to build, there is always some anxiolytic activity that I experience.

By my calculations, 2mg of alprazolam IR = 40mg diazepam IR. And oh man, 40mg of diazepam is SO MUCH BETTER, even though it's subtle, not a K/O like alprazolam.

However, despite its long half-life, it still needs to be dosed at least twice a day for best results. I dose my diazepam upon awakening, then another 10mg before lunch, and I often can take or leave (more often leave/skip) my 3rd evening dose.

Diazepam is a lot more subtle, but for those who are looking to maintain or get off the drugs, not be zombied/barred/GABAergic ass-fucked up all the time.

I love my diazepam... Its the perfect benzo... I wish I was at 40 x 2 a day not 20 x 2 a Day... I end up doing it sometimes... I need the extra relief...

tricomb as some good advice, but everyone has different body chemistry...

for me, xanax removes anxiety LESS effectively than klonopin or valium. the crash from xanax sucks too. alprazolam is overrated; works decent as an axiolytic, but has poor muscle relaxation, hypnotic, anticonvulsant effects. me personally, i would chose ativan over xanax.

the benzos (USA) best all-around benzos for sleep, anxiety, ect from best to worst... (NOTE: this is only my opinion, you need to find out for yourself what works best for YOU. some people find xanax works the best for anxiety while others think klonopin is beter. some people get paradoxical reactions from clonazepam and freak out and some find valium better. point is, try all the benzos before chosing which would be best for YOU):
1. diazepam
2. clonazepam
3. lorazepam

edit: 10mg valium feeliks .75-1mg xanax to me

Last edited:
I'm on diazepam and am only on 15mg a day.
I find if i take them when needed(to prevent stressfull situations and not only to take at the breaking point) the subtilty is helping me from loving the tablets too much.
If i take a high dose just to black out situations and "get through the day", they won't work again at the very next dose when I actually do need to take them.
I literally need to wait a day or so without taking any to get back to even half the effect they had when I took them for the very reason to overcome those situations and eventually not need to take benzos anymore.

tricomb as some good advice, but everyone has different body chemistry...

for me, xanax removes anxiety LESS effectively than klonopin or valium. the crash from xanax sucks too. alprazolam is overrated; works decent as an axiolytic, but has poor muscle relaxation, hypnotic, anticonvulsant effects. me personally, i would chose ativan over xanax.

the benzos (USA) best all-around benzos for sleep, anxiety, ect from best to worst... (NOTE: this is only my opinion, you need to find out for yourself what works best for YOU. some people find xanax works the best for anxiety while others think klonopin is beter. some people get paradoxical reactions from clonazepam and freak out and some find valium better. point is, try all the benzos before chosing which would be best for YOU):
1. diazepam
2. clonazepam
3. lorazepam

edit: 10mg valium feeliks .75-1mg xanax to me
Diazepam is king I take both that and alprazolam .1 for sleep 1 for panic disorder