• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Meth Does L-Tyrosine potentiate methamphetamine when taken together?

ninjapirateroberts

Bluelighter
I've been thinking about taking supplements pre-, and post-methamphetamine that would be neuroprotective and muscle tension relaxants and substances that reduce stimulant-induced toxicity even at moderate doses (I've been taking ~23mg crystal meth daily except weekends for ADHD, but never above 25mg; ROA is oral).

I've received a few supplements today by mail, so here's my plan:
  1. Before meth dose (10 - 30 minutes): Magnesium Glycinate (MG) 200mg, Acetyl-L Carnitine (ALC) 500mg, L-Theanine 200mg (more about L-Theanine below).
  2. After meth dose: MG 200mg, ALC 500mg, Vitamin C 2g, Omega-3 2 capsules, Melatonin 10mg (30 minutes before sleep)
MG as a muscle relaxant, and ACL as neuroprotective agent. I have taken L-Theanine 200mg 30 minutes before my usual meth dose, but I feel like it "dumbs down" meth. Maybe I will try it again later (or take it in the evenings).

I've heard people taking L-Tyrosine 500mg along with their ADHD stimulant meds; some say it potentiates their stimulant meds, and others say it gives a better calm/alert feel and nicer effects with their stimulant meds.

From what I've read, L-Tyrosine is an amino acid precursor for dopamine and norepinephrine. And it should be taken on an empty stomach (otherwise, it binds with proteins and would become useless). From my understanding, since it's a precursor, my body would generate more dopamine and norepinephrine (thus potentiate) when I'm on my meth dose. But I also think it would help my brain with enough sources for dopamine such that the meth wouldn't "suck it all out"; but isn't L-Tyrosine also helpful as a neuroprotective agent after my meth dose such that it will help replenish dopamine post-meth? (but I've read taking L-Tyrosine later in the day makes people more alert, so it interrupts their sleep) Which way is it safer and nourishing to take a possible potentiator like L-Tyrosine with stimulants like meth?

Sounds good to me but I don't really have a clue. Let us know how you get on, though.

Yes, it does to a degree but it is finicky.

I was using it to strengthen the effects of dextroamphetamine but eventually found that it disproportionately increased the peripheral effects (like blood pressure, heart rate, physical anxiety) more than the central effects. It also seems to increase side-effects, particularly headaches.

It seemed to work most noticeably/favorably when I first started supplementing l-tyrosine. After a while however I only noticed an increase in side-effects, a general sense of tension and blood pressure.

I was using it to strengthen the effects of dextroamphetamine but eventually found that it disproportionately increased the peripheral effects (like blood pressure, heart rate, physical anxiety) more than the central effects. It also seems to increase side-effects, particularly headaches.

It seemed to work most noticeably/favorably when I first started supplementing l-tyrosine. After a while however I only noticed an increase in side-effects, a general sense of tension and blood pressure.
Also, I can only find convincing studies on the neuroprotective effects of Acetyl-L Carnitine when taking methamphetamine (or other common stimulant ADHD meds).

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25465237/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18077579/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0091305706000591

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pap...alta/d44888c156f8375c9fb7069103e99ea39c0b966a

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pap...unju/637dac1e5aebe95c9dc9ca275e1a777f1a642f1d

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0019258

I would recommend Na-R-ALA (which is the sodium salt of R-lipoic acid) for your purposes.

Not only is it a powerful antioxidant, it seems to strengthen the effects of stimulants in an almost exclusively central nature. The effect isn't subtle either. So it really performs two functions. Surprisingly powerful stuff.

I would recommend Na-R-ALA (which is the sodium salt of R-lipoic acid) for your purposes.

Not only is it a powerful antioxidant, it seems to strengthen the effects of stimulants in an almost exclusively central nature. The effect isn't subtle either. So it really performs two functions. Surprisingly powerful stuff.
What doses do you recommend? The ones available on Amazon are 250mg, 150mg, and 200mg.

