• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

For all you opiate users here : Top tips on handling withdrawal?

Can you bring your Self down on benzodiazepines little by little
You mean taper down in order to quit benzos?? Yes it's definitely feasible. It's tough work though.
Yes, and I have done it but it is indeed tough work and I had to taper VERY slowly. Of course the lower the dose you're on to begin with, the easier it will be.

So, I've been through that more times than I care to remember ; sometimes out of necessity and sometimes from choice.

I was always wondering why going through wd's freaked me the shit out so much when I have experienced actual illness that was worse.

Example, I've been ill with the flu as a boy, by which I don't mean a severe cold (like the term is so often used), but the real influenza which can kill you. I was bedridden for a full 6 weeks, and apart from the involuntary muscle twitches and the restlessness (I felt more steamrollered), I had every symptom you' ll get in a real bad withdrawal and then some (fever - induced hallucinations, BP so low I was crawling on all fours to the loo to be sick). Another example, acute inflammation of the pancreas, which was the worst 10 days of agony I ever experienced in my life, bar none.

Both OBJECTIVELY worse than any withdrawal I ever had, but SUBJECTIVELY withdrawal seemed like nothing else could ever be this bad.

This got me thinking as to why. Came to the conclusion that it's 2 things.

One, what behavioural science calls 'anticipatory anxiety'. Once you've acquired a (physically dependent) habit, every other user you know will start telling you about how you're gonna have to brace yourself for the total hell this is going to be. You mindlessly panic at the first little sniffle which heralds the onset. Once you've had that funfair ride, next time round you worry even more cause now you know what to expect.

The other factor is the knowledge that instant relief is POSSIBLE, just currently out of your reach.
I compare it to the difference of walking through the desert thirsty knowing it'll be another 2 hrs to reach the nearest water - which is brutal but doable because YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTION but to push through the ordeal ; and spending those same 2 hrs sitting right next to the water that could quench your thirst instantly, only armed guards are keeping you from getting to it. Knowing there's the option ; THAT'S what makes it a torture.

The unbearable gets bearable whenever you know that there's simply no choice but to see it through.
So that one time I decided to take myself off cold, I went camping for a week. Took along electrolytes to offset the loss during the puking and shitting stage, some painkillers and sedatives to take the worst of the edge off, some trail bars which would provide concentrated energy but not be so sickly - sweet that I wouldn't keep 'em down, and a flask of orange juice for some vit C and the refreshing taste.

I went far enough to not have a phone signal, so I couldn't call a dealer under any circumstances, and far enough that even if I was gonna cave and reverse the attempt and start walking back, I wouldn't make it to civilization in the state I'd be in halfway.
In other words, remove myself from any realistic alternative but to just stick it out.

Obviously most people don't live in a vast expanse of countryside and don't have this opportunity to physically distance themselves.
The point however is that what ultimately helped me was that I was forced to adopt the same mental attitude as I would towards any actual sickness : instead of going into a panic and frantically chasing the instant total remedy, just resign myself to the fact that I can maybe alleviate some symptoms but I WILL feel like shit, so just meet what's to come with resigned annoyance.

I was able to recall this mindset on subsequent occasions and it really helped the subjective distress that I felt, despite me being one of those people whose bodies seem to get sensitized to the process and get it worse every time.

... Sorry if this turned out a bit long and hope it's useful to someone.

Thank you for taking the time for me it means a lot right now I feel like am the walking dead don’t look much better

Thank you for taking the time for me it means a lot right now I feel like am the walking dead don’t look much better
Keep on keepin' on. 👍👍
It's doable. It really truly is even if you're not quite there right now.
And yep man withdrawals are tough. Xd
They also don't last forever.
I been through it quite a few times so far. I find it gets to be like a deeply unpleasant routine after a while.

Need someone to talk right now -?
PM me.

Last edited:
When day 4 is over i get a natural high for days ive done it yes im fuckling free then the fucking paws if there were no paws I could be clean that cunt gets me back in the cycle. I do it just for one day day 2 I do a little and i be ok day three its back in the flood again as the late great Layne stayley sang

When day 4 is over i get a natural high for days ive done it yes im fuckling free then the fucking paws if there were no paws I could be clean that cunt gets me back in the cycle. I do it just for one day day 2 I do a little and i be ok day three its back in the flood again as the late great Layne stayley sang
That what people like to do is to hold us down I been taking Medone 190mg for 35 yrs plus doing a 1.2 grams a day then some one put some benzodiazepines in the dope in hell broke lose now am done withe 1.2 grams in down to a crum of benzodiazepines a day next stop is medone

Keep on keepin' on. 👍👍
It's doable. It really truly is even if you're not quite there right now.
And yep man withdrawals are tough. Xd
They also don't last forever.
I been through it quite a few times so far. I find it gets to be like a deeply unpleasant routine after a while.

Need someone to talk right now -?
PM me.
Thank you for taking your time out for me it helps really does ❤️

Bloody hell you even have to ask -??
.. You only SHOULD take yourself down from benzos little by little if you've been on them for any length of time.
Same thing as with alcohol dependence ; the wd from them can be actively life - threatening.
Wow crazy this is no life I been a doing this for 35 years wasted of my life

Wow crazy this is no life I been a doing this for 35 years wasted of my life
if ya got the benzos almost out of the way you should be rejoicing, IMO/E.
No time is wasted. We live, learn and hopefully drop words and actions that help others make more informed/safe decisions in life. We may never see the fruit but there is that ripple effect I believe. Collateral damage goes both ways - it heals and hurts.
Just jumpin in givin an opinion but if this has nothing to do with anything ask me to delete and I will without remorse. ;)

No time is wasted.
I fully agree. I've lived through many addictions and I don't consider those periods of my life as "wasted." (No pun intended)
There were rough times, yes. But also fun times, enriching experiences, and I met a lot of interesting people-- especially in rehab.

Also, one of the things I never liked about 12-Step programs is the way they treat relapse. No matter how long a person is clean/sober, if they use/drink just once they have to pick up a white chip and "start over." Like those weeks/months/years of sobriety count for nothing. Bullshit! For an addict, any amount of clean time is a huge accomplishment.

I fully agree. I've lived through many addictions and I don't consider those periods of my life as "wasted." (No pun intended)
There were rough times, yes. But also fun times, enriching experiences, and I met a lot of interesting people-- especially in rehab.

Also, one of the things I never liked about 12-Step programs is the way they treat relapse. No matter how long a person is clean/sober, if they use/drink just once they have to pick up a white chip and "start over." Like those weeks/months/years of sobriety count for nothing. Bullshit! For an addict, any amount of clean time is a huge accomplishment.
Your right I agree 100% ❤️