• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Does short acting opioids affect sexual glands all day?

bookshelf1

Bluelighter
i had that thread about hypogonadism but i found it confusing for some people.so i made this one.
oxycodone has a 3 hour duration at most and a half life of 2-4.5 hours(reference)
i want to know if using oxycodone once a day lowers your testosterone level for all day or not?
in my experience when i used it once back in the old days,when i tapered it i had not much difference in sexual erection.on the other hand when i use oxycodone all day after i taper it for example only 10mg less than yesterday, i will get erection that night.
so i guess it has temporary effect just when you use it.what do you think?
i should mention there is some studies about opioid and testosterone levels which they didn't talk about how many times used per day.so i am asking you.
please don't give me that eye rolling if you are against using opioids.i need to know this.

Last edited:
The effect will be greater with extended release opioids (or around the clock dosing of IR opioids), but all opioids will reduce testosterone. The extent to which this occurs is dose dependent and also a function of duration/consistency of exposure.

Note that opioids don't directly suppress testosterone but instead suppress gonadotropin-releasing and luteinizing hormone, which in turn, results in the body producing less testosterone given the important role those hormones have in signaling testosterone production. Same difference though I suppose.

All men will see a decrease in serum testosterone levels from any consistent opioid use, but it doesn't always result in hypogonadism. In fact, just the other day I found some of my bloodwork that I had done while i was on 380mg/day of methadone, and interestingly my total testosterone was in the mid 700ng/dl range -- which is more than double the blood level of testosterone that is generally associated with hypogonadism (around 300-350ng/dl or less). That said, I was young, have always had unusually high testosterone, and a test from a few years after I got off of methadone shows testosterone in the 1300ng/dl range, so perhaps that test in the 700ng/dl range does constitute a form of hypogonadism in my case, at least in a relative sense.

I think there are multiple parts to your investigation. I’m just gonna say it - boners aren’t all about testosterone levels either.

Oxycodone even in low doses, lowered both my hormone (testosterone) serum levels as well as the ‘desire’ to even have sex at all, just lost the drive. When I stopped taking it frequently in higher doses, my sex drive returned a little but it’s not back to what it was before, barely have one at all.

Chronic opiate users often report either an inability to finish (can be good or bad I guess) or not to have the physical desire at all. Either way, science points out that chronic use, lowers sex hormones. My personal experience would support that. In my experience, using even a small amount ‘once a day’ or every second day, that I couldn’t ‘feel’, would still result in lowered drive as well as serum testosterone levels.

I would like to just make note that ‘the reward system’ (in the brain) may play into what you’re considering, endorphins from sex/arousal, connection, exercise, can help ease withdrawals and feed the positive reward system, like when we eat TASTY food; the brain wants to fill those blanks so to speak.

What’s the concern behind this?

I think there are multiple parts to your investigation. I’m just gonna say it - boners aren’t all about testosterone levels either.

Oxycodone even in low doses, lowered both my hormone (testosterone) serum levels as well as the ‘desire’ to even have sex at all, just lost the drive. When I stopped taking it frequently in higher doses, my sex drive returned a little but it’s not back to what it was before, barely have one at all.

Chronic opiate users often report either an inability to finish (can be good or bad I guess) or not to have the physical desire at all. Either way, science points out that chronic use, lowers sex hormones. My personal experience would support that. In my experience, using even a small amount ‘once a day’ or every second day, that I couldn’t ‘feel’, would still result in lowered drive as well as serum testosterone levels.

I would like to just make note that ‘the reward system’ (in the brain) may play into what you’re considering, endorphins from sex/arousal, connection, exercise, can help ease withdrawals and feed the positive reward system, like when we eat TASTY food; the brain wants to fill those blanks so to speak.

What’s the concern behind this?
aah i didn't say every erection is about testosterone levels but what happened to me about erection at night,happens to me frequently every time i use oxy.
i want to know how much i am going to get damage from opioid usage.

This thread is exactly like the one you already have open. Same question just using the word " sexual glands " instead of hypogonadism ( or whichever word you used ).

You are liable to get the same comments as you are getting on your other open thread and I don't think anyone was confused.

If the comments are the same as on the other thread we will eventually merge them into one but we'll see how this thread goes. Nobody is going to give you an eye roll but we can only give you so much advice ( like many already have ) and if you were really concerned maybe reading some published papers with peer reviews would give you more insight into your erections when using opioids daily.

This thread is exactly like the one you already have open. Same question just using the word " sexual glands " instead of hypogonadism ( or whichever word you used ).

You are liable to get the same comments as you are getting on your other open thread and I don't think anyone was confused.

If the comments are the same as on the other thread we will eventually merge them into one but we'll see how this thread goes. Nobody is going to give you an eye roll but we can only give you so much advice ( like many already have ) and if you were really concerned maybe reading some published papers with peer reviews would give you more insight into your erections when using opioids daily.
that old thread was about worthiness of using opioids at all.this new one is specifically about short acting opioids and duration of low testosterone.
anyway you can delete this if you like.i don't like to discuss about whether i am wrong or not,specially with a man in power.

that old thread was about worthiness of using opioids at all.this new one is specifically about short acting opioids and duration of low testosterone.
anyway you can delete this if you like.i don't like to discuss about whether i am wrong or not,specially with a man in power.
I'm not going to delete your thread. I said I might merge them into one.

I know what the threads are about. I have read both of them. This one is fine to stay open to see if you get any different comments from your other one.

The effects on libido and as you say "glands" is basically concurrent with the effect of the drug. It's not permanent or anything like that. It's pretty much par for the course to have a lowered libido/sex drive when Opioids are in the system. Like with any medication, taking it chronically will lead to a leveling-off effect in most people, in which the effects on libido will be pretty much perennial, day and night.

For what it's worth, I have been on Opiates most of my life and the effects on my libido wore off after a few short years ;)

my voice changes and my tone gets deeper(permanently) whenever i put opioids away or lower my dose a lot ,even for one day.
i'm thinking if i am loosing having a beautiful voice by using opioids.anyone had this experience before?

i got my test results recently and despite i use oxycodone a lot everyday(around 200mg total) my testosterone was 5.7 ng/ml which is normal.