I'm planning to get this one: https://www.amazon.ca/AOR-Lipoic-Acid-Natural-Vcaps/dp/B014IDWBOW

Or https://www.amazon.ca/Alpha-Lipoic-Capsules-250mg-Count/dp/B008X8JROG or https://www.amazon.ca/Organika-Alpha-Lipoic-Potency-Capsules/dp/B00J8NIQUG/ which is 250mg (same brand as my other supplements).

And when do you recommend taking it? Prior to my usual meth dose or post-meth dose? I usually take Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Magnesium Glycinate both before (20-30 mins before) and after the meth dose. L-Theanine only before.

What doses do you recommend? The ones available on Amazon are 250mg, 150mg, and 200mg.

I'm planning to get this one: https://www.amazon.ca/AOR-Lipoic-Acid-Natural-Vcaps/dp/B014IDWBOW

Or https://www.amazon.ca/Alpha-Lipoic-Capsules-250mg-Count/dp/B008X8JROG or https://www.amazon.ca/Organika-Alpha-Lipoic-Potency-Capsules/dp/B00J8NIQUG/ which is 250mg (same brand as my other supplements).

And when do you recommend taking it? Prior to my usual meth dose or post-meth dose? I usually take Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Magnesium Glycinate both before (20-30 mins before) and after the meth dose. L-Theanine only before.

Those are all the less bioavailable forms. I recommend Na-R-ALA, which requires lower doses. Here's the stuff I take, but anything that specifies "Na-R-ALA" will work:

100mg a few hours after taking the stimulant works best for me.

It quite noticeably increases the stimulating effects so I wouldn't take it too late. Take with plenty of water because as the name suggests it is acidic.

Regular R-ALA might work too (like the ones you linked) but I always avoided it as they are less bioavailable than sodium R-ALA.

I was prescribed methylphenidate 18mg (I finally saved up enough money for ADHD diagnosis; I was diagnosed with ADHD and autism spectrum disorder) ane been taking the medication for about 7 days now, but I felt like it didn't do anything on my body; my ADD symptoms still persist even with this medication. I tried double doses for two days (took two pills, so 36mg) and it still produced no effect.

Today I took my regular 18mg methylphenidate with 3600mg L-Tyrosine to potentiate methylphenidate. And finally, I'm feeling something. It suppresses most of my ADD symptoms today (but not as good as methamphetamine for ADD symptoms since meth is clearly more potent and superior for my ADD symptoms). But with methamphetamine I don't need any potentiation or "outside help" to help suppress my ADD symptoms. I know methylphenidate is only a catecholamine reuptake inhibitor but amphetamines (dexamphetamine and methamphetamine) are both catecholamine reuptake inhibitors and catecholamine releasing agents.

(1) Does that mean I would react better to amphetamines (which not just inhibit reuptake but also pushes stored dopamine from the pre-synaptic neuron so there is increased systemic circulation)?
(2) Since methylphenidate was only a reuptake inhibitor and since it worked better when I took it with L-Tyrosine, was my brain somehow released those "excess dopamine" that it got from L-Tyrosine (which increased systemic dopamine circulation), which made methylphenidate (finally) work to help with my ADD symptoms?

I'm having a follow-up appointment next month and will be asking for an amphetamine prescription since it clearly worked for me in the past. Taking MPH with L-Tyrosine does increase anxiety, and BP.

Last edited:
Vitamin c protects against methamphetamine induced dopamine neuron cell death.
I wouldn't rely on that. It might have a beneficial effect but if meth neurotozixity could be stopped with vitamin C it would not be a concern at all.

I'm of the belief that tyrosine deficiency will be a problem, but increased dosing will not do anything useful - the limiting factor in dopamine production is not tyrosine levels.

I wouldn't rely on that. It might have a beneficial effect but if meth neurotozixity could be stopped with vitamin C it would not be a concern at all.

