•     THE LOUNGE    

Welcome Guest!

Read Before PostingBluelight Rules

• Lounge Moderators: D's | CFC

Social Drop a Selfie!

Xorkoth

Administrator
Staff member
WHOA nice bookshelf! I see we have very similar tastes in books! I've read a lot of these, actually. Some good authors here: Tad Williams, Brandon Sanderson, A.G. Riddle, nice! I'm assuming you've read The Dresden Files? How about anything by Jeff Wheeler? Benedict Jacka? Kim Harrison? Do you like BOTH sci-fi and fantasy? How about urban paranormal?

I love books omg :doggo:

NO! I haven't! Okay you're a gold mine right now, I gotta check this out. Everything from the Dresden Files on, nope, haven't read.

Yeah I like science fiction and fantasy, though epic fantasy is my main thing and I have read a lot more of it than science fiction.

Have you read The Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 books)? Steven Erikson? If not... pretty challenging to get into, but the best recommendation I ever received from another BLer. Absolutely amazing.

I recently read all of Robin Hobbs' books, and they were also very excellent, some of my favorites ever. Recently read R. Scott Bakker (Prince of Nothing trilogy and a later 4 book series) which was also amazing but the ending made me legitimately angry, fair warning, like you can't do that to people. Currently I am reading Mark Lawrence (Prince of Thorns is the first book), which at first I thought was just alright but as I progress through his books I can see he has a hell of a vision and they're rapidly becoming much higher in my esteem.

Last edited:

Xorkoth

Administrator
Staff member
I have always been a voracious reader, started reading novels with the Redwall books when I was 7. My mom instilled an early love for reading in me. I usually have a hard time falling asleep so I read in bed to get tired, some nights I'll fall asleep after 20 pages but a lot of the time I'll read 100-200 pages before I fall asleep. It's often the best part of my day.

xtcgrrrl

Moderator: SLR
Staff member
Wow, reading the comments on Amazon... they sure do diverge. I have always been told by people I know who have read them all that the books after Frank were basically like 1/10 as good, lacked the feel of the originals, lacked the beautiful prose, read like an amateur wrote them. And quite a few people do say that. Yet there are also quite a few reviews by people who write as if they have put thought into it that they're great and as engaging as Frank's. I guess I'll just have to take the plunge.
I actually thought Brian's writing style was preferable over Frank's. Most of his books can be grouped into 3s, although you can read them in any order, really. Dune: The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, and The Battle of Corrin are BEFORE House Atriedes, House Harkonnen, and House Corrino, chronologically, just FYI

I really liked the "historical" feel of the novels, how it was as if they were explanations for parts of the Dune universe, and they had a realistic, gritty feel to them. The human motivations behind all the events of the central novel (Dune, the first one by Frank) were laid bare and you can see how many years, even centuries, of events led to these events (and the complexity of the background is utterly satisfying but at the same time no stone is left unturned, even the subplots are explained in full detail.) Once you read these, you can go back and re-read Dune with a fresh eye, going, "ah THATS why this happened" and you see the same characters again in a new light, now that you know how their lives have led up to this point.

Hey, tell me which one you start with, cuz I would love to discuss these books some more! I've read and re-read all of them more than once, but now I have a hankering to read them all again (and I have most of them in hardcover!)

Xorkoth

Administrator
Staff member
Have you read The Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 books)? Steven Erikson? If not... pretty challenging to get into, but the best recommendation I ever received from another BLer. Absolutely amazing.

The first book me (and my friends/family I've introduced to it) were like.... okay, what the fuck was that? Then by halfway through the second I was in love. He has very high level writing, a 100% unique world that borrows virtually no tropes from anything else (the only thing is there are dragons, but they aren't called dragons and they're also very different/alien), and he doesn't EVER talk down to you or have characters explain anything... also there are like hundreds of characters, some recurring, some a one-off. Every scene is told in third person where you're semi-inhabiting one person's head, and the story is slowly explained by you observing. It takes quite some time to really grasp it all, in fact the second time I read the series, I picked up like 500% more than the first time. It's also quite funny a lot of the time, and also dark, and the storyline spans over 100,000 years (though the main arc spans ~40 years).

