• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Fentanyl to methadone

Fleischfresser?

Bluelighter
I need education ,I'm sorry if this is wrong thread but couldn't quite find a thread like mine ,I'm a 61 yr old that have been on fentynal for 17 plus yrs, for spine issues in the last couple yrs my patch was lower to 25 McG every 72 hrs,and this is where my ignorance nailed me,I was disgusted that I lay in bed all day feeling like a stone,not doing to much but caring for my parrot and cat,the house was a shambles and me ashamed,so I started putting on a new patch before the old ran out,and wow I thought I was on to something,like a fool,I figured case long as I didn't go to the streets looking I was fine anyway as you probably figured out,I started needed more,so I would cut a strip of and leave it my inner cheek,I knew then I was no longer a patient but a addict,now all hell has broken loose,my last visit for refill they checked my urine and found the marijuana,inside I think I knew I had to get off and I'm not strong enough to go through the hellish experience,tried once and I was 16 days in and still ducker then a dog,so tomorrow I'm going to the methadone clinic,feeling like a failure due to the stigma involved,but I gotta do it ,my question is ,will methadone stop the withdrawals and help with my spine? Thankyou for any thoughts and sorry again for the length.

yep, it's a potent opioid. you should be able to achieve withdrawal relief, i'm not sure if they will up your dose to compensate for the pain stuff. might need pain management for that that works w methadone patients? I haven't gone that route, so i can't say.

Thankyou, I'm so nervous which I am sure doest help,so many horror stories online and the information gathered is so mixed not sure how to feel,my appt is at 6:00am today,I guess the appt lasts like four hours,which is disturbing at best,then I hear horror stories of side effects and on and on ,I so wish someone could help walk me through this,I feel like a child again when it comes to this,

If someone has the guts and the will to get off opiates I swear if they can get one or two doses of methadone, wait till they are sick and take them, then switch to something like pregabalin or gabapentin. One of the easiset heroin kicks I had was when I did this. I stopped heroin, waited till I was sick about a day, then drank 50 mgs of methadone. Then after that wore off slowly in a day took a few codeines. I was better in 10 days.

Methadone is safer than fentanyl OP. If you have family and friends that care about you it is a good move. The quickest you get off of it the better. Or for some diehards staying on is a choice. 61 and on opiates for 17 years? The above method is too short for you. So either kratom or methadone or bupe are options. Kratom will be too weak until you get rid of tolerance. I have never had bupe but was on methadon 3 times total in all my years. And now it has been 30 years since. I think those are the only choices. You seem hardcore enough.

What you do is make a decision. Then stand by that decision. You make the decision you made the right decision by standing by it. Otherwise we can dilly dally a long time.

I think you need to sort out whether it’s addiction or pain that was driving your use of fentanyl. Was your pain controlled by the fentanyl before you started adding on more patches?
Methadone is a potent opioid, you should get decent pain coverage once your dose is stabilized. This can take a bit though, depending on how often your doc is willing to up your dose. At the clinic I go to for suboxone they will only increase your dose every 3 days.
How much fentanyl were you dependant on before you got cut off?
Good for you for straightening your shit out though. It’s tough as fuck but I tell myself it’s worth it lol.

That's the problem no way to get a hold of it ,I have never bought off the street,I messed up big time and all I can think of is I'm in for hell,they gave me 30 mg of methadone and every three days I will be increased by 10,I have gabapentin 600 mg that I take 4 a day ,so I'm in big trouble aren't i,I feel the chills already,and I have no support,cuz I lied,just told husband that I was gonna do this cuz they are gonna boot me off my patches,I have three patches left and am considering cutting of a small strip and try to keep this at bay ,to boot I will have to go in every day sick as shit,and probably bent over from the back pain I'm already in,I really , really put myself into the fire😞

