View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[DXM Subthread] First Time

damian

Bluelighter
i just bought some Robitussin-DM which contains DXM (10 mg) and Guaifenesin (100 mg). I know it's bad to try dex with other active ingredients, but i couldn't find anything dex alone, they were all out of Vicks 44.
i want a good experience for my first time, so i can anyone give me some tips? thanks.
oh- and one more thing, is it possible to get the same amount of effects as if you were to just drink it straight by mixing it in a blended drink (ie. fruit, juice, ice..), i can't stand the taste of cough syrup. hehe, i'd think most of you would agree with me on that one. anyways, thanks a bunch.

It's offical, you're a muitliple posting, greenlighter bitch.
Go buy the robotussin extra strength. The only thing in thatv is DXM.
but seriously, how old are you, 12? 13?

hej domain, try looking for Robitussin-DX which contains 30mg of DXM per 5mL dose. DXM is the only active ingrediant here, so you will have 1200mg of DXM in the 200mL bottle. The cost is about $15 in Melbourne, for 200mL bottle. From what I hear about doses, this should be enough for plateo 4... but i don't think i'll be going there any time soon.

I don't know if other people refer to dexedrine (an ADD medication otherwise sold/used as speed) as dex, but... I dunno. "Dex" makes me think dexedrine and not DXM. DXM just makes me think "I made duke lose."
Bladder2

I wouldn't drink anything that had other shit in it too...it's really not that hard to find DXM only product. Just look around, when a friend and I decided to go on a little DXM binge we started going to different stores so they wouldn't say anything, but more just to know who has what...almost everystore we went to carried some type of DXM only brand stuff. Oh, and definitely stay away from the vicks...it is a very THICK syrup and taste like menthol cough drops, it's nasty. You can mix it, as we tried with thte Vicks since it was so gross, but it made it worse cuz you still taste it just as much and now you got a whole cup full of it. From personal experience go with Robitussion Max Stregnth. I thought this was a good starting dose, and only 4 oz to drink, plus the robitussin is pretty thin so it's not hard to down, do it in like 4-5 gulps max and you'll be fine, don't sip it or you'll never get it down...ok im done typing cuz im too tired to go on, and im just rambling now anyways

what kind of trip is a dxm trip? Someone please explain what you feel or see, and what dosage you took.....

to answer your question, DXM is a really weird trip...if you want to call it that. its similar to being drunk, except you basically can't move. or thats how it is for me anyway. "a guy i know" likes to drink robitussin maximum strength (about 6-8 ounces), then smoke some weed about 15 minutes later. this pretty much floors him for the next 6 hours. it's not terribly enjoyable like shrooms or acid or something, but it's still fun nonetheless

Well your first (and most important) mistake is buying the WRONG BOTTLE. Robotussin Extra Strength COUGH. The ONLY active ingredient should me Dextromethorphan HBr. Next, 4 oz. should be enough for a first time. Always start low and get familiarized with the drug, ANY drug. You also need to be prepared. DXM isn't for everyone... its one of MY drugs of choice but I've robotripped with about 15 other people in my life and only 4 of them went back to do it again. Only 2 continue tripping with me once to twice a month. You're going to feel wired. Muscles clenched, jaw clenched. Stretching will feel nice. Lots of dissociation (duh. its a fucking dissociative. hehe) Most importantly, if you simplly HAVE TO go out in public, don't. Its your first time and God knows how you'll react to crowds of sober people. Try and have a sitter, too.

You're going to feel disgusted the following day (and probably during the "trip" itself) and your brain is going to work at about half power. DXM is the dirtiest drug in the world...

I don't understand why everyone makes DXM out to be some out of this world, mind blowing experience. DXM is no big deal, I drank 500 mg of DXM and all I felt was a little bit spacey. Do some real drugs.

Jesus, get off your high horses. Not every drug is for everyone. DXM just isn't for you. If someone went off saying "Acid sucks, man. Go do some real drugs." or "Acid is dirty" Or hell, any of the drugs that you like, I doubt you would agree... close-mindedness pisses me off.

^^^^^^^(not white flag)
Yeah we are all making up lies.
Seriously though, just because DXM haterz continue to relegate it to non mind-blowing status due to its OTC status does not mean that it is not a powerful drug. Sure, stuff like DMT, salvia, and god forbid, datura, are way more intense than DXM can be. Just because your one experience didn't amount to much does not mean it should be dismissed. Tons of kids report that nothing happens with salvia, but I would harshly disagree with someone that would openly question the intensity of the experience if done right. DXM just gets a bad rep because you can get it at every walgreens or cvs, thus losing its countercultural appeal. I guarantee that if DXM was not used for cough suppression purposes and was a newly discovered chemical all kinds of people would be singing its praises.
[ 08 June 2002: Message edited by: nick44 ]