Xorkoth

Administrator
Staff member
I actually thought Brian's writing style was preferable over Frank's. Most of his books can be grouped into 3s, although you can read them in any order, really. Dune: The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, and The Battle of Corrin are BEFORE House Atriedes, House Harkonnen, and House Corrino, chronologically, just FYI

I really liked the "historical" feel of the novels, how it was as if they were explanations for parts of the Dune universe, and they had a realistic, gritty feel to them. The human motivations behind all the events of the central novel (Dune, the first one by Frank) were laid bare and you can see how many years, even centuries, of events led to these events (and the complexity of the background is utterly satisfying but at the same time no stone is left unturned, even the subplots are explained in full detail.) Once you read these, you can go back and re-read Dune with a fresh eye, going, "ah THATS why this happened" and you see the same characters again in a new light, now that you know how their lives have led up to this point.

Hey, tell me which one you start with, cuz I would love to discuss these books some more! I've read and re-read all of them more than once, but now I have a hankering to read them all again (and I have most of them in hardcover!)

Will do. I have to finish the series I'm reading, but that won't take but a week...

I'm going to have to check out the other authors you mentioned, too.

Nas47

Road-Weary Traveler
Okay, finally decent enough 64 GB only though but that'll do me really. New Samsung tablet much prefer to iPad.

Better video qual & picture, sound for one.

iPads are weird too, Samsung tablets a doddle quick wipe super clean forever, iPad kinda grimy needs chems prob, sticky screen.

Still learning each app.

Today, 1st cam trial.

And a new look me too.

Been through life's bushes and some universal depression lately but.... is it me or is my head proper round or what? :ROFLMAO:

Hey Auto Tripper..u lookin' good!no joke💪💪💪

xtcgrrrl

Staff member
NO! I haven't! Okay you're a gold mine right now, I gotta check this out. Everything from the Dresden Files on, nope, haven't read.

Yeah I like science fiction and fantasy, though epic fantasy is my main thing and I have read a lot more of it than science fiction.

Have you read The Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 books)? Steven Erikson? If not... pretty challenging to get into, but the best recommendation I ever received from another BLer. Absolutely amazing. The first book me (and my friends/family I've introduced to it) were like.... okay, what the fuck was that? Then by halfway through the second I was in love. He has very high level writing, a 100% unique world that borrows virtually no tropes from anything else (the only thing is there are dragons, but they aren't called dragons and they're also very different/alien), and he doesn't EVER talk down to you or have characters explain anything... also there are like hundreds of characters, some recurring, some a one-off. Every scene is told in third person where you're semi-inhabiting one person's head, and the story is slowly explained by you observing. It takes quite some time to really grasp it all, in fact the second time I read the series, I picked up like 500% more than the first time. It's also quite funny a lot of the time, and also dark, and the storyline spans over 100,000 years (though the main arc spans ~40 years).

I recently read all of Robin Hobbs' books, and they were also very excellent, some of my favorites ever. Recently read R. Scott Bakker (Prince of Nothing trilogy and a later 4 book series) which was also amazing but the ending made me legitimately angry, fair warning, like you can't do that to people. Currently I am reading Mark Lawrence (Prince of Thorns is the first book), which at first I thought was just alright but as I progress through his books I can see he has a hell of a vision and they're rapidly becoming much higher in my esteem.
Ok if you have not read The Dresden Files, YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST, you will love it. Storm Front is the first one. This is one of those series of books where I want to go stand on a street corner and scream at passersby "YOU MUST READ THESE!!!" So. Good. If you like mind-bending sci-fi, check out Recursion and Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. This guy is AMAZING and I wish he'd write more books faster! Sometimes my favorite authors DIE and I'm just like "NOOOOO" because then there will be no more books...so I often pray (not really, I'm not religious, more like fervently hope) for a certain author to live forever or at least a very very long time and to write a ton more books! I've written to authors (and even gotten replies!) If I could get a job reading books, that would be my ideal job! (They would have to be books I'm actually interested in, but that's ok, because I'm interested in...almost everything, lol! Seriously, no, there's very few topics I am not interested in!)

I should just screenshot my kindle at this rate lol. You have no idea how happy I am to meet another bookworm!!! 🤓 I am taking notes right now (not kidding, I am legitimately writing this down) because these are GREAT book recommendations! Have not read Steven Erikson. Or any of the others you mentioned...But I just added them to my TBR on Goodreads. (Robin Hobbs isn't on there?) The cover of The Darkness That Comes Before looks so intriguing, I may just buy that right away so I can start on it!!! THANK YOU for these!!!!

Xorkoth

Administrator
Staff member
xorko sorry to interrupt but what happend to ok? why is everyone nowadays using okay

It's technically spelled okay.

