News DRUGS - the musical - on the upcoming Overdose Awareness Day (31 August)

Hello to the Bluelight community

On 31 August, it will be International Overdose Awareness Day. The tag line for this year's campaign is - Don't let a day go by without doing something to #endoverdose

It could mean having naloxone handy, or using a reagent test kit or fentanyl strip on your gear, or avoiding use when alone where you may not have someone able to call for help if things go wrong. It could be advocating for safe consumptions sites and drug checking services in your part of the world. Or just sharing solid harm reduction advice here at Bluelight.

Over the years, and especially the last 12 months, we've tragically seen some of our Bluelight friends die from overdose. So let's spread the word and look after each other as best we can - we know harm reduction can save lives.

And on that note, we want to let you know about a Canadian initiative supporting harm reduction called DRUGS the musical! It's a fundraiser for Canadian harm reduction groups, as well as an online performance that will be broadcast on Overdose Awareness Day (31 August). See the info below.

Excitingly, our very known @Outlier will be part of the performance for the December show. We at Bluelight look forward to joining other harm reduction organisations to support this cause later in 2021.

More info about Drugs The Musical copied below!

Take care everyone
Tronica

musical_aug_21.jpg

DRUGS! (The Musical)

Joe Amero is a Toronto based comedian and Social Worker. He's a graduate of the Longform & Improv conservatories at The Second City Training Centre where he co-created his prolific troupe Pepperoni Pizza Cats.
Joe is an alumni of Bad Dog Theatre's Featured Players and has enjoyed performing stand up and sketch comedy as well as appearing in films. Joe is a survivor of addiction and is beyond grateful to spend his time these days with his loving family.

DRUGS! (The Musical) is the follow up to his sold out one person show Blood.

But this isn't about Joe Amero or even DRUGS! (The Musical).

The whole idea was created to raise awareness through education and de stigmatize drug use by celebrating the true and steady soldiers on the front lines doing the real work and contribute to their amazingly worthy cause.

ALL the proceeds from this campaign will benefit Canadian Harm Reduction efforts and initiatives.

Harm Reduction (as defined by The Canadian Drug Policy Coalition ) is a comprehensive, just and science-based approach to substance use. It represents policies, strategies and services, which aim to assist people who use legal and illegal psychoactive drugs to live safer and healthier lives.

Thanks you all in advance for your contribution to this undeniable, evidence-based intervention and the amazing people practicing it and saving lives every day.

Check out all the partners here (list with links to each partner across Canada)

Our goal is to hand them $1000 each to aid in their amazing work (but we're fairly certain they'd accept more)

Please donate today

HARM REDUCTION SAVES LIVES!

You can also follow DRUGS the musical on Facebook

Last edited by a moderator:
My community is handing out naloxone sprays at the community center that day.. no ID, no questions. (And glad they are, but wish they would've promoted awareness by referring to the day by what it is)
So I have an in-law with around 3 years clean, and is really involved in his local recovery community. Had he not been administered naloxone during at least two separate ODs, he'd likely not be alive today. I've administered Narcan, gave CPR.. when he regained consciousness after the Narcan he denies using anything at all (paramedics and law enforcement were present) and went back to getting high the next day, if not the next night. His sister, Mom, and I were sure he was gonna end up dead by OD or gun violence in relation to drugs. So his sobriety helps me remember- everyone is worth saving.

I am so happy to hear that there is finally people truly trying to save lives not hinder by negativity and separation!! Which is what I have Always considered to be societies stance on Drug use to just look down on users a d criminalize them !! Which unfortunately negatively affects so many lives day in and day out

My business goal for my business WORKAHOLIKS INCORPORATED is to be big in the community and help bring our negative criminal life and make it a positive non criminal one

Возможно тут все правильно, однако завтра я заполучу консультацию и отпишусь!
Perhaps everything is correct here, but tomorrow I will get a consultation and unsubscribe!

I’m so glad I translated that. I’ll be preoccupied with this forever, thank you.

