• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin Megathread

Neurontin is DEFINITELY recreation, although it's kinda... dirty I guess.

The best is the first few times you take it. I would recommend between 1200-1800 mgs . Make sure you have a day set aside to experience it, as it can be VERY disorienting at times, to the point where I can't drive on over 1g doses...

Can get kinda... trippy in a subtle way, especially with grass. Grass definitely kicks it off.

It's also an amazing benzo potentiator. 600mgs is great when added to benzos, increases effects at least twofold.

With alcohol , it can get HORRIBLY strong. Remember dosing 600mg and drinking the equivalent of 5 drinks and not being able to drive (let alone stand) for a good 4 hours.

-lenses

^ Actually, its backwards - morphine increases the bioavailability of gabapentin. Not as fun, huh? :)

In general, opiates [at least the morphine-like ones] increase gabapentin's bioavailability; but gabapentin decreases their bioavailability [hydrocodone for example]. I wouldn't take that trade-off.

Anyone who is considering combining gabapentin with hydrocodone or other similar opioids should keep this in mind.

so i've ruled out taking this with codeine, but how would it effect say tramadol and fentanyl (sublingual)? i just got a bucketload from my doctor an am interested in trying out the recreational side of this drug a few times to see how it compares to pregabalin. i didn't get much joy out of the lyrica so im not expecting much from this.

Er, you merged backwards, now the mega thread is gone. you might wanna fix the title.

cheers nuke, i thought something was up with this. i did the same thing to the codeine thread

so i've ruled out taking this with codeine, but how would it effect say tramadol and fentanyl (sublingual)? i just got a bucketload from my doctor an am interested in trying out the recreational side of this drug a few times to see how it compares to pregabalin. i didn't get much joy out of the lyrica so im not expecting much from this.

I havent tried mixing gabapentin and tramadol, but I can imagine that the gabapentin would sorta smooth out the rough edges that sometimes come with tramadol...occasionally I used to get anxious or detached feelings with tramadol, and I believe that the quasi-benzo-esque effects of the gabapentin could help relieve these feelings and the more speedy side of the trams, if you get those effects too I'd be interested in hearing if the gabapentin helps with that at all.

I have combined gabapentin and pregabalin with sublingual fentanyl (using the mylan patches between the gum and cheek), and I enjoyed thoroughly both combinations. I ended up getting some euphoria specifically connected to music, and even some mild CEVs that synched up to the music, too! The way the CEVs were, some basic geometric patterns and colors moving in synch with the tunage, reminded me a bit of the CEVs one gets with DXM. Of course, the experience didnt really feel much like DXM, but that solitary aspect of the combination was bit reminiscient of it. Be careful mixing high doses of the two drugs though, there were times I found myself nodding out heavily and with amazing rapidity (such as in the middle of smoking a cigarette), and if I hadn't had a friend to check up on me, I don't doubt that I might have gotten into trouble!

I assume you are asking if gabapentin has the same adverse effect with tramadol or fentayl that it has with morphine and hydrocodone, and it does not. Gabapentin is not supposed to have any CYP450 interactions or even be metabolized by the liver (at least in any appreciable amount); the way it decreases the bioavailability is by an unknown mechanism and not related to CYP450 enzyme inhibition/induction/etc.
Now, all of this is accurate as of whenever I last read about it (maybe a year or two ago [?]). Perhaps the more research has been done on the subject and proved otherwise, but I doubt it.

My opinion of the other part: It clouds opiates too much and ruins the experience. Maybe it'd be good in a low dose, but finding that right dose is hard. It might be 300mg, it might be 3000mg. Retarded drug.

i took some gabapentin last night coming down off Dillie, it seemd to bring back the high somewhat whats your take chimpo? anyone knows its interaction specifically with hydromorphs, from experience or knowledge?

I havent tried mixing gabapentin and tramadol, but I can imagine that the gabapentin would sorta smooth out the rough edges that sometimes come with tramadol...

yeah it did take away that edginess that tramadol sometimes produces. though the combination really wasnt that great. it's not recreational at all in my opinion now after i've experimented with over the last few days. though it has worked pretty well with my sciatica.

I have combined gabapentin and pregabalin with sublingual fentanyl (using the mylan patches between the gum and cheek), and I enjoyed thoroughly both combinations. I ended up getting some euphoria specifically connected to music, and even some mild CEVs that synched up to the music, too! The way the CEVs were, some basic geometric patterns and colors moving in synch with the tunage, reminded me a bit of the CEVs one gets with DXM. Of course, the experience didnt really feel much like DXM, but that solitary aspect of the combination was bit reminiscient of it. Be careful mixing high doses of the two drugs though, there were times I found myself nodding out heavily and with amazing rapidity (such as in the middle of smoking a cigarette), and if I hadn't had a friend to check up on me, I don't doubt that I might have gotten into trouble!

i actually got some of these CEV as well when i was listening to some tunes and thought it was pretty cool, similar to DXM like you said but the high (if you can call it a high) wasnt anything alike.

i took 1200mg of tramadol and had 2 x 25mcg patches sublingually with about 1600mg of the gaba which was split into 2 doses and was nodding out pretty hardcore. dad noticed how fucked up i was and actually had to yell at me a few times because i was dropping cigarettes left right and centre. i did get a bit of a hangover from it as well, similar to that ive had from lyrica. it was pretty nasty and something i dont want to experience again

I assume you are asking if gabapentin has the same adverse effect with tramadol or fentayl that it has with morphine and hydrocodone, and it does not. Gabapentin is not supposed to have any CYP450 interactions or even be metabolized by the liver (at least in any appreciable amount); the way it decreases the bioavailability is by an unknown mechanism and not related to CYP450 enzyme inhibition/induction/etc.
Now, all of this is accurate as of whenever I last read about it (maybe a year or two ago [?]). Perhaps the more research has been done on the subject and proved otherwise, but I doubt it.