I should just screenshot my kindle at this rate lol. You have no idea how happy I am to meet another bookworm!!! 🤓 I am taking notes right now (not kidding, I am legitimately writing this down) because these are GREAT book recommendations! Have not read Steven Erikson. Or any of the others you mentioned...But I just added them to my TBR on Goodreads. (Robin Hobbs isn't on there?) The cover of The Darkness That Comes Before looks so intriguing, I may just buy that right away so I can start on it!!! THANK YOU for these!!!!

Haha, me too!! I wrote it all down so I don't forget. I love it when avid readers come on here, especially when they're not the types who scoff at fiction. I've discovered a lot of great stuff by talking about books with Bluelighters.

The Darkness That Comes Before is intense. I loved it, I just really hope he writes more. He's young, and I read on a fan page that he is going to/is but lost like 2 million words because his PC crashed or something. Which... ever heard of the cloud?? Man, that would be devastating. Also there is some issue with his publisher. The ending of the 7th book (the last of the second set) is not satisfying... rarely have been so, uh, well honestly pissed off, when I finished a series. Up until the last page I was in love. I still love them, but just prepare yourself, I guess. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything, lol. Those books are a serious mindfuck, you never know whether one of the main characters is the savior of humanity or horrifically evil. And still don't at the end. It takes place like 2000 years after the first apocalypse and leads up to the second apocalypse. Very dark, I read online that the "genre" is called "grimdark".

My highest recommendation remains Steven Erikson. And also Robin Hobbs. She wrote 3 trilogies that are written in first person, from the perspective of the main character. I loved them so much. And she also wrote another trilogy and a 4-book set, that take place in between and fill out parts of the story that are alluded to in the main 9 books, that are in third person perspective, and also excellent.

OH, and also The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear... Patrick Rothfuss. Another first person, they're so excellent. But have been waiting for the third book for like 10 years, no idea what's up with that. It's supposed to be the last one, but I can't conceive of how the story could be finished in one more book.

xtcgrrrl

Staff member
Wow, that WOULD really suck, to lose a couple million words! I write, myself, but no one has ever read what I write because I'm super worried that I SUCK. And honestly I'm just embarrassed. Maybe someday, IDK, but I'm convinced that I suck, so I just do it for my own amusement. I've written journals since I was 13 years old and somehow I feel like I could more easily show someone THAT writing than the fiction I've created!

I'll keep it in mind about the ending of that series, I know what you mean, sometimes it does not end the way you thought it would, or you just...don't agree with the ending. And then...there are the books where the ending is SO PERFECT, you can't even be mad/sad that it's over. One book like that, for me, was Recursion (by Blake Crouch, I mentioned it above.) This guy is also a screenplay writer, he wrote Wayward Pines AND adapted it for TV. So the end of this book, it's so...cinematic, yknow? It's like I can hear the music swell and then the CLIMATIC SCENE and....BOOM! Roll credits....it's SO MOTHERFUCKING GOOD!!!! Read it. You must.

Grimdark...omg....how did I not know this before?? It's so dramatic, I love it. I love post-apocalyptic fiction. If you like that genre, I have an enormous list of books you should read...

I'll start with Steven Erikson, then. Adding Patrick Rothfuss to the list as well. Looks like I'm gonna be set for this winter with things to read when the weather is bad 😁

Bluelight book club? lol

AutoTripper

Bluelighter
Youre the British version of cox...
I like Cox has never been kept secret. It was mutual.

I have never observed Cox looking to rub a man down, nitpicking on others immaturely like a 3 yr old.

If you actually examine how he conducted himself here, he never once levied a random unprovoked troll-like facetious flippant criticism or judgement upon others, just you know cos he's got nothing better to do.

He did, lived his own life his own way. Not seeking to pry on others cracks chip em a bit.

Just you know, cos you obviously got nothing better to do like.

Cox brought positivity. No random uncalled for negativity towards another.

I bring a lot of positivity too. I accept and support people. People got enough real matterful stuff in life to deal with. I don't accept and support trolls though.

Have you ever ANYTHING real, sincere, positive, maybe even a little personal? To offer.

I've seen no evidence. Bullies prey on the weak though. Which isn't me.

I did cut my own hair too. Always do. It's not cost me any acclaim. Grows back like Ivy anyway. Saves me 7 quid and an excursion twice a year. I'm not ashamed.

Seems like you have more struggle with it. But then it's just something, anything, anything will do right, to pick upon. Troll about.

Why go out your way? Well it is your way isn't it really so but.. to instill little insecurities in people you think you see a sensitivity in?

It's just very sad man. I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt but the gut doesn't lie. Not much else to say really. Troll on I guess. You may be heading for the invisible button. Only one and ever, not because I'm bothered, I just see no point need or benefit for myself.