I'm of the belief that tyrosine deficiency will be a problem, but increased dosing will not do anything useful - the limiting factor in dopamine production is not tyrosine levels.
Can you say more about limiting factors? (Genetics, diet, etc) and any supplements to help mitigate both neurotoxicity and improve overall body health.

Unfortunately, I hoped on the Meff train about 6 months ago. I have been on every prescribed stimulant for over 15 years. They all final stopped even after 1-2-3 months. They worked at like 20 percent, wear off etc. For years they were perfect, what happend?

Meff absolutely works better but I can still bang 3-4 lines and do work for 3-6hrs and get tired or go to bed. No euphoria but it does improve mood which is generally depressed. I’m on wellbutrin and non-compliment. Been on that for 15 years too.

I have found a few items I belive to be helpful but im newer to this.

- omegas (all these good no matter what or GNMW)
- injectable or oral glutathione
- injectable vitamin D or oral
- injectable vitamin b12, b6 or oral
-injectable or oral coq10
- Magnesium is undoubtedly one of the most important. I get products with neuro mag or high quality magnesium instead of having diarrhea while at a concert. (Friend of mine….?)
-NAC - I heard this kills your ability to feel stimulated but after a bender could be very useful.
- when I don’t feel like eating I make a protein smoothy in the nutrabullet (takes 5 min) and if I’m really not hungry I make it like a peanut butter, chocolate protein milk shake. Normally, add fruits and veggies.
-FYI- google protein powder recipies - you can make bars the size of a mini snickers that have 20g protein, dried fruits, nuts, seed, meff, etc.
- Mira lax in shake to help with bathroom when needed
- exercise (obviously but when is a safe time to do that?
- Tylenol instead of other NSAID? Can’t remember the NEJ of medicine article.
- mementine and the like (I only fucked with that a few times. Can’t figure it out.
-propranolol if you get shit product or overdo it. (Beta blocker)
- benzo same as above but watch tolerance. Im on 3mg kpin (usually take 2 and feel nothing but I’m in pain when I don’t.) I did also get etiz and bromaz once etiz whent away.
- clonadine - there are studies it improves outcomes when administered with stims. To me I just get tired and need more. I just started trying.
- Baclofen - as someone said muscle relaxer
- Antabuse - I’ve been clean from the drink for 4 years. That’s a fuckin toxin.
- subbkxon - I had gone to rehab for alcohol which was really me unknowing addressing paws coming off 3mg Xanax for over 3 years prescribed by a psychiatrist at a super legit health center with 30 something locations, affiliated with some of the best hospitals. He left, new lady comes in dropped me over 8 weeks and gives me busbar. I left, drinking spikes. I’m relapsing until finally a psychiatrist told me my brain need years to heal (I was in MBA school and getting married, having a kid. I was not okay). He put me back on for the last 3 years and I had planned to start stepping down but now getting devorced and need to stay stable. I do know dropping subs won’t be fun but honestly I’m very non compliant when i have meff or dissios. I think I take 8/2 1x daily now more often than 8/2 twice. I should just try it. Let people think i have a cold. I’d pick Keaton over this. I had never abused other opioids or opiates (not that I don’t love them). When I first took subs they felt like banging Percocet. Now I feel nothing.

What else is out there?

Also - very new to smoking foil and fuck me do I suck. They sell pipes at the bottom of my street but it’s the gas station everyone I know goes to and I can’t receive packs right now. Foil just feels and smells like poison and when i take care to hold the lighter (bic) so far away and it liquifys I don’t get any smoke at all. I always end up letting it get brown. Is there a harm reduction guide? I searched on here, nothing concrete.

I also try to use meth to practice self care, good hygiene, skin care and masturbation even after sex with really pretty but significantly overweight tinder women.

Seriously any decent protection or supps to either potentiate or protect against meth damage? Help with comedown.

Last edited: