• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Film Recommendations v6 - Nominated five times

Not the best acting nor the best film out there but it's got something nitty gritty about it that I rewatched it for the fourth time now.

Not the best acting nor the best film out there but it's got something nitty gritty about it that I rewatched it for the fourth time now.

Video unavailable
This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Just watched Threads, surprised I'd not seen it before. if you haven't seen it before, give it a watch. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads_(1984_film)

I know this post is an antique but for someone who deliberately avoids this thread most of the time due to my excessive fan boy love of mainstream cinema, having continuously kept myself wrapped up in tentpole, often fantasy and / or sci fi high concept Hollywood adventure. Thanks to the indy explosion of the 90's that drove cinema on both sides of the Atlantic, I was lucky enough to have quickly developed a taste for drama that never the less remained extremely narrow due to everything still being in English (the only subtitled film in my life was 'Akira', one of many childhood favourites that only got better as I got older and more conscious of the subtext).

But before I totally go off on one, Threads. As someone who is just old enough to have experienced the last decade of the Cold War, I like many boomers and Gen X'ers developed the concept of a nuclear nightmare at a very young age, primarily through seeing When The Wind Blows and most traumatically, Mick Jackson and Barry Hines Threads, a BBC TV movie that expanding on the corporations 1966 drama The War Game, a dramatised public service piece that was considered so horrific and bleak it never saw airtime until 1985, a year after the more modern and devastatingly naturalistic Threads had permanently scarred my childhood.

Similar in spirit to Schindlers List it is an essential film that is impossible to recommend but undeniably a masterpiece. And the great thing is that despite the end of the Cold War the general threat is as real as ever.

If you liked Threads Stee, check out Survivors (original bbc series not the remake, although the remake is just as good if not a bit modern)!

Watched Robert Eggers The Northman this morning. It is unbelievably beautiful and fucked up and possibly the best 2022 film I have seen yet...

and...

Last edited:
I watched this the other night, and it's the most unusual list of obscure and disturbing movie recommendations that I have ever seen. . I'm guessing that the guy who made the video is either a film student or a film maker himself, as he's very knowledageble on the subject. There are none of the usual contendors that you normally see in lists like this. Apart from the first one "Baby" which looks pretty absurd and dumb, the rest look interesting. The animated "Wolf house" with the woman in a cabin in the woods, being stalked by wolves, whilst looking after pigs in the cabin that morph into children as she gradually loses her mind, looks to be very well done.

Not sure where I'd be able to find these movies though. They are definitely NOT your usual Netflix fare. But where there is a will there is a way.

I don't think I'd be able to stand "Plague Dogs", an animated film from the animals perspective about them being used as lab test subjects and then escaping and being hunted down. It looks like it would affect me too much with that subject matter and the way it has been done it would be too upsetting. I have read the book decades ago and it was very good.

I'd have put A Serbian Film on my list. That really freaked me out due to the very disturbing subject matter. Along with The Grudge and Dark Water (the original Japanese versions in both cases, although the Hollywood remakes of both movies were also very good, they are such eerie and chilling ghost movies)

Last edited:
I really recommend 'No Surrender'. Alan Bleasdale (Boys from the Blackstuff). A film that addresses the human condition in a sensitive and fucking funny way, that looks at something that should be almost impossible (Sectarianism & terrorism, from N. Ireland). You will laugh and be moved in a heartfelt way. Probably my favourite film (along with 'Contact'). Alan Bleasdale should be knighted for his writing.
Total fucking class...

I know this post is an antique but for someone who deliberately avoids this thread most of the time due to my excessive fan boy love of mainstream cinema, having continuously kept myself wrapped up in tentpole, often fantasy and / or sci fi high concept Hollywood adventure. Thanks to the indy explosion of the 90's that drove cinema on both sides of the Atlantic, I was lucky enough to have quickly developed a taste for drama that never the less remained extremely narrow due to everything still being in English (the only subtitled film in my life was 'Akira', one of many childhood favourites that only got better as I got older and more conscious of the subtext).

But before I totally go off on one, Threads. As someone who is just old enough to have experienced the last decade of the Cold War, I like many boomers and Gen X'ers developed the concept of a nuclear nightmare at a very young age, primarily through seeing When The Wind Blows and most traumatically, Mick Jackson and Barry Hines Threads, a BBC TV movie that expanding on the corporations 1966 drama The War Game, a dramatised public service piece that was considered so horrific and bleak it never saw airtime until 1985, a year after the more modern and devastatingly naturalistic Threads had permanently scarred my childhood.

Similar in spirit to Schindlers List it is an essential film that is impossible to recommend but undeniably a masterpiece. And the great thing is that despite the end of the Cold War the general threat is as real as ever.
My mate saw Threads while on mushrooms and it really scarred him. I shared a flat with him, that was in Birtley (NE England), as it had an ROF factory situated nnearby and was apparently targeted with a 1 megaton nuke (in WW2, the Luftwaffe desperately tried to bomb it). I was just stoned and it scared the shit out of me. I can only imagine how distressing for people who actually lived in Sheffield. Dr. Srangelove was perfect satire, but Threads was just terrifying.

Sheherezade is a French film on Netflix about a young pimp growing up. I loved it.

Wilde, (currently available on i-player) with Stephen Fry playing the title role of Oscar. Such perfect casting that Fry scarcely need to act at all.

It seemed to start off a bit twee and schmaltzy but I was soon drawn in and engaged.

I was already familiar with many of the broader details of Wilde's life, but the film really fleshed out the story and brought the whole thing to vivid life.

I've read Dorian Gray twice, It's definitely due for another re-read very soon. I had tended to think that Wilde was an immoral, corrupt, and wicked character like the protagonist in the book, but this is apparently not so, quite the opposite in fact.

In the final years of the 1800s after his sentencing to 2 years hard labour, and hearing that he would no longer be accepted by anyone in "society" Wilde was lamenting many things, including that no one would ever read his books or plays any more.

It is just and gratifying that he wrong wrong about that, and books like "Dorian Gray" are still regarded as amongst the very best books every written, well over a hundred years later. Likely to remain so too. Such an accessible, stimulating, witty, and fantastically well written book.

Last edited:

I though this was fucking awesome. I've already watched it twice.

There is another fantastic new (2022) war film on Netflix, a Dutch effort set during the liberation of Zeeland in 1944 called 'The Mud on the Schelde (The Forgotten Battle)'...

'All Quiet' was IMO a modern masterpiece tho styl - its almost Kubrickian in its technical perfection and it perfectly sums up the waste of life that was The Great War (may they never be forgotten xxx)

Kinda tosh, historically quite accurate though.

I though this was fucking awesome. I've already watched it twice.

There is another fantastic new (2022) war film on Netflix, a Dutch effort set during the liberation of Zeeland in 1944 called 'The Mud on the Schelde (The Forgotten Battle)'...

'All Quiet' was IMO a modern masterpiece tho styl - its almost Kubrickian in its technical perfection and it perfectly sums up the waste of life that was The Great War (may they never be forgotten xxx)

See my post above ;).