My opinion of the other part: It clouds opiates too much and ruins the experience. Maybe it'd be good in a low dose, but finding that right dose is hard. It might be 300mg, it might be 3000mg. Retarded drug.

yeah thats what i was after, cheers. and yeah, it is a pretty retarded drug to use recreationally. im going to stick to using it as prescribed as it's working pretty well. it didnt cloud the high at all, im not really sure what it did besides induce the CEV's and add to the sedation. it did have a semi benzo like feeling when taken on it's on but nothing to write home about or desire to use it to get high.

lol theres no recreational side
but ill still pop a few now cuz fuck it, it might stop this joint from making me sssssskizz

Neurontin (Gabapentin)

Hey there, my brother is prescribed all these ridiculous amounts of pills for his diabetes, recovering heroic addiction, and so on.

He has a very very large amount of 600mg Gabapentin pills, I use to take these from him every so often about two years ago, but those were tiny compared to these. He stopped getting them for a while and just got back on them.

I'm wondering, what's a "safe" recreational dosage I could take having 600mg pills?

He doesn't take most of the pre., he sells them. Strewn about our apartment.

Well, if he sells his meds and doesn't take them, then I guess it's your own move.

Gabapentin isn't too recreational from what people normally say, however 600mg is a bit high though, try 150mg or 300mg to start.

Sorry if I came off as an ass, I can see your point though. If he actually needed some of this stuff I'd take into consideration he needs it, but he doesn't haha - and I do recall it being very tolerable after one use.

Gabapentin doses for first time users are very unpredictable IME (not to mention the fact that I don't consider it to be that fun of a drug). Anyway, whatever that feeling you get from it is, it could take as little as a few hundred milligrams or it could take thousands of milligrams [I think the first time I took it I took 1500mg and felt nothing. Then again, others have gotten 'high' from much less - or much more]. As I'm pretty sure I posted earlier in this thread, gabapentin is a retarded drug (pharmacologically speaking).

You really need at least 3000mg to get a "recreational high" on this drug.

Taking less can ease social anxiety but it won't make you as "gregarious" or joyed as 3000mg.

For me Gabapentin feels like a mix of benzo/opiate/kratom all in one. I list kratom because Gabapentin has a nice and relaxing "upper" affect that doesn't make you jittery...much like kratom does.

And it's a safe dose, this stuff is hard to OD on.

Whoever says this drug isn't recreational didn't take enough or has a tolerance, it sure was for the times I've taken it spaced far a part.

It's not a pure opiate buzz, this drug doesn't make you apathetic or take away your problems so you can't expect it to be a substitute. It also depends on the individual, if you had epilepsy then you probably won't get high because you "NEED" the drug. Just like someone who has a severe injury won't get very high from painkillers because they are in pain and need them.

I wouldn't try 3000mg as a starting dose, bad idea it might be overwhelming. Maybe 1000mg. In the interests of harm reduction I would say even less should be taken to get a feel for the substance but IIRC 1000mg can be RX'd (I even got 3600mg x3 with a bit of persuasion - but the stuff actually helped me up incrementally up to 3000mg).

Just don't drive on it. And for what it's worth after I found out it could be recreational, I did get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Some questions

Does anyone have hard info on the effects of Gabapentin on the kidneys and liver?

Also, someone said it causes 'hepatic cancer'. Is there any truth to that?

What is your guys max dosage? I find that 2400 is quite good. But then there's that weird tolerance.

Does anyone know how Gabapentin interacts with benzos (ie Lorazepam)?

thanks

Last edited:
Gabapentin definitely gets me high in a strange way that is hard to describe. I know it doesn't do anything for some people, as is the case for most anything. I experience the meticulous "almost OCD" effect that I have seen mentioned here, as well as built up a tolerance. In fact, from the period of July 4th, 2009 to August 30th, I ingested about 400 of either 300mg or 400mg capsules. I felt amazing, I was flying around the house doing things that would I normally laugh at the thought of doing such as dishes and other chores. Also, I am a waitress, and it made kissing people's asses for bigger tips very easy and effective. HOWEVER, I have to let anyone who is about to or who has already fallen in love with this drug that I experienced the worst withdrawal I ever have, and that includes methadone. I am sure that my methadone withdrawal might seem laughable to anyone here who was hooked to heroin, but I digress.

I cannot remember where I read it but I seem to remember some adverse effects on the kidneys or liver.

Sorry if I bored everyone but I hate the thought of ANYONE going through what I did coming off of gabapentin. The reason that I ended up eating THAT MANY pills in such a short time was because of the quick tolerance build up.

There's some good advice here; I have to agree with the people that say the recreational effects start in the gram + range, and those effects are indeed strange.

Something that is mentioned but not emphasized... Gabapentin and pregabalin both potentiate benzos to an extreme degree. Extreme. Be very careful or you'll black out and do god-knows-what...