View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[DMT Extraction Subthread] Marsofold Tek

Godzilla

Bluelighter
Break 1-Pound of Mimosa Hostilis rootbark into 2" pieces and grind it all up in a glass-topped blender, a little at a time.
Polar Extraction
Premix in an empty 1-Gallon plastic jug: 1-Pint White Vinegar & 3-1/2 Quarts Water. Put the ground up Mimosa in a 3-Liter crockpot, then fill it with the water-vinegar solution.
Stir well and turn it on "high". After 2 hours, remove the crockpot ceramic liner, hold the lid on slightly offset, and pour off most of the liquid into a 1-gallon wide-mouthed glass or stainless container.
Add the remaining water-vinegar solution to the crockpot again. Stir well and turn it on "high". After 2 hours, remove the crockpot ceramic liner, hold the lid on slightly offset, and pour off all of the liquid into the same container again. Discard the rootbark fiber and save the two combined extractions in the 1-gallon container.
Allow the vegetable particles in the extraction in the 1-gallon container to settle to the bottom overnight. Then pour off the liquid into an empty 1-Gallon GLASS wine jug, being careful not to pour off any of the vegetable sludge at the bottom. Discard the sludge and keep the contents of the wine jug.
Basification
Premix in advance a solution of: 4 Tablespoons (50grams) of Sodium Hydroxide ("Red Devil" lye) with 1-Pint of HOT Water. Stir well. Slowly add this solution to the wine jug, then cap the jug. Gently tilt the wine jug back and forth for 1 full minute to mix the contents.
Nonpolar Extraction
Add 300ml of (Ace Hardware)VM&P Naptha to the wine jug, then cap the jug. Gently tilt the wine jug back and forth for 3 full minutes to mix the contents. Allow the jug to sit undisturbed on a table for 3 hours.
There should now be two layers visible in the jug, a lower dark one and a smaller clear one on top. Use a glass turkey baster to suck up the top layer into a pint mason jar. Be careful not to suck up any of the lower brown/black layer into the mason jar.
Freeze-precipitation/wash
place the sealed mason jar in a FREEZER for 3 days to precipitate the crystals. Prepare a filter setup by placing a funnel into a quart mason jar and putting a small coffee filter paper into the funnel.
Shake the naptha in the mason jar strongly to stir up all the crystals at the bottom and quickly pour while still very cold into the funnel for filtering.
Impure yellow-white DMT crystals will be seen on the coffee filter paper. Allow the crystals to completely dry out on the filter paper in the funnel.
Ammonia Washing is a dated procedure and it is strongly advised that this step be omitted
Chill a bottle of NON-SOAPY clear Ammonium Hydroxide(Ace Hardware Janitorial Strength Ammonia) in a refrigerator. Slowly pour 35ml of the cold ammonia over the crystals (still in the filter paper) to wash them.
Remove the filter paper from the funnel, spread it out flat and allow the crystals to COMPLETELY dry out. You will now have 2-1/2 grams of white crystal DMT. Mix it with some parsley and smoke a little in your favorite pipe!
UPDATE! Added june 8 (2006?)
Here are some tips for improving the yield:
Grind the rootbark up to no more than 1mm particle diameter. Less than this will result in decreased yields.
Use three water-vinegar extractions rather than two. Divide up the water-vinegar mix so that you roughly use 50% for the first extraction, 25% for the second, and 25% for the third extraction. After the last extraction press out the fiber to squeeze the last bit of liquid from it.
Basify to a ph of 13. If you don't have ph papers, basify till it turns black, then add an additional 25% of whatever amount of basification solution you used. This is to guarantee that you're at a ph of 13. The brown foam you see floating on top of the basified extract after tilting the jug should flatten out to a thickness of no more than 1/2" after 45 minutes or so if you've used enough lye. Add a bit more lye and re-tilt if it's thicker than that.
Naptha: the freeze-precipitation technique is a double-edged sword. Very convenient and high quality, but highly dependent upon knowing the approximate amount of DMT expected to be precipitated.
If you use too much naptha, then only a little bit precipitates out. If you use too little, then it doesn't extract it all out of solution. It is the simplest case of recrystalization. The best way using it if you aren't very sure of the yield is to use a slight excess to extract, then evaporate it down to 10% of the original volume. THEN freeze it.
This will pretty much guarantee excellent results. For example: For a pound of rootbark use 500 milliliters of naptha to extract. Then evaporate it down to 50 milliliters. Then freeze it and filter out the crystals.
By the way, you must very quickly filter it within a minute or two after removal from the freezer so it doesn't have any time to warm up. And your freezer can't be marginally cold. If it doesn't freeze ice cream HARD,then it isn't cold enough. -20C is about where it should be.

Is this the best/easiest method to use. I have done my research and think that this method will yield the best results and I just wanted Blue Lighters opinions on it. Would you change anything??? Thanks.

Other variations skip the cooking the MHRB in distilled water and vinegar.

Also I have noticed that some people just allow the Naptha to evaporate and leave the crystal residuals behind.

This just seems amazingly simple

Break 400 to 500 grams of Mimosa hostilis root bark, whether inner, outer or whole root into small enough pieces all of it will fit into a large ceramic or stainless steel mixing bowl with enough room left over to only fill the bowl half way to the top. Next, completely dissolve 200 grams of NaOH/sodium hydroxide into 2000-3000 ml of tap water and add to the root bark.

