• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Does masturbation reduce stimulant's potency in dopaminergic activities?

ninjapirateroberts

Bluelighter
I know this is a strange question, but it is strictly related to someone on therapeutic stimulants for ADHD (that someone being me and others like myself with ADHD/ADD), not to recreational users. This is also regarding a bio-hack.

Okay, that being said, I usually notice diminished effects of my stimulants when I masturbate in the middle of the day (after about 3-5 hours of Vyvanse onset). My speculation is that masturbation causes excess release of dopamine, and since ADHD stimulant medications (of amphetamine-type) primarily act on dopamine by inducing its release and reuptake inhibition, masturbation causes dopamine depletion (since less dopamine is available in pre-synaptic neurons for releasing agents like dexamphetamine to induce a steady release).

I notice a nicer stimulant effect for my ADHD when I do not masturbate that day (or didn't masturbate for 2-3 days straight). But personally, I did notice masturbation messing with my stimulant therapy.

In general, this makes sense since Vyvanse (or other amphetamine-type stimulants) induces dopamine release and reuptake inhibition, and celibacy (meaning not fapping for a day or two) will build up "dopamine bank" so stimulants have more dopamine to work with, and jacking off causes a significant amount of dopamine loss on orgasm (so stimulants have less dopamine to work with). I am planning to experiment with "nofap" and stimulant medications since not jakcing off made the stimulant experience much better.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
This is purely anecdotal, but I’ve noticed that I get a stronger effect for less product if I don’t cum for a couple days prior to taking MDMA. I assume a similar mechanism of action is taking place here?

This is purely anecdotal, but I’ve noticed that I get a stronger effect for less product if I don’t cum for a couple days prior to taking MDMA. I assume a similar mechanism of action is taking place here?
Yeah. A lot of people with ADHD on the internet seem to have similar experiences, but they're purely anecdotal (can't find a single study on this—we just need to connect the dots ourselves). When I didn't fap even for a single day, I noticed significant improvements with stimulants in tackling my ADD symptoms (the effect of the medication is just superior). This resonates with my speculation about "dopamine banks" when I'm not fapping. I'm gonna experiment with nofap and see how it affects my stimulant medication.

It makes logical sense. Masturbation and especially orgasm release prolactin, also called dopamine-antagonizing hormone. That's why guys who jerk off too much tend to have low motivation. It would therefore follow that maybe it would also reduce the efficacy of doperaminergic activity of some substances.

I personally don't masturbate a lot because of how lazy it makes me. My vitality, clarity, and ability to get shit done in my life stays a lot stronger. But YMMV, obviously.