Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Drug treatment for methamphetamine

Tronica

Executive Director
Hi everyone

I wanted to start a discussion about drug treatments for methamphetamine, for those who wish to reduce or quit. Obviously it's not like opioids where we have known tried/tested replacement therapies. So far I don't think there's been a treatment trialled that really works but many different research studies continue to try and find something useful.

Has anyone here been involved either in a trial or a self-guided replacement, e.g. with ADHD meds or other stimulant medications?

Also wanted to draw your attention to a study currently recruiting young people in Victoria to try new medications for methamphetamine reduction. Here's the link to the Drug Studies thread for more info. Could be of interest if you are in the target group!

Perforated

Bluelight Crew
There was a study at St Vincents in Sydney in the last few years that tried substituting dexamfetamine for meth users. I believe it is finished and the results were inconclusive - as they have been for most published studies about amphetamines substitution. What I’ve read about most studies is that the specific requirements regarding subjects make them fairly pointless. For example they typically exclude poly drug users and people with mental health conditions.

Personally, I had limited success trying dexamfetamine substitution. WHen not consuming meth I had great success for many years treating my ADHD symptoms with prescribed dexamfetamine (10 mg 3x per day). After taking meth regularly for 6 months at 3-4 grams per week I quit and tried taking 80-100 mg dexamfetamine per day in a single dose (as was done in the various studies I read). It did not prevent cravings off relapse to any great degree. But it did not notably worsen my addiction either.

However, I did find that my regular dose of dexamfetamine for ADHD combined with the anti-psychotic Abilify was more effective and supported long periods of abstinence.

I had far more success breaking long streaks of methamphetamine addiction with Ketamine and LSD. Several trips over a 3-4 weeks seemed to flick a switch that totally removed any interest in methamphetamine and resulted in months long periods of abstinence from methamphetamine. Relapse was however eventually caused by social triggers.

Nightrider19

Moderator: AADD
Staff member
There still lays Dexamphetamine in my cupboard,
The true treatment was to remove and cut off anyone in life from that scene, got a new phone number, new social media platforms.
Made it impossible to get anything and never asked anyone around - didnt have anyone to ask.

When you can concentrate on the tv whilst watching a movie or a show that really did it for me, simple things where paranoia
would set in where it doesn't anymore.

Side effects from Methamphetamines' : Psychosis i hear voices which are more prominent with stress normally one sided conversations with people sometimes i recognize the voices and its funny i never hear my families voices when i start hearing them, which for a long time
it was very exhausting hearing them and it really affected my mental health but i have learnt to either tell them to fuck off or
i have told myself if they are real ill find out what they are one day. The voices only really started after i was severely assaulted last year
so i feel they are trauma induced but thats another story as to which the reason i did reduce/stop my use.

Vagabond696

Moderator: AADD
Staff member
There still lays Dexamphetamine in my cupboard,
The true treatment was to remove and cut off anyone in life from that scene, got a new phone number, new social media platforms.
Made it impossible to get anything and never asked anyone around - didnt have anyone to ask.

When you can concentrate on the tv whilst watching a movie or a show that really did it for me, simple things where paranoia
would set in where it doesn't anymore.

Side effects from Methamphetamines' : Psychosis i hear voices which are more prominent with stress normally one sided conversations with people sometimes i recognize the voices and its funny i never hear my families voices when i start hearing them, which for a long time
it was very exhausting hearing them and it really affected my mental health but i have learnt to either tell them to fuck off or
i have told myself if they are real ill find out what they are one day. The voices only really started after i was severely assaulted last year
so i feel they are trauma induced but thats another story as to which the reason i did reduce/stop my use.
To be fair, trauma is the reason 95% of us are here on this site anyway.