• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Excessive hyperactivity and agitation on opiates

washingtonbound

Bluelighter
I've observed that every time I take opiates (doesn't particularly matter what kind, oxy, dilaudid, etc), I become hyperactive to a bizarre degree where I feel like I'm cracked out on a strong stimulant. There is some euphoria, but not really enough to write home about. The issue is that on top of this hyperactivity, I become agitated to the point where one bad comment from someone sends me flying off the handle. Everybody pisses me off and I parade around in circles itching and looking like a weirdo. I've had many interactions that were rather embarrassing as a result of this. For instance, when I was on vacation in Colombia (percocet is otc there), I began walking around saluting everyone I saw in a military or police uniform. Really rather manic behavior. When my friend commented that I was acting like a moron, I bit his head off. This is just one example but there are many others.

Anyone else have similar effects? I never understood the concept of a pleasant sedated nod from opiates. Maybe my brain chemistry is just off.

I've observed that every time I take opiates (doesn't particularly matter what kind, oxy, dilaudid, etc), I become hyperactive to a bizarre degree where I feel like I'm cracked out on a strong stimulant. There is some euphoria, but not really enough to write home about. The issue is that on top of this hyperactivity, I become agitated to the point where one bad comment from someone sends me flying off the handle. Everybody pisses me off and I parade around in circles itching and looking like a weirdo. I've had many interactions that were rather embarrassing as a result of this. For instance, when I was on vacation in Colombia (percocet is otc there), I began walking around saluting everyone I saw in a military or police uniform. Really rather manic behavior. When my friend commented that I was acting like a moron, I bit his head off. This is just one example but there are many others.

Anyone else have similar effects? I never understood the concept of a pleasant sedated nod from opiates. Maybe my brain chemistry is just off.

I find oxies a bit stimulating but at higher doses (say 40mg) I go on the nod. The effect you're getting sounds like meth. But the brain chemistry being "off" is a real thing in my experience eg. Weed has always given me anxiety and Lyrica (pregabalin) gives me an unpleasant psychedelic effect, whereas other people find them relaxing and enjoyable.

I find oxies a bit stimulating but at higher doses (say 40mg) I go on the nod. The effect you're getting sounds like meth. But the brain chemistry being "off" is a real thing in my experience eg. Weed has always given me anxiety and Lyrica (pregabalin) gives me an unpleasant psychedelic effect, whereas other people find them relaxing and enjoyable.
I have heard some people say that they get a bit hyper on opiates but some seem to just get chilled out. I recall taking 50mg Percocet once and I threw up everywhere, definitely wasn’t a nod. Only time I remotely felt on the nod was when I combined it with weed

I have heard some people say that they get a bit hyper on opiates but some seem to just get chilled out. I recall taking 50mg Percocet once and I threw up everywhere, definitely wasn’t a nod. Only time I remotely felt on the nod was when I combined it with weed

How much oxy have you taken? That's the only opiate I've had much experience with. I have been sick on one but can't remember what it was.

How much oxy have you taken? That's the only opiate I've had much experience with. I have been sick on one but can't remember what it was.
Well I've taken percocet (hydrocodone), dilaudid and I snorted heroin a couple times. Each situation with heroin resulted in me projectile vomiting rather severely, which I presume may have been the result of fentanyl. I've not taken a crazy amount of percocet, but my little incident with 50mg was enough to deter me from playing with such a dose in the future.

Morphine and real heroin are more sedating opiates. The ones u talking about are less sedating and oxy for example I'd even say quite speedy/stimulating as said above. Stay from opiates anyway man, the negative impact they have on ur life far outweigh the lil euphoria they provide you. Only take em if you're really in moderate to severe pain.

Dillaudid makes me irritable while other opioids make me relaxed and energized. I don’t know why.

could be serotonin syndrome, are you taking any other medications?

beginning of serotonin syndrome includes agitation (can be extreme), increased heart rate, blood pressure, cognitive changes/confusion, akathisia, etc etc... low level serotonin syndrome may mimic a stimulant like effect if you are unfamiliar with it, aka "cracked out". This can be particularly dangerous if opioids are causing it, some people will take more opioids trying to counteract these symptoms to calm down which will only make it worse.

To me it sounds like you're probably describing SS more than casual/normal opioid stimulation

certain opioids can cause SS by themselves, although it's most common when opioids are combined with SSRI/SNRI or other medications like APs

although some people do have paradoxical reactions to drugs, for example certain benzos will make me feel irritable, manic and stimulated

could be serotonin syndrome, are you taking any other medications?

beginning of serotonin syndrome includes agitation (can be extreme), increased heart rate, blood pressure, cognitive changes/confusion, akathisia, etc etc... low level serotonin syndrome may mimic a stimulant like effect if you are unfamiliar with it, aka "cracked out". This can be particularly dangerous if opioids are causing it, some people will take more opioids trying to counteract these symptoms to calm down which will only make it worse.

To me it sounds like you're probably describing SS more than casual/normal opioid stimulation

certain opioids can cause SS by themselves, although it's most common when opioids are combined with SSRI/SNRI or other medications like APs

although some people do have paradoxical reactions to drugs, for example certain benzos will make me feel irritable, manic and stimulated
Hmm not sure If serotonin syndrome is it. And there have been other times I’ve taken it by itself and still been cracked out as hell. Might just be my brain chemistry.

I get occasional bouts of agitation on opiates, but it always passes very quickly. Other than that, they make me feel good, chill, happy, comfortable.

Opiates and pissy bitch attitude go hand in hand, that was always known amongst the people I hung with. It was paradoxical in that you feel so good yet get irritated so easily. My first time doing oxy I went OFF on my friends cuz they were being drunk and dumb, like screaming n shit which is totally not me.

Over time though they kinda stopped doing that.

I also get the stimulation though too, even to this day on bupe. Buprenorphine to me is better than any traditional stimulant out there for going long hours at whatever, whether it’s work or having fun. Oxycodone and H would have me acting like I was high on meth truly, I’d be cleaning the house, working two jobs 9am to 1am, doing shit that I probably couldn’t have done otherwise.

Was worth it? That’s to be determined. I always question how life would be without opiates and it’s been so long I just don’t even know anymore.

-GC