• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Distillation help

Usually cloudiness is the result of either lipids or gums. Do you know if the crude was properly winterized?

If necessary you could dissolve 1 part crude to 9 parts etoh and drop temp to -30c at this temp all the fats and lipids can be filtered out, the etoh stripped and the winterized crude distilled.
Sick man I didn't know that. I got some wash in the freezer right now I think I'm gonna try that after I run it through the rotovap and turn it into crude.

Another possibility is that you have a vacuum leak and your mantle temp is set too hot for whatever is currently boiling. Instead of phase changing to a vapor your basically decomposing the product. This is called ghosting and you will see white smoke/vapor in the system.

Yeah if you're switching to the main collection flask to early Terps can also cause some cloudiness. This is where a vapor temp monitor is very useful, it can tell you pretty much without a doubt when your in the cannabinoid range which is usually around 185-195c depending on vacuum which is ideally under 100 microns. I never set the mantle above 220 personally.

You could also consider doing media washes with t-41, neutral alumina, activated carbon, or silica 60. these will really pull alot of pigments out but you also need to be aware of potential isomerization. I would avoid using them in the boiling flask or drying agents in the recieving flask.
I don't see smoke in the system but lots of excited little puffs of vapor throughout, I'll consider that a possibility and look into isomerization as well. Thanks. Also yeah thanks for confirming that setting the mantle to 220 may be a little high.

So in trying to recover a high boiling point material from a formula/mixture/product, is it as simple as looking up the boiling point of your target molecule; and then setting the mantle to that temp & letting it do its thing? If I'm correct in this part of it, what is the preferred device you would want to be sure reaches the boiling point of your target chemical- the mantle or the top of the distilation head/condenser?
We used auto calibrated evaporators, with different lengths of cooling condensors. In some cases we could use inserts to vary the height of the thermometer. I think it’s pretty simple but yes provided no cleanup us neccessary. Oh, the intersection of the distillation/heat/ and the side condenser. If I did a manual distillation I wouls use this to control the heating mantle setting rather than just using the numbers on the heating mantle. I always went for as low a heat setting as possible.

Burp ups are not fun.

Tom