I think you need to sort out whether it’s addiction or pain that was driving your use of fentanyl. Was your pain controlled by the fentanyl before you started adding on more patches?
Methadone is a potent opioid, you should get decent pain coverage once your dose is stabilized. This can take a bit though, depending on how often your doc is willing to up your dose. At the clinic I go to for suboxone they will only increase your dose every 3 days.
How much fentanyl were you dependant on before you got cut off?
Good for you for straightening your shit out though. It’s tough as fuck but I tell myself it’s worth it lol.
It was the pain,at 50 mcl I was doing great,then the hospital switched over,and all the older doctors retired including mine then the rules changed and I had to be seen by the pain clinic which immediately dropped the dosage to 25mcl,that's when I started my bullshit ,it was pain at first that drove me,but the raw truth is I liked the feeling and the energy,and I started slicing off pieces,I can only wonder what amount of methadone is gonna cover it😞

If someone has the guts and the will to get off opiates I swear if they can get one or two doses of methadone, wait till they are sick and take them, then switch to something like pregabalin or gabapentin. One of the easiset heroin kicks I had was when I did this. I stopped heroin, waited till I was sick about a day, then drank 50 mgs of methadone. Then after that wore off slowly in a day took a few codeines. I was better in 10 days.

Methadone is safer than fentanyl OP. If you have family and friends that care about you it is a good move. The quickest you get off of it the better. Or for some diehards staying on is a choice. 61 and on opiates for 17 years? The above method is too short for you. So either kratom or methadone or bupe are options. Kratom will be too weak until you get rid of tolerance. I have never had bupe but was on methadon 3 times total in all my years. And now it has been 30 years forgot the biggest thing ,. I think those are the only choices. You seem hardcore enough.

What you do is make a decision. Then stand by that decision. You make the decision you made the right decision by standing by it. Otherwise we can dilly dally all day.

z
I posted wrong,and congratulations on the 30 yrs
Oh I don't have 30 years free of opiates. I just learned how to use in a smarter fashion. But it has been 32 years since my last methadone clinic. I know how stubborn I am. I went from heroin, to poppy pods to kratom. I did have a few opiate free years. I am healthiest on kratom although in the process of cutting back more. I am glad kratom worked for me. I have a few friends who thought it was not strong enough though. To me it is.

I am 58. so no illusions of totally getting clean as we all have our cross to bear.

That's the problem no way to get a hold of it ,I have never bought off the street,I messed up big time and all I can think of is I'm in for hell,they gave me 30 mg of methadone and every three days I will be increased by 10,I have gabapentin 600 mg that I take 4 a day ,so I'm in big trouble aren't i,I feel the chills already,and I have no support,cuz I lied,just told husband that I was gonna do this cuz they are gonna boot me off my patches,I have three patches left and am considering cutting of a small strip and try to keep this at bay ,to boot I will have to go in every day sick as shit,and probably bent over from the back pain I'm already in,I really , really put myself into the fire😞
Hello,
This isn’t as bad as you think. Fentanyl 50mch/hour is about 120 MME (morphine milligrams equivalents per day. So I would expect methadone 40-50mg (120MME-150MME) to provide the coverage you need for pain management. As far as liking the energy, boost etc you got from opioids…I mean welcome to the fucking club. But I don’t think this this necessarily means you are an “addict”. Get the methadone you need for pain coverage and see how things go. Take it consistently for a month, try not to fuck around with other substances during this time and reassess your situation in a month. I hope this helps a bit and let me know if you have any questions.

I reread and looked up the kraden you mentioned guess that isn't no street drug my mistake,I'm really very uneducated when it comes to these things
Hello,
This isn’t as bad as you think. Fentanyl 50mch/hour is about 120 MME (morphine milligrams equivalents per day. So I would expect methadone 40-50mg (120MME-150MME) to provide the coverage you need for pain management. As far as liking the energy, boost etc you got from opioids…I mean welcome to the fucking club. But I don’t think this this necessarily means you are an “addict”. Get the methadone you need for pain coverage and see how things go. Take it consistently for a month, try not to fuck around with other substances during this time and reassess your situation in a month. I hope this helps a bit and let me know if you have any questions.

