• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Does seroquel prevent and/or reverse dopamine receptor toxicity in meth use?

chicken hoagie

Bluelighter
I could never seem to get a clear answer on this question, and I wanted to once again try to get a decent discussion going on this topic, as I have found myself not deeply hooked, but have always been at least a light and casual user of meth..unfortunately I feel like it has done its fair share of wear and tear on the pleasure centers of my brain..obvious clues are present, most notably is my meloncholy depression. I am prescribed seroquel and was curious as to whether I would expect to just do more damage with the seroquel (as I simply use it as a sleep aid..i hardly sleep even with it now, but I do not sleep period without it, even if I'm not using meth), or if it is rather wise to use it in conjunction with meth to prevent neurotoxicity, or quite possibly even reverse gene expression in D2 receptor density as I do believe it does so from prolonged use.

Unlikely to reverse it, but depending on the dose, it can put a damper on meth's dopaminergic effects, which in turn might reduce the extent of the damage. At a minimum, by forcing sleep it might have a brain sparing effect to some degree.

But low doses of quetiapine act mainly as an antihistamine, with little dopamine blockade (which becomes more significant in doses above 100mg+)..

OP Google Adohenia medical term. You may find what your exactly saying and what to expect casual use if continued will become addictive before u blink and u may not suck dick for a hit but maybe spending too much is your lowest low we all different get off the ice before it becomes all encompassing and takes the light out ur eyes and you become dead inside left only walking in a shell, wearing a mask for emotions but really having none. Me I'm 15 years into it and 5am posting on here trying to balance karma. Seroquel has no known permanent changes when out ur system it's not going to continue to help. Also look into desensitization of the dopamine receptors, and the devastating fact that those are finate. Not gonna type it all out just do some digging. You'll find ur answers by doing the work.

I think it does neither. Seroquel attaches to dopamine receptors and blocks them (in higher dosages which are very unpleasant), yeah, but the dopaminergic toxicity doesn't come solely from overly activated receptors. Seroquel does nothing against the surge of extracellular dopamine and its oxidation which leads to toxic free radicals.

I don't see why it would, and I wouldn't recommend taking it for any reason unless you have psychosis and abilify doesn't work. Quetiapine is an anti-cholinergic and those are associated with an increased risk of dementia. Meth itself already increases the risk of developing dementia, so limiting additional risk where possible is a good idea.

Some cursory research on this question suggests supplementing with coq10, b12, and vitamin D may mitigate the neurotoxicity of meth. I don't think they will reverse it, per se, but would probably support your body in repairing itself as much as possible. I feel like I read somewhere magnesium may also be good, but I can't find any data on that. Some of the damage will be repaired with prolonged abstinance, but probably not all of it - however, this is still a subject of ongoing research and is undoubtedly complicated by incredibly high relapse rates coupled with the length of time repair actually requires. There aren't any treatments to reverse the damage or treat the effects of the damage - at least, not yet.

This is a good question. It very well could be right because Quetiapine and Clozapine are first line treatments for treating dementia and parkinsons related psychosis. I believe part of it is their low D2 binding affinity and lack of extrapyramidal effects.

Quetiapine worsens cognitive decline and increases the risk of death in people with dementia. Just clarifying that in this case, "first-line" is misleading. Unfortunately, there really aren't any treatments for psychosis that can be considered the gold standard in people with dementia. There isn't even very strong evidence that quetiapine is effective, and that coupled with the increased risk of death and worsening cognitive function means that pharmaceutical treatment should be a last resort. Personally, I suspect that the primary motivation for prescribing it to this population is to sedate the patient for the convenience of caregivers. That suspicion is supported by the fact that people with dementia in nursing homes are prescribed quetiapine at a much greater rate.

I think it does neither. Seroquel attaches to dopamine receptors and blocks them (in higher dosages which are very unpleasant), yeah, but the dopaminergic toxicity doesn't come solely from overly activated receptors. Seroquel does nothing against the surge of extracellular dopamine and its oxidation which leads to toxic free radicals.

On brief investigation there actually is some evidence to suggest that it might:

But one would likely have to consume zombifying, antipsychotic-sized doses to realize any such "benefit", which in turn have toxic properties of their own.

Probably the biggest benefit at lower doses would be quetiapine's ability to induce sleep and stimulate the appetite. Sleeping and eating (vs not sleeping and eating) makes a world of difference when its comes to the speed and severity of a stimulant abusers decline.

On brief investigation there actually is some evidence to suggest that it might:

But one would likely have to consume zombifying, antipsychotic-sized doses to realize any such "benefit", which in turn have toxic properties of their own.

Probably the biggest benefit at lower doses would be quetiapine's ability to induce sleep and stimulate the appetite. Sleeping and eating (vs not sleeping and eating) makes a world of difference when its comes to the speed and severity of a stimulant abusers decline.
This is the evidence i more tend to believe and follow. Bare-minimum, it does still help tremendously with sleep and appetite -- i typically couple it with remeron. IMO it does help tremendously with any sort of comedown.