Man it hurts everytime i hear of a tragic overdose, whether i knew the person or not it doesn't matter.

Hopefully one day we can get the overdose rates down. Overdoses in the united states, from opioids alone has caused more deaths than were lost in the Vietnam war, and the Iraq War.

Maybe BL should let me present a radio show and people could talk about their lost BLers experiences (I've got three IRL).

Then I'll do a mix to let everybody know life will be worth living, it will be that good.

£500.

Seriously though, we should have a BL mix stream.

On 31 August, it will be International Overdose Awareness Day. The tag line for this year's campaign is - Don't let a day go by without doing something to #endoverdose

It could mean having naloxone handy, or using a reagent test kit or fentanyl strip on your gear, or avoiding use when alone where you may not have someone able to call for help if things go wrong. It could be advocating for safe consumptions sites and drug checking services in your part of the world. Or just sharing solid harm reduction advice here at Bluelight.

Over the years, and especially the last 12 months, we've tragically seen some of our Bluelight friends die from overdose. So let's spread the word and look after each other as best we can - we know harm reduction can save lives.

And on that note, we want to let you know about a Canadian initiative supporting harm reduction called DRUGS the musical! It's a fundraiser for Canadian harm reduction groups, as well as an online performance that will be broadcast on Overdose Awareness Day (31 August). See the info below.

Excitingly, our very known @Outlier will be part of the performance for the December show. We at Bluelight look forward to joining other harm reduction organisations to support this cause later in 2021.

Take care everyone
Tronica

musical_aug_21.jpg

I'm brand new to Bluelight, I can't find where to post a new post on the main page..the one with the ad about the musical. Where do I go cuz I've looked and looked.

Man it hurts everytime i hear of a tragic overdose, whether i knew the person or not it doesn't matter.

Hopefully one day we can get the overdose rates down. Overdoses in the united states, from opioids alone has caused more deaths than were lost in the Vietnam war, and the Iraq War.
Does anyone know in Colorado what is turning black tar into some red bubbly shxt? It's been going around here for a couple years when they're not using coffee or sugar. It's freaking me out.

I have seen two leave too early. Reality checks that I seem to keep getting bashed against the boards by.

I think this is great!
Fighting the war of drugs is a losing battle, so if u can't beat them, don't join them. Instead, help stop the spread of diseases and provide awareness.
I am a still struggling addict.
I lose friends weekly.
The last person I witnessed OD was a close call. TOO CLOSE!
I had to call 911, they administered narcan, & had him on oxygen breathing for him for 6 MINUTES!!! He jumped up & said IM OK IM OK & wth are all these people in my bedroom? (He was naked)
I was rapped in a sheet.
I thought I was gonna lose another friend that night. I'm glad I didn't.
Never use alone!

Take care everyone
Tronica

musical_aug_21.jpg

How did it go ? I was going to watch but I passed out

My community is handing out naloxone sprays at the community center that day.. no ID, no questions. (And glad they are, but wish they would've promoted awareness by referring to the day by what it is)
So I have an in-law with around 3 years clean, and is really involved in his local recovery community. Had he not been administered naloxone during at least two separate ODs, he'd likely not be alive today. I've administered Narcan, gave CPR.. when he regained consciousness after the Narcan he denies using anything at all (paramedics and law enforcement were present) and went back to getting high the next day, if not the next night. His sister, Mom, and I were sure he was gonna end up dead by OD or gun violence in relation to drugs. So his sobriety helps me remember- everyone is worth saving.
Teaching how to save lives by remembering them means telling children the truth and how we learn to overcome the fear of doing so. Here I'm celebrating Columbus Day during during a time when we need a pioneer to see how to set sail creating ways of life along with kids through to adults lives. To share the way we grow up with one another as humble, responsible, and graciousful. <--- Spellcheck didnt know that graciousful was a word, it means to show thanks using grace. I'm sharing this with you now as I humbly think about how to gracefully speak of responsibility.