News CVS and Walgreens agree to pay $10bn to settle opioids lawsuits

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

CVS and Walgreens agree to pay $10bn to settle opioids lawsuits

BBC
2 Nov 2022

Excerpts:
The proposed deals with CVS and Walgreens mark the latest chapter of a long legal saga, in which firms have faced claims they helped drive the abuse of addictive painkillers.

Settlements with drugmakers and distributors have already brought in more than $30bn.

The pharmacies have denied wrongdoing.
CVS said it would pay about $5bn over 10 years to settle the claims, while Walgreens Boots Alliance has agreed to pay $5.7bn over 15 years.

Walmart has also reached a $3.1bn deal, Reuters reported. Walmart declined to comment.

...but where exactly is that money going to? Probably not to the people who were effected :(
probably not, unfortunately

these lawsuits just aren't well thought out in general.

1) it implicates the dispensing pharmacist in things and makes them fear for their livelihood for simply doing their job.

2) they are completely reactionary and it seems little forethought was put into what would actually be done once the money was acquired

I can’t see how these businesses promoted the opiate crisis.

And how much of this will end up positively helping people affected by the crisis?

Lawyers are making fat cash.. all my shit at Wallgreens is going to cost more.

The money should go to
the people who were/ are effected.

Next up.. the Drs.. I have no sympathy for the greed machine in the states. You got it more than coming.

Edit: I know there has been legislation, due to the huge medical lobbyists (bribery) to shield these geniuses, but it would be a tragedy if the major root walked Scott free here.

Press one for billing.

Last edited:
Well, that 100% means I can never visit the US again. I'm prescribed a lot of oxycontin (well, Lontec) for severe pain (got blown up) but I don't think US pharmacists even know what a UK script looks like!

Fixed headline: CVS and Walgreens are used as scapegoat by DEA that created and worsens fentanyl epidemic for profit.