Wait an hour for the lye/sodium hydroxide to soften up the root bark and then using a stainless steel potato masher stir and mash the base adjusted water into the pieces of root bark for 20-30 minutes and then pour in 250+ ml of naphtha into the bowl and mix for another 20-30 minutes. After you are done mixing the root bark let it sit for a few minutes so that any emulsion which might have stirred up into the solvent to settle out and then just pour the majority of the solvent off of the top of the basified aqueous mix into a large flat glass baking pan and evaporate with a fan blowing air across the top of the fluid to net 600-1000 mg of alkaloid in just a few hours.

I have read about the dangers of lye and these chemicals and will be using lab gloves, goggles, and protective clothing while I do any of the above

This really isn't permitted here. You need to pick up some PH papers and stop measuring in teaspoons=/ Any water varies in acidity there for it varies in how much base you'll need to get the correct PH range. DCM will work way better than naptha as DMT is more soluble in it. Naptha works good for recrystallization though. You should never use tap water for anything like this, distilled.

IMO you dont need that much nn-dmt (4 - 500grams of mimosa, thats alot)

1. Add 200ml of tap water into a emptied washed out vinegar jar

2. Add 5g of caustic soda (oviously using googles, gloves etc, lye really does hurt!!!!)

3. Add 20g of mimosa powdered bark, give it shake and store in dry cool, dark place

4. Wait 24 hours

5. Add 50ml of a non-polar solvent (i use naphtha) to your solution of water, lye, bark

6. Give it hot water bath for 1/2 hour

7. Do the ''DMT Shuffle'' aka Shake mildly for 2-4 mins (careful not to generate emulsions, looks lke froth on top of your solution)

8. Give it another hot water bath & Wait for 2-3 hours

9. Syphon of the top layer of solvent with your dmt in it and store in a glass container

(repeat steps 5-9 2 more times)

10. pour solvent into glass dish and Add to -20c (4 star) freezer for 12-20hours

11. Once freeze precip is done remove and cover the top up and store in dry cool, dark place

12. After 30 hours its usually dried up and you can scrape the xtals from the dish

I dont know what yeild marsofold gets but from this tek but you get about 1.5g from 100g of mimosa when you have perfected this technique

IMO i wish more people would do this simple yet effective stb :(

DCM will work way better than naptha as DMT is more soluble in it. Naptha works good for recrystallization though. You should never use tap water for anything like this, distilled.

DCM is a great solvent, which means it'll probably extract a lot of other crap you don't want along with the DMT. I think naphtha is definitely the best solvent for this, though it should probably be heated during the extraction to get high enough solubility that you don't have to use huge amounts, like vibrancy3 wrote.

I don't see any problem with using tap water for this, it's just water and some dissolved salts. And then you add a ton of NaOH to it...

vibrancy3

If want to use 200 grams of bark would I just increase the amount of everything by 10.? Thanks

Was your original amount of 20 Grams correct. It seems like an a very small amount of MHRB

What is the consensus on the ammonia wash???

Unnecessary, you'll end up losing mad amounts of product. Just freeze precipitate, suction off the solvent, and allow the recovered product to dry under a fan. No need to wash with chilled NH3.

vibrancy3

If want to use 200 grams of bark would I just increase the amount of everything by 10.? Thanks

im not sure that 50g of lye would be enough for 200g of bark.
I always thought it was a 1:1 ratio.

It's really hard to use too much lye. When in doubt, add more (but slowly i should mention for harm reduction sake. Adding lye to water gives off a lot of heat energy).

hey roger thanks, you have helped me a lot along the way and i appreciate all of your help. I think im just gonna go with the old marsofold tek

the marsofold tek does seem like a little bit more time consuming but if it yields the highest quality and best results it does not seem to difficult. is there anything wrong with this method. the experiment will begin shortly. ;)

Plus im gonna increase (slowly) the amount of lye to 75 Grams.

Is there any advantage to "cooking" the bark in the Vinegar first. Will all of the DMT be extracted in the vinegar.

^IMO no. Straight-to-base is the way to go with MHRB if you ask me. As others have said, this sounds like a lot of bark and water, and not much lye. I would use 100g of MHRB and the same of lye in about half a litre of water. Just add the NaOH slowly to the water, then the bark, then do two pulls with pentane or heptane and two with xylene. I personally prefer the product from evaporation to that from freeze precip. but it's all personal preference.

And yes, it is amazingly simple. The elves have smiled upon us ;)

Was your original amount of 20 Grams correct. It seems like an a very small amount of MHRB

Yes it was, i dont see the point in using a huge amount of MHRB ? what if something goes wrong, lke emulsions for example, and plus using a small amount of mhrb means you put more dedication into that quantity......

From 20g of mhrb (when it was available to us brits) i got a yeild of 0.33g once

If you divide say 200g of mhrb into little parts (i.e 10g or 20g) it may take a fucking long time but the yeild is much better

I did link you to that tek in full godzilla but i have recently changed it to acacia confusa tek (was made 4 europeans mainly lol)

If u still want full tek i can mail it to ya box.............

peace

(ooh and also this tek dont really need a wash, the xtals preety much turn out white after freeze precip)