• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News FDA Advances Ban on Menthol Cigarettes

Well Newport got sued once for going around poor black neighborhoods and handing out their cigarettes

but yeah, stupid

I mean, smoking continues to decrease. Is it really that big of an issue anymore? I rarely see smokers in public now.

o_O why?

they consider it a "flavor" to attract kids?

(I can't read the article)
May be FDA considered it’s pharmacological adverse effects.
Personal thinking.
Whatever, I never smoke Cigs flavoured with Menthol. 🙂

Whatever, I never smoke Cigs flavoured with Menthol. 🙂
I smoked menthols when I was 14.
Ever since, non-menthols. Usually non-filtered.
I don't like fruity/candy-flavored vapes, either. My vape preference is "Gold Leaf."

If you look at modern medical science.. not in a business sense as they have certainly crushed that.. but thats probably because medical interests don't fit well in a free market set up. But big picture they briefly extended average life, which covid negated in a second. Even though they extended life they didn't really make the extended period enjoyable. So they have prolonged misery to a large degree. In the US they are the number one cause of bankruptcy, the number five cause of unnatural death with medical error and the number one root of unnatural death with the opiate crisis. Its a deadly shit show and I have come to the conclusion that I couldn't give two shits what they think.

Last edited:
My understanding is that around the 1960s when the tobacco companies started creating targeted advertising towards black people, they heavily marketed menthol cigarettes as "hip and modern" and "urban". That's how the divide started. The more the advertising worked with blacks, it drove most whites away, and they were happy to stick with their white picket fence suburban non-exotic non-hippy cigs.

AIFgKoV.jpg
Those are magazine ads from the mid-late 1970s and 1980s for black American magazines such as Jet, Ebony, etc. Cigarette ads were banned from TV and radio, in the very early 1970s, but not in magazines or newspapers. It is not about hippies vs the establishment, urban vs rural, etc. I am not sure what you mean by non-exotic cigarettes? Menthol cigarettes were never seen as being exotic, or foreign, or for hippies? I have seen more white people smoke foreign brands of cigarettes than non-whites or blacks.

In the 1950s and very early 1960s menthol cigarettes were marketed or claimed to be more "healthy" than non-menthol, and doctors would tell people to not smoke the same types/brands of cigarettes and to change brands often. For example, my dad first started smoking before most cigarettes had filters and smoked Lucky Strike and Camel no-filter, then when filters were added and were claimed to be "healthy" or with less tar, he switched to filtered kools, Merit, marlboro, and then L&M as those were "Light and Mild" and he completely quit in 1971.

Oh...was thinking this would be because the menthol in them crystallizes in the lungs...not some incredibly stupid stuff about it being a "flavour to entice kids"....oh, yeah, that yummy, yummy menthol flavour that's so popular in candy and soft drinks..
Is that even true? Menthol is in cough drops, cough syrup, types of alcoholic drinks, as a flavoring, in Vick's vapor rub PLUR Kandy kids raving on MDMA would put on their bodies and smell, etc. I remember there was the rumor that Newports and menthol cigs have fiber glass in them that is somehow inhaled with the smoke but this is not true. Menthol cigarettes do numb the throat and lungs, so I guess people smoke more of them?

To get back on topic though, menthol cigarettes have been outlawed in the UK for several years now. There are loopholes of course. Cigars and cigarillos aren't affected. So some manufacturers now wrap their menthol fags in a shitty tobacco leaf so that they quality as cigarillos.

Tbh, I actually agree with the menthol ban. Menthol cigarettes are just a marketing ploy to push their tobacco products on people that otherwise wouldn't use them. I don't include myself in this - I hate that menthol shit. I like my tobacco to taste of tobacco...
It is funny you mention this. I smoked camel milds daily in Spain decades ago while traveling there for 2-3 weeks on a class trip, and when I went back to the USA, I bought Camel lights, and tried other brands when drunk or stoned at parties or concerts and they tasted and smelled different. I always thought Marlboro gold or mild smelled like raisins, cereal, or sugar so I never smoked those. I never smoked daily as it was too expensive and at the time I was living with family and trying to keep it hidden, and I was more into smoking hashish and marijuana as much as possible.

