• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health does exercise really help moderate to severe depression?

anyone out there who got better from severe depression by exercising regularly ?
I did. With the caveat that I was also frightened because I was addicted to opioids. So I had extra motivation to hit the reset button. I know just what a catch-22 exercise for major depression is. I've been depressed a lot lately at the state of things I don't know how anybody can be happy who's alive right now unless they're in the middle of nowhere. Anyone with any connection to so-called civilization who's not depressed lacks a heart.

It's okay to be depressed. The trick is not to become demoralized.

Depends on yourself. I don't think walking is hard though. So you should do it if it'll help you stay healthy or get healthy. I'm just saying. But at times waking was not possible because it triggered me for meth. Weird eh? But I'm over it. Now I really enjoy the walk once in awhile. I use my sister's dog to help pull me a little sometimes for both of us. I also have depression and it's not bad anymore. I walk like once a week. Maybe twice. But I'm also a waiter so I walk a lot anyways. It's so friendly to walk and see the people I live around. Dunno

Vitamin D. Water has a morphic resonance, hence you feel better after crying or sweating psychological and emotional toxins. Sweat lodge was a ritual throughout North and South American native cultures and has parallels in many other archaic cultures

Cycling benefited me the most, especially compared to walking. I notice when coming off opioids (such as I am now) that an intense cycle gives me an unmistakable rush of pleasure and if I keep that up for even an hour or two a day I'll notice a huge difference in a matter of days. When I was very depressed before it was too difficult to walk - my head would be down looking at the ground and I'd feel as though I'd be dragging my heels but with cycling, I'd just glide along all over the city. I'm fortunate in that I live close to both the largest enclosed park in Europe, Dublin City Centre and the coast so I have plenty of options in terms of places to cycle to. Pack a lunch, pop my backpack on and I can be in the Park one minute, cycling through the city centre a few minutes later and out by the beach 15-20mins later.

The worst thing you could do if you're feeling depressed is to remain stagnant. There will be days where you simply won't have the willpower to exercise, but you should try. Had I not bought that bike last year I'd have fallen into a depressive episode for certain, purely by virtue of overthinking my situation in life and how stuck I'd been feeling (and still am to an extent though not nearly as much). Exercise is vital for getting yourself out of your own head. I know that when I'm flying around on the bike I dont have the opportunity to overthink. Its a meditation in itself. When I stop on a park bench or pull up for a sit-down along the Liffey I can take the oppertunity to think then, but its not the perpetual hamster-wheel of negative thoughts that would consume me were I sitting at home in my room alone. Its a sharper form of thinking - a clarity exists there, as though I've cycled that energy out of me - energy that could have turned into negative thinking but instead I've channelled it into physical activity which in clearing my mind and making space for more productive thoughts completes the mind/body connection.

Last edited:
Vitamin D. Water has a morphic resonance, hence you feel better after crying or sweating psychological and emotional toxins. Sweat lodge was a ritual throughout North and South American native cultures and has parallels in many other archaic cultures

Morphic resonance? How do you mean exactly?
Also, are you talking about vitamin D instilled water or a Vitamin D supplement?

Sorry, I'm genuinely interested but when I looked up the meaning of 'Morphic Resonance' I wasnt expecting to find what I did...

In my case it has been quite helpful, most notably when trying to get off of drugs, namely opioids. Less helpful in benzo withdrawal (then again essentially nothing improves benzo withdrawal much other than time itself). Not so sure, at least from personal experience, to what degree it improves depression. By increasing testosterone it might increase anxiety in certain ways, or reactiveness, but this is largely offset by improved sleep and the confidence that comes with the results of exercise (ie strength and the appearance of physical fitness).

I find it addictive however, and have some injuries because of overdoing it.

yeah water is impotant in my life along with sweat and tears.
i get the term i think
is water the vehicle whereby our bodies sway with the earths ebbs and flows?
just thinkin about this for a sec....
something to sleep on

damn quoted the right words but wrong poster. shit
mobile mobile on the wall
haha

Morphic resonance

:chef:
yall have a good night now, chirrens. see yall tomorrow

In my case it has been quite helpful, most notably when trying to get off of drugs, namely opioids. Less helpful in benzo withdrawal (then again essentially nothing improves benzo withdrawal much other than time itself). Not so sure, at least from personal experience, to what degree it improves depression. By increasing testosterone it might increase anxiety in certain ways, or reactiveness, but this is largely offset by improved sleep and the confidence that comes with the results of exercise (ie strength and the appearance of physical fitness).

I find it addictive however, and have some injuries because of overdoing it.
I have a lot of injuries for the same reason, that’s why imstarted using drugs again, I realipzed that sobriety was literally causing me bodily harm.

I’m taking a couple months off now, thanks to hard drugs HOORAY 😁

Unlimited pharma heroin, Valium, and desoxyn forever for everyone = world peace??? 🤔

"When you exercise, your body releases chemicals called endorphins. These endorphins interact with the receptors in your brain that reduce your perception of pain. Endorphins also trigger a positive feeling in the body, similar to that of morphine." - webMD

Reactions: CFC
depend in depression type not severity, if you can't enjoy exercise you will not get antidepressant effect if you do it, if you can enjoy exercise then it will help for sure.
exercise will induce release of endorphin (opiates not serotonin like SSRIs) so the antidepressant effect will be different.
I.e better

"When you exercise, your body releases chemicals called endorphins. These endorphins interact with the receptors in your brain that reduce your perception of pain. Endorphins also trigger a positive feeling in the body, similar to that of morphine." - webMD
Kind of like having your own Dope Dealer living inside you