Unfortunately the damage has been done on the dopaminergic end ..an ADHD/addict brain craving amphetamines likely always will crave amphetamines for lack of dopaminergic excitation..i give my brain a minimal amount, as to keep side effects to a bare minimum..only snorted, 100mg at most in a day. In retrospect this is still a lot -- when you compare it to the daily maximum allowed dosage of adderall in psychiatry..so I dont push it any further than what my brain seems to 'need.' but to me seroquel is a last resort to not having benzos and works pretty well as prescribed..preventing downregulation of dopamine was just a hopeful side effect

I was on 800mg of seroquel for a decade, then gradually got off it over 5 years and haven't had it since 2016. I really would think twice before using it in the expectation that it will leave you better off - particularly if you use it regularly long term. Helping you sleep and eat is certainly a benefit. However, I now have constant insomnia that doesn't respond to anything but ambien, which unfortunately worsens my major depressive disorder. My body also now associates being sleepy with being ravenous, so even though I haven't taken seroquel in ages, I haven't lost the weight I gained while taking it. My blood sugar is permanently borderline pre-diabetes - even when I've been on a keto diet for months. While I was taking seroquel, I was constantly sleepy. I finally had a sleep study and found out I had sleep apnea - not the snoring kind, but central sleep apnea where my brain just wouldn't send the signal for me to breathe. I believe this was due to the seroquel since I no longer have to wear a cpap and nothing else has changed except not taking the seroquel. I was also diagnosed with some sort of limb movement disorder - I was constantly moving in my sleep. Even awake, I can't resist constantly twitching my fingers and toes. This has been a permanent consequence, though I now take gabapentin at night which helps. I usually just say I have restless leg syndrome, but it's not limited to my legs so is likely a mild form of tardive dyskinesia which is caused by antipsychotics. And I'm lucky - at least the twitching doesn't involve my face, which has happened to other people.

If you want to take something for sleeping and eating, I would just take the remeron and not the seroquel. I've also been on that but had to stop due to massive and unrelenting weight gain - weight gain I certainly didn't need having already gained 50lbs on the seroquel.

I can also say that for me personally, seroquel does not appear to have prevented downregulation of my dopamine receptors (in my case due to the same idiot doctor who prescribed the massive dose of seroquel also prescribing a massive dose of Adderall). Of course, I have no way of knowing if the downregulation would have been worse in the absence of the seroquel - but that's hard to imagine since I can barely function as it is. My cognitive faculties have declined tremendously and I attribute this primarily to the massive doses of seroquel and adderall. I'm still on the adderall, though at a lower dose, because I become practically comatose from depression when I stop. I actually began fearing I was developing early dementia (seroquel is associated with cognitive decline and an increased risk of dementia), but my psychiatrist has reassured me that my symptoms are more akin to pseudo-dementia.

I'm obviously not unbiased on this subject, but I want anybody reading to fully comprehend that seroquel is no joke. The evidence for its efficacy for the use described is, in my opinion, not nearly robust enough to justify taking it in the off-chance it helps. I'm not even just basing that on my personal experience as there is plenty of robust evidence for the frequency and severity of side effects. Taking it occasionally for the comedown is better than chronically, but even occasional use of anticholinergics is associated with significant cognitive decline. It also may actually lead to increased stimulant usage - the only reason I even started taking Adderall in the first place is to counterract the extreme sedation and brain fog of the seroquel. And now I'm stuck on the adderall. So caution should be taken that you don't end up in a continuous loop of using the seroquel to come down, then craving meth even more the next day as a result, then needing to take more to get the same effect because the seroquel is still in your system.

Anyway, I'll conclude this novel by mentioning TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation). As I've said, I have treatment resistant major depressive disorder. The most prominent symptom for me is the monumental effort it takes to do every little thing because hardly anything gives me satisfaction or a sense of achievement, let alone enjoyment. Unless I take meth, that is. Anyway, it got so bad this past summer that I begged my psychiatrist for electroconvulsive therapy as meds weren't helping and I was at the end of my rope. She wanted me to try TMS first, so I did. TMS is theorized to work by stimulating areas of the brain that have decreased activity in depression. It did help some - I still don't feel much enjoyment, but it did improve my ability to feel a more normal sense of satisfaction when I complete a task. I wonder if this kind of brain stimulation might someday prove helpful for stimulant post-acute withdrawal syndrome and/or as a treatment to reduce cravings for stimulants. It would be an interesting subject of future research.

No, 50mg before bed destroys my high in the morning and even next night. 25mg even has a notable decrease. Wish I could change this as we speak cuz im getting some clear in about 30 min but I took a 25 this morning after my morning class to get a fat nap in. Damn!!!

I confirm, haven't done stimulants in 2 years, got on quatiapine last january and recently i binged on coke and speed. everything is smoother