News FDA Advances Ban on Menthol Cigarettes

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter

FDA Advances Ban on Menthol Cigarettes​

Jennifer Maloney
Wall Street Journal
28 Apr 2022

Excerpt:
The Biden administration proposed a national ban on menthol cigarettes, advancing a regulatory plan that could sweep from the market more than a third of all cigarettes sold in the U.S. The products represent more than $20 billion in annual sales.

The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday published proposed rules laying out the details of the plan. The ban would prohibit the sale of menthol cigarettes and all flavored cigars. The FDA said it is considering allowing exemptions on a case-by-case basis for certain products, such as heated-tobacco devices or cigarettes with very low nicotine levels. The ban wouldn’t affect menthol e-cigarettes.

Full article here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I smoke Kools, and I've noticed that MANY stores don't even carry menthol cigarettes anymore. What's the fucking POINT? If kids want to smoke they'll smoke. Legality doesn't even enter their minds...same with certain drugs, as many Bluelighters can attest to..

Making something illegal and hard to find won't stop ANYONE from getting it.

I smoke Kools, and I've noticed that MANY stores don't even carry menthol cigarettes anymore. What's the fucking POINT? If kids want to smoke they'll smoke. Legality doesn't even enter their minds...same with certain drugs, as many Bluelighters can attest to..

Making something illegal and hard to find won't stop ANYONE from getting it.
They'll get it with something extra to...introducing. fenthol ciggies. Fent + menthol cooling flavor brought to you by Sinaloa Cartel Inc.

I smoke Kools, and I've noticed that MANY stores don't even carry menthol cigarettes anymore.
really? I still see them everywhere

I smoked menthols back when I used to smoke

my favorites were marlboro menthols and parliament full flavor menthols, I liked kools too but they were a little too menthol strong kinda like newports

I hate to agree with the fda, but from my experience as an ex smoker, I never would have smoked as much or as long if it wasn't menthol.
you think you smoked more due to menthol? interesting

I smoked for 15 years, for the first 8-9 years I almost strictly smoked reds, then one day I switched to menthol and got hooked, but it was mainly because I started to dislike the tobacco taste... the regrets of smoking for so long? idk... maybe that's why the FDA is banning it..?

really? I still see them everywhere

I smoked menthols back when I used to smoke

my favorites were marlboro menthols and parliament full flavor menthols, I liked kools too but they were a little too menthol strong kinda like newports
I see them at gas stations and certain smoke shops, but not at most supermarkets.

I recently tried Marlboro Smooth Blue Menthols, and they actually had a sweet aftertaste. It was pretty tasty! I might switch to those. Yeah, Kools are pretty harsh...but DAMN, you can really taste them. Unlike those fucking generic ones I've tried, which have NO taste whatsoever. Might as well try smoking an empty paper tube.

If menthols completely disappeared, I'd probably cut down or just stop smoking. I HATE regular cigarettes.

If menthols completely disappeared, I'd probably cut down or just stop smoking. I HATE regular cigarettes.
I made the switch to vaping 5 or so years ago using menthol vape juice and it's honestly one of the best decisions I've ever made

I'm still hopelessly addicted to nicotine... don't get me wrong, but my lungs feel absolutely fine, no cough, I don't reek like tobacco every day, my house is clean. I run like 12 miles per week and can breathe fine, unlike when I smoked.

Smoked a pack a day for 15 years and the switch to vaping honestly wasn't that difficult at all. Vaping is a stronger buzz with high nic %, but less euphoric at the same time. But it was easy.

I made the switch to vaping 5 or so years ago using menthol vape juice and it's honestly one of the best decisions I've ever made

I'm still hopelessly addicted to nicotine... don't get me wrong, but my lungs feel absolutely fine, no cough, I don't reek like tobacco every day, my house is clean. I run like 12 miles per week and can breathe fine, unlike when I smoked.

Smoked a pack a day for 15 years and the switch to vaping honestly wasn't that difficult at all. Vaping is a stronger buzz with high nic %, but less euphoric at the same time. But it was easy.
I've been curious about vaping for a couple years. Is it less expensive than cigarettes? I smoke a pack a day, and the expense is KILLING me. $10 a pack. Fml

I've been curious about vaping for a couple years. Is it less expensive than cigarettes? I smoke a pack a day, and the expense is KILLING me. $10 a pack. Fml
yes, it's significantly less costly than a pack a day

I honestly don't even calculate it into budget anymore... I spend maybe $40/month on it vs $300

it has an upfront cost of the vape/coils, but after that it's so much cheaper

a decent vape, 3 months worth of coils and a month of juice costs probably $100, not much more than a carton

once you have the hardware juice is pretty cheap, I go through maybe 40ml per month which is like $20-30

I highly suggest nicotine vape setup, it mimics cigs much more than the oldschool freebase nicotine

yes, it's significantly less costly than a pack a day

I honestly don't even calculate it into budget anymore... I spend maybe $40/month on it vs $300

it has an upfront cost of the vape/coils, but after that it's so much cheaper

a decent vape, 3 months worth of coils and a month of juice costs probably $100, not much more than a carton

once you have the hardware juice is pretty cheap, I go through maybe 40ml per month which is like $20-30

I highly suggest nicotine vape setup, it mimics cigs much more than the oldschool freebase nicotine
Okay, I'm DEFINITELY doing that. I just can't afford cigarettes, honestly. And I'm tired of my fingers smelling like nicotine ALL THE TIME no matter how much I wash my hands.

I smoke so much, the walls in my tv room have a yellow tinge to them. I don't even enjoy that much...it's just a habit.

I smoke so much, the walls in my tv room have a yellow tinge to them.
yeah man fuck that shit

I worked in IT and long time smoker's computers were so disgusting to work on honestly, only something you'd see when you take apart a computer. Normal computers have dust. Smokers computers have this brown wet dust film which stinks up the whole shsop. Really makes you think what it does to your lungs.

I used to chain smoke in my apartment and my cat had to inhale all of that shit. He hated it, I could tell.

anyways, I'm all about vaping now

doesn't seem to do any damage to my lungs, nobody ever smells it (I vape on planes and shit), and it's way cheaper

yeah man fuck that shit

I worked in IT and long time smoker's computers were so disgusting to work on honestly, only something you'd see when you take apart a computer. Normal computers have dust. Smokers computers have this brown wet dust film which stinks up the whole shop. Really makes you think what it does to your lungs.

I used to chain smoke in my apartment and my cat had to inhale all of that shit. He hated it, I could tell.

anyways, I'm all about vaping now

doesn't seem to do any damage to my lungs, nobody ever smells it (I vape on planes and shit), and it's way cheaper
For some reason, it's comforting. I chain smoke out of habit. Many times I don't even WANT a cigarette, I just find myself grabbing one. Especially if I'm drinking coffee. Cigarettes and hazelnut coffee...I'd take hostages for that shit. 😅 Best combo EVER.
That's nothing

Where I live smokes are $17-22 a pack
Fuck THAT. Holy shit.

Last edited:
even if not intended to do so, this is another example of the war on drugs being used to systematically harm black people.

eric garner was killed over selling loosies. folks will likely have to smuggle menthols into the US if their sale is banned. another excuse for cops to abuse their power !