Originally posted by nick44:
^^^^^^^(not white flag)
Yeah we are all making up lies.
Seriously though, just because DXM haterz continue to relegate it to non mind-blowing status due to its OTC status does not mean that it is not a powerful drug. Sure, stuff like DMT, salvia, and god forbid, datura, are way more intense than DXM can be. Just because your one experience didn't amount to much does not mean it should be dismissed. Tons of kids report that nothing happens with salvia, but I would harshly disagree with someone that would openly question the intensity of the experience if done right. DXM just gets a bad rep because you can get it at every walgreens or cvs, thus losing its countercultural appeal. I guarantee that if DXM was not used for cough suppression purposes and was a newly discovered chemical all kinds of people would be singing its praises.
[ 08 June 2002: Message edited by: nick44 ]

For one thing I had 3 experiences with DXM, 500 mg being my highest dose. Secondly, in countries where DXM is controlled or restricted, it still continues to be a drug that is not enjoyed by many. I'm not saying DXM is bad just because it can be bought OTC, the drug just isn't a big deal. Additonally, if it was a big deal we probably would not use it in so many OTC drugs,as DXM is a fairly old drug.

A tip for a better trip? Gulifstain (sp?) is an EXPECTORANT! This WILL make you vomit.
My tip is buy Robitussin DM Extra Strentgh with NO other additives in it.

I'm not hating, I just feel like it's an extremely dirty high. Some highs are clean and precise, others are dark and dirty.

^^
I'll try to put that into less inflamatory terms.
Every time I take DXM, I get this horrible sensation during the experience and up to a day afterwards. Not so much a headache, more like my brain has been damaged in some way that it doesn't have the vocabulary to tell me not to do DXM again.
I can liken it to somebody who is unable to feel pain (yes, those people exist). Sometimes, one of these people will jump from too high or whatever, and break their leg. No, they don't know its broken., becuase theres no searing pain, but they know somethings wrong down there becuase things are turning purple and its kind of hard to walk for some wierd reason.

Those are all good points. I would agree that DXM does leave you with a "i did something wrong to my brain last night" type feeling. I'm just saying that high dose DXM is another thing entirely from low doses. At low doses I can see why someone would feel that it is not a revolutionary drug. Just a spacey stoned and drunk type of feeling. I'm not advocating that everyone go out and try these high doses either. There are risks associated with these types of doses, as research on the net will show. It can be a pretty mind blowing drug. If you don't believe me check out this trip report by my tussin crewmate disciple.
http://www.bluelight.ru/cgi/ultimatebb1.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=57&t=000212&p=
Where the hell is he anyway? Has anybody seen him?

Also look at the above URL in the DXM section for extraction methods, as stated above, Guaifenesin WILL make you puke, quite violently. But really, goto another chemist and find the right one if you just want to drink it. Some may even have it behind the counter because of abuse (happens in the more ghetto-ish or school areas). Say you have a dry cough, you are allergic to ingredients in Robotussin DM, you NEED a cough medicine that does not make you drowsy or sleepy. You will most likely be sold a Robotussin DX (or extra cough whatever its called in the states, or vicks 44), and check if it is DXM only. Buy that one.

let's see, where to begin...
first, there's the whole um, antidex campaign that's running rampant on here. what's the point in being down on dxm? yeah, you can buy it at any pharmacy. so what? it's still highly psychoactive and extremely dissociative at higher doses. trust me on this one. or, just trust anybody who has had a high level trip.
as for the thing about feeling dirty the next day, that's an individual thing, i think. not once have i had the feeling that dexing was dirty. every time i do it, i get new insight on something that just blows my mind. on this note, andx, 500mg is nothing. 500mg makes me bouncy and i consider that a medium dose at best. try a gram sometime. you'll reconsider its value as a "real drug." a gram of dex would put you beyond outer space, more than likely. but, hey, what do i know, right?
anyway, back to damian's original post. i wouldn't buy anything that had guafinnesin in it. it'll make you puke your guts up, which isn't good for getting the dxm into your system. try going to rite aid, walgreens, cvs, or any other pharmacy and look for generic tussin max strength cough. it's quite a bit cheaper than robo (8oz of generitussin is only a buck more than 4oz of robo). and, like flag said, start out low. read william white's faq on erowid if you haven't already. it'll give you a good idea of what to expect. don't expect the lower doses to be anything spectacular, because they're not (personal opinion). but once you start hitting the doses where you lie down and everything falls apart around you and you're left to rebuild reality, that's when it gets fun. real fun.
and something else. you can ignore any of the negative posts about dxm in this forum. going back to flag again, it's just the people being close-minded. but, only 1/3 of the population, according to the faq, enjoys a dxm trip. the people who post negatively about it do so because they didn't enjoy it, or it didn't get them as messed up as they wanted it to. doesn't give them any right to condemn others for using it or wanting to try.
good luck with your first try, but get something besides dm, cuz it's trash with guafinnesin in it. and whatever you do, stay away from coricidin. hate to see people die from od'ing on the other stuff. nyquil's bad, too. has acetaminophen in it, and it only takes 4g to be fatal. anyway, good luck again kid, and be sure to post a report when you try.