News Drinking Rates Crept Up in U.S. States Once Weed Was Made Legal

RUC4

Bluelighter
Drinking Rates Crept Up in US States Once Weed Was Made Legal

U.S. News
By Cara Murez HealthDay Reporter
29 November 2022

Excerpts:

Could unfettered access to marijuana fuel a rise in drinking rates?
Yes, report researchers who found alcohol consumption increased at times and in places where marijuana was made legal for certain groups.
"It appears that cannabis use increases the probability that people drink, at least in the three years after legalization," Drake said in a university news release.
The researchers used data on 4.2 million adults from federal government surveys administered from 2010 through 2019. During this time period, 11 states legalized recreational cannabis.

You have to be careful as that tittle could be misleading

The overall data showed that having at least one drink of any alcoholic beverage in the past month increased by 1.2 percentage points in the first year after recreational cannabis was legalized. However, that number dropped in the following two years. No change was found for binge or heavy drinking in the overall population.

So it shows a negligible one year increase that could have had nothing to do with legalization with a drop in the next two years following and no change in possible problematic heavy drinkers.

Anyway.. yawn

Last edited:
I fucking hate “journalists” (aka sensationalists) so much. This data could be looked at in so many ways.. It could be a bit of a celebratory year given the people just got their weed finally, it could be tourists flocking in looking to party, it could be a simple period of adjustment, or all the above.

It’s also looking at “one drink in the last month” not excessive problem drinking which likely went down.

-GC

I fucking hate “journalists” (aka sensationalists) so much. This data could be looked at in so many ways.. It could be a bit of a celebratory year given the people just got their weed finally, it could be tourists flocking in looking to party, it could be a simple period of adjustment, or all the above.

It’s also looking at “one drink in the last month” not excessive problem drinking which likely went down.

-GC
Yeah I was thinking weed tourism is to blame for the first year.
They didn’t show causation for me, but it’s an interesting topic. The age old idea that weed is a gateway. People are going to read this and think weed makes people drink more.

You have to be careful as that tittle could be misleading

So it shows a negligible one year increase that could have had nothing to do with legalization with a drop in the next two years following and no change in possible problematic heavy drinkers.

Anyway.. yawn
The title is the name of the article. That's the format. People should read the whole thing or bare minimum the comments before making judgements.