Hello,
This isn’t as bad as you think. Fentanyl 50mch/hour is about 120 MME (morphine milligrams equivalents per day. So I would expect methadone 40-50mg (120MME-150MME) to provide the coverage you need for pain management. As far as liking the energy, boost etc you got from opioids…I mean welcome to the fucking club. But I don’t think this this necessarily means you are an “addict”. Get the methadone you need for pain coverage and see how things go. Take it consistently for a month, try not to fuck around with other substances during this time and reassess your situation in a month. I hope this helps a bit and let me know if you have any questionsi do have one

I reread and looked up the kraden you mentioned guess that isn't no street drug my mistake,I'm really very uneducated when it comes to these things
Hello,

Hello,
This isn’t as bad as you think. Fentanyl 50mch/hour is about 120 MME (morphine milligrams equivalents per day. So I would expect methadone 40-50mg (120MME-150MME) to provide the coverage you need for pain management. As far as liking the energy, boost etc you got from opioids…I mean welcome to the fucking club. But I don’t think this this necessarily means you are an “addict”. Get the methadone you need for pain coverage and see how things go. Take it consistently for a month, try not to fuck around with other substances during this time and reassess your situation in a month. I hope this helps a bit and let me know if you have any questions
Hello,
This isn’t as bad as you think. Fentanyl 50mch/hour is about 120 MME (morphine milligrams equivalents per day. So I would expect methadone 40-50mg (120MME-150MME) to provide the coverage you need for pain management. As far as liking the energy, boost etc you got from opioids…I mean welcome to the fucking club. But I don’t think this this necessarily means you are an “addict”. Get the methadone you need for pain coverage and see how things go. Take it consistently for a month, try not to fuck around with other substances during this time and reassess your situation in a month. I hope this helps a bit and let me know if you have any questio

Is sleeping a done deal? I know I will find out on my own,but I heard that all I will do is sleep,where as what I have read is forget about it,no sleep in the future.Dosnt all opiates make you sleepy?

I'm hurting,I haven't gotten off the fentynal yet,cuz of it,I'm not sure how to think,I'm thinking I got to manage so I better manage,taking aspirin,I'm down to two patches then that's it😔my son keeps saying when I get up to right amount of methadone, everything will be alright,??? So many mixed messages on line,😔

If you don't mind my asking,what are your pain issues from?I am still thinking faster then my fingers, anxiety and doubt are flooding my mind nasty little bombs.

I'm

Methadone is safer than fentanyl OP. If you have family and friends that care about you it is a good move. The quickest you get off of it the better. Or for some diehards staying on is a choice. 61 and on opiates for 17 years? The above method is too short for you. So either kratom or methadone or bupe are options. Kratom will be too weak until you get rid of tolerance. I have never had bupe but was on methadon 3 times total in all my years. And now it has been 30 years since. I think those are the only choices. You seem hardcore enough.

What you do is make a decision. Then stand by that decision. You make the decision you made the right decision by standing by it. Otherwise we can dilly dally a long time.

z

Oh I don't have 30 years free of opiates. I just learned how to use in a smarter fashion. But it has been 32 years since my last methadone clinic. I know how stubborn I am. I went from heroin, to poppy pods to kratom. I did have a few opiate free years. I am healthiest on kratom although in the process of cutting back more. I am glad kratom worked for me. I have a few friends who thought it was not strong enough though. To me it is.

I am 58. so no illusions of totally getting clean as we all have our cross to bear.

Could you put please explain about kratom,I know it's a herb,but where do u get it?I mean,is it a health food store thing?or something u need a connection for?

*note it looks like i wrote this reply early on but never pressed "post reply"

It will stop all the withdrawal.

They will almost definitely start you on 30mg/day. You will need it raised from there. They probably won't allow you multiple doses a day at first but split dosing is best for pain. Methadone suppresses withdrawal for much longer than it suppresses the pain. This means that while it might keep you out of withdrawal for 24 hours, it won't kill reduce pain for nearly as long. Minimum 2x a day dosing would be best. For someone like you, my guess is that a final maintenance/pain-killing dose would be somewhere in the 20-30mg every 8 hours. By final i mean, after a period of slow adjustments.

There is a stigma unfortunately, and methadone is made unnecessarily difficult to get but hopefully it will work.

The problem in your situation is the dosing unfortunately. Try to communicate early on to them that you are a chronic pain patient and that you understand that methadone is better split into multiple doses.