• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Does age diminish your high?

losthippy

Bluelighter
I'm curious about whether old fart bluelighters still feel the magic when they choof up. By that I mean smoking a spliff or bong and not some of the other derivatives I'm not savvy with. I'm in my mid sixties and been a steady recreational smoker for nearly 50 years. From $30 (per ounce!) bags of dubious vegetative matter in the '70's to $400 bags of high-end bud and plenty in-between. I've very rarely not had some close at hand. But I have noticed over the last few years that the duration of effect is diminishing and I generally feel a short-lived kind of wasted rather than buoyant and high. I have imprint moments of highs that were clearly next level, but these days that's rare. Any other older folk having similar issues?

Nope, no loss of magic here. Yes, I have a bit of a tolerance but the magic, the sparkle is still there. At the moment, vape pens, joints and water soluble oral THC. I've had shatter, wax and other derivatives but....just like the old days if I get some oil (distillate) I smear it on the inside of a rolling paper to jet supercharged joints.

Also, I don't know if you live in a legal jurisdiction or not, but most legal, labelled product has the tHC content by wt listed. That might help you, maybe not.

Exactly how much I get out of weed depends on how much I smoke, how often and what kind of t-break I've had.

To really get a surprise and recapture the old days, give water soluble THC a shot if you can find it. It's packaged like tinctures and it's usually some form of nano emulsion. The best one has tocosperolan as an emulsifier.

Tom

Nope. Been smokin and about every other intake of many a substance for 4 decades.
Only thing I found that diminishes efficacy is tolerance... and this can be overcome by breaks or lower dosing for a while.

For the most part, it's gotten better. Most everything that weed enhances gets better with age.

I have better food because I know what I want and how to get it. I have better sex because I know what I want and how to get it. When I was young these things didn't come easy or I simply didn't understand them well enough.

Unlike other drugs I've become dependent on, I don't find relapses on marijuana to have a collective and exponential effect on the severity of the problem as harder drugs tend to do.

It is what it is and so are we.

very likeable after the fact and less poison than booze. I only take it as water soluble extract, licked up or in a glass of tea or coffee.

mixed with some lysergic everything is more sparkling.

Age is not a barrier to that.
will be 70 in 3 months +2 days.

Well, at 41.5, I can honestly say absolutely not at all in my experience if anything I'm able to continue to access even deeper and more significant also new experiences at all levels, as time goes on.

My imagination is much more widely developed and secure nowadays to and I've also developed mentally so as to be able to travel in different ways and experience trips in a wider variety of ways as well with more depth for exploring my own imagination and deeper thought processes as well.

could be the way youre smoking it. try a hot glass tube or something... or try oil (wax).

I'm 51 and it has diminished so much now i rarely catch a buzz. if it didn't still help with pain and keep my head strait i probably would have quit years ago. more of a medication for me now it has no recreational value now. wax, edibles it's all the same. i get the break through high every now and then lasts about 10 seconds.

Iv'e been smoking on and off ( mostly on ) for 40 years and I can still get high off of 3 good hits of a joint. Sometimes 2 depending on the weed. So age has nothing to do with it. I almost think that the older I got the higher I got but that could just be my perception.

Part of the downer is definitely dealing with the illegality here in Oz. Some readers might remember what that was like in their own country/State before enlightenment. LE aren't likely to kick your door down here for hitting the herb unless someone's snitched on you or your plant(s) have been seen over the back fence, but the world beyond your property is a full of traps set to punish users, beginning with driving.

Not sure how your LE deals with drivers who may have Cannabis in their system, but they take no prisoners here. Random roadside breathalyzer testing is routinely buddied with some form of saliva test hunting out Cannabis and Amphetamines effected drivers. While most of us have learned to be sensible with drink-driving, the zero tolerance for Cannabis sets no low bar or measure of sobriety. And, given our geography, taxis or public transport are sometimes not an option so getting behind the wheel is often what we have to do. Negotiating this routine necessity is a constant source of stress and tends to dull whatever good times you aimed on having.

As for different ways to consume Cannabis are concerned, waxes, oils, and other kinds of extracts are really thin on the ground here. Again, we don't have dispensaries and can't import these products. Dabbling in them locally is understandably very low-key. I've always preferred bong hits as I can pack one, burn it and re-stow it almost without breaking step. The effects are fast and elevating to a point, but besides a background buzz 10 minutes in there's not much 'highness' going on. Skinning up a spliff takes too long and the slow come-up is not really my thing. Ironically, I scored some high-assay Polish vodka (Everclear also hard to get here) and used the Golden Dragon tincture recipe on an ounce of bud that didn't live up to its hype. I'm slowly evaporating the alcohol off atm, but snuck a 5ml+ syringe of solution into a morning coffee and must say that the result was promising. On an empty stomach the effect was noticeable in 10-15 mins and ticked over in the background for an hour+ before I bolstered it with a cone. Then I thought about driving into town for some stuff I needed and paranoia about the risk stopped me in my tracks. I still have to work and must drive to do so, so the niggling thought of life as I know it being destroyed by some poxie rule is a real drag. And a shitload of fellow Aussie's are in the same boat.

Last edited:
At 35 I can say I am not a functional cannabis user so it killed the high

As we age, our bodies produce more monoamine oxidase over time, so in fact, yes, drugs become less effective and more rapidly removed from the brain the older we get. (Source)

^^ This might help explain what I thought was just ridiculous tolerance through decades of constant use. Partly, at least. Cheers

The only time I have magical highs now haven't with cannabis alone since sometime late freshman year of high school is on psychedelics

I'm curious about whether old fart bluelighters still feel the magic when they choof up. By that I mean smoking a spliff or bong and not some of the other derivatives I'm not savvy with. I'm in my mid sixties and been a steady recreational smoker for nearly 50 years. From $30 (per ounce!) bags of dubious vegetative matter in the '70's to $400 bags of high-end bud and plenty in-between. I've very rarely not had some close at hand. But I have noticed over the last few years that the duration of effect is diminishing and I generally feel a short-lived kind of wasted rather than buoyant and high. I have imprint moments of highs that were clearly next level, but these days that's rare. Any other older folk having similar issues?
Nope , the weed has steadily improved since I was a kid ( I believe it’s 3x as potent) and the variety ( I switch variety every 1/8oz) and affects each one has is a night and day improvement on keeping me feel stoned….

Age has diminished my youth. :)

Been smoking for 45 years. It still works great for me. 2-3 pulls of flower from a glass pipe. I don't tend to smoke much. I do that maybe twice a day and sometimes at 3:00AM to get back to sleep. But it is still effective as ever. Even with that usage I go through an ounce every 7-8 weeks so I guess it is not that light. But I have known people to smoke a whole quarter in a night. (wasteful!)

I remember when that book From Chocolate to Morphine came out. Andrew Weil stated even a 24 hour break lowers tolerance a lot and that seems true for me. I usually smoke my first time just after dinner but have broken down in the middle of my workday to have a smoke. But one days break and it hits that much harder.

Never thought I would live to see legalization. It will happen worldwide too.

The only time I have magical highs now haven't with cannabis alone since sometime late freshman year of high school is on psychedelics
Not to advocate a drug with such a sketchy reputation, but I often have very profound, treasured experiences on PCP and its many various dissociative homologues and analogues and such. Dissos can be otherworldly beautiful.