Is that even true? Menthol is in cough drops, cough syrup, types of alcoholic drinks, as a flavoring, in Vick's vapor rub PLUR Kandy kids raving on MDMA would put on their bodies and smell, etc. I remember there was the rumor that Newports and menthol cigs have fiber glass in them that is somehow inhaled with the smoke but this is not true. Menthol cigarettes do numb the throat and lungs, so I guess people smoke more of them?

Yes but you don't literally inhale it deep into your lungs in any of those products, except vicks type vaporubs and that's just vapors. I'm not 100% positive, though, I'll look it up (pretty sure it's true, but I probably should have fact-checked before I posted).

Exactly. There weren't any societal problems when your DOC was readily and cheaply available from your corner chemists shop. This all changed with alcohol prohibition. Recreational use of other substances skyrocketed, then when prohibition was repealed, racist cunts such as Harry Anslinger suddenly finding themselves out of a job, used the whole reefer madness bollocks to demonise blacks especially, and drugs in general.
Well first they had it in for opium smoking, which they termed 'the Chinese vice', and it was motivated by racism. As in those Chinamen lure our pure white women into their dissolute opium dens...

Next up cocaine because it turns the negroes into sex maniacs and they'll rape our pure white women... Next up marihuana because those Mexicans use it and it makes them rape our pure white women... Basically that.

And the alcohol prohibition created the very criminal cartels who now distribute drugs instead of bootleg booze.

Well first they had it in for opium smoking, which they termed 'the Chinese vice', and it was motivated by racism. As in those Chinamen lure our pure white women into their dissolute opium dens...

Next up cocaine because it turns the negroes into sex maniacs and they'll rape our pure white women... Next up marihuana because those Mexicans use it and it makes them rape our pure white women... Basically that.

And the alcohol prohibition created the very criminal cartels who now distribute drugs instead of bootleg booze.
indeed, drugs have been used to criminalize specific groups of minorities in the US for 100 years now

indeed, drugs have been used to criminalize specific groups of minorities in the US for 100 years now
Also, notice how if a white upper middle class businessman snorts some coke and gets caught out, he gets a slap on the wrist and a fine. A black lower class guy caught smoking some crack -? Instant jail sentence.

As of June 23, 2022 the FDA has enacted a ban on all existing JUUL products in the US including devices and pods. The order is only to stop the distribution, importation, and sale of these products. End-users remain unaffected and will not have their use or possession restricted. On July 5, 2022 the FDA has issued an additional order that temporarily suspended the above ban until further information is gathered. So far, the FDA has authorized 23 ENDS (Electronic Nicotine Delivery System) products. And any company that would like their product to be authorized must go through the PMTA process (Premarket Tobacco Product Application).

I'm not racist or anything, I'm just intrigued. Why do most black smokers like newport menthols? Xd just curious, btw menthol cigs are shit. I love camel, American spirit and Marlboro red 👌
P.S, I've finally succeeded in quitting cigs. 50 days clean today 🤙😝🥰

I'm not racist or anything, I'm just intrigued. Why do most black smokers like newport menthols? Xd just curious, btw menthol cigs are shit. I love camel, American spirit and Marlboro red 👌
There is a stigma around menthol that only black smokers like them, but in actuality more white people smoke menthols than black. Here is a fascinating video I found the other day that you may be interested in.

Because menthol cigarettes were initially marketed heavily to African Americans, and it just stuck as a cultural thing. I smoke menthols personally. Maverick 100s usually, but Marlboros if I got some money.

There is a stigma around menthol that only black smokers like them, but in actuality more white people smoke menthols than black. Here is a fascinating video I found the other day that you may be interested in.
Nice! @deficiT I didn't know that, thank you for the info guys. :)

Never understood why folks like menthol smokes but making them illegal is against Liberty. Aren’t the menthol flavoring in cigarettes all in the filters?