View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals [DMT Extraction Subthread] Phalaris Grass

TheGreenPhantom

Bluelighter
I've tried Jim DeKorne's extraction proceedure found in Psychedellic Shamanism twice, and found the small ammount of brown powder I was left with both times to be inert, both orally and by smoking. Having followed the steps exactly, I figured the batch of I had just didn't have enough alkaloids to have any effect.
Then the other day, I got my copy in the mail of The Entheogen Review... the first article is an interview with this guy Appleseed who's saying he's getting "a consistant experience at 75 mg of extracted alkaloids" from the "Turkey Red" strain of p. arundinacea. He vaguely hints at his extraction process, which left me wondering...
Is DeKorne's extraction method flawed?
Or did I just get a bum batch of grass?
If any of you guys have or have not had success with DeKorne's extraction proceedure, please respond... and if you can, offer an alternative method.

Last edited by a moderator:
The procedure described by DeKorne does in fact work, but unfortunately phalaris, containing less than 0.1% alkaloids by weight on average, is a rather shitty source. Not to mention it is a bitch to work with since it is so light in density that in order to get a usable amount of alkaloids you have to use a god awful amount of that stuff. I would have to recommend using some m. hostilis root bark as it has a much higher alkaloid concentration, around 0.5%, and is easier to work with since you can just pop chunks into a coffee grinder and get some nice chunky powder out.
As a side note, what were you using to acidify and basify your solution? And what organic solvent were you using?

To acidify the solution I used vinegar; to basify, clear amonia. The solvent I used (and it's probably not the best) was naptha.

Actually naptha works reasonably well, and in some areas is easier for people to come by than DCM. Also the vinegar should work fine, but I personally like to use HCl acid as I can mix up solutions to the strengths I want. But the alkaloids are soluble in either just fine. As for basification, it may be little extreme and can be a little tricky to do unless you got a good scale and some pH paper/meter, I use a stock NaOH solution I mix up from lye crystals. It really cuts down on the amount of basic solution you have to use to bump the pH above neutral.

Phalaris DMT extract

Has anyone tried the extract of DMT from Phalaris? Not pure DMT. Is it pretty potent? I'm asking because I did an extract, but there's no way of telling how much DMT is really in it.

I assume you speak of the DMT extraction from "Psychedellic Shamanism by DeKorne or "QT's DMT Extraction for Students."
I tried the process using phalaris, and the resulting brown powder was not psychoactive in the least. I might have botched the proceedure -- I don't know. But seeing that phalaris doesn't have too high an alkaloid content, I wouldn't worry about being knocked on my ass. "QT's" extraction reccommends 25mgs for starters. I hope you have a scale!

Soviet Contin,
DMT is already a Schedule I drug so chill out.
_ _ _
[ 27 July 2002: Message edited by: Curious_George ]

Splatt: Well, I snorted the powder, and smoked it as well. I also injested it in combination with syrian rue/lemon "tea." No effects but a slight, slight head buzz.

I have a crude extract.
Was told to smoke 50 - 75 mg ..
I smoked about 150-200 and nothing happened.

I just finished the crude extract myself, but haven't tried it yet. It's a thick molasses-like substance. I have no idea what the % of DMT is in it.

dmt/phalaris/ayahuasca

while talking with a friend's dad he said there is a field of phalaris grass nearby, i was wondering could i use this to make a quick ayahuasca mixture, or do i have to do the dmt extraction method?
i really wanna brew/cook some up this weekend and it seems that dmt(i'm refering to a smokible extract) takes weeks when ayahuasca(ref to a brew or mixture) can take a few hours.

mimosa+harmala tastes really nasty. its a nice ride, but ew. you should be patient and do the extraction, then you could eat your extract with your reversable maoi and get essentially the same effects as with 'huasca, or you could smoke it like normal.

No smoking for me. Too much on the lungs. The more I experiment with these tools the more I realize oral is almost *ALWAYS* the way to go -- no damage to skin, lungs, or nasal passages.
Except of course our lovely Lady Cannabis... :)
[ 24 October 2002: Message edited by: yahazim ]