R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Genital Warts - HPV - Q&A: Work warning

shal

Bluelighter
HPV INFORMATION - *Work Warning - Graphical Images*

Firstly - Start handling this like an adult and be rational.

HPV infections are common and are usually regarded as a nuisance rather than a serious condition.

General Information on HPV

Genital warts are small lumps that may grow on the genitals in men or women. They are caused by viruses similar to those that cause warts on hands or feet. These viruses all belong to the family called human papilloma viruses (HPV). This large family has more than 100 different members, which prefer different types of skin. For example, warts that grow on hands or feet are unlikely to grow on genital skin.

How is Genital Warts Caught?

The HPV virus is usually passed on during sexual activity. This may be through direct skin contact, or the virus may be carried in body fluids from the genital skin of one person to the genital skin of another. If the skin is broken it is more likely that an infection will start.

Once a person is infected with HPV, small lumps may appear on the skin after a few weeks. Sometimes the virus may just remain in the skin and be invisible (this is called sub-clinical infection). It is often impossible to tell how long someone may have had the virus, or when they first caught it.

HPV Statistics! - Your not alone!

HPV is common, and may be found in people of all ages. Genital HPV infection is most common among young people. One estimate is that up to 70% of all sexually active people aged 19 to 25 may have the virus at some time.

How do I know if I have HPV?

Some people may have genital warts but not be aware of them. Others may see or feel small lumps on the skin. They can range in size from almost invisible to several centimetres wide and occur in many different shapes. They can be shaped like a (tiny) cauliflower, like a pimple, be on a short stalk or lie flat. Warts often occur in several groups at a time. Most people do not feel any pain or discomfort. Others may feel some irritation or itching. Genital warts sometimes get in the way during sex.

It can be difficult to tell if a lump on the skin of your own genitals is a wart, so it is a good idea to get it checked. Your doctor or nurse can usually tell if they are warts just by looking.

Often, the first time a woman is aware of having HPV infection is when it shows up on a Pap smear. Genital warts may also appear for the first time, or grow larger, during pregnancy because of the effects of hormones.

HPV can become serious in women if left untreated!

In some women with genital warts, the virus may be found on the cervix. If HPV is found on the cervix, there is a greater chance that precancerous cells may develop on the cervix. It is important that all women with genital warts have a Pap smear done regularly. If a Pap smear shows HPV, a repeat smear will be recommended within 6 to 12 months. If these repeat smears also show HPV, your doctor may recommend colposcopy.

Precancerous changes can also occur on the skin of the vagina and vulva, and more rarely on the penis. Smoking increases the risk of developing precancerous changes.

What does Genital Warts Look Like?

Female - Warts around the Vulva.

wart1.jpg

Male - Fresh Warts on the Penis.

wart2.jpg

Can HPV be treated! YES!

If the warts bother you, you can seek treatment. There are many different types of treatment available, including chemical paints and creams, freezing, burning (cautery), or laser. Often the treatment needs to be repeated several times before the lumps disappear. Some types of chemical paints (podophyllin or podophyllotoxin) are not recommended during pregnancy.

Unfortunately there is no method of treatment that will completely cure HPV infection. After having the warts treated there may still be some virus left in the skin and there is a chance that warts may recur.

Your own body’s immune system can cure HPV infection altogether, although this may take months or years. Sometimes your body may keep the virus suppressed in the skin. In this case it is possible that the virus may become active again sometime in the future, eg if you become ill or run down.

It is important that you keep healthy to help your body fight these viruses. Eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and grains; get enough sleep and exercise; and look at ways of dealing with stress in your daily life.

Smoking cigarettes is believed to stop your body from effectively fighting infections, so quitting is a good idea.

Can Genital warts be spread to other partners?

Yes, it is possible to pass the virus on just by skin to skin contact. So the use of condoms will give some protection.

If you have been with your partner for a while, and have been having unprotected sex, then it is likely that both of you already have the same virus.

If you have, or have had, genital warts, you may be concerned about passing the virus on to a new partner. This is possible while the virus remains in the skin. Unfortunately we do not know how long this might be. Using condoms will reduce the risk of passing on genital warts, as well as reducing your risk of catching another STI. It may be difficult, but it is a good idea to talk to your partner about having had genital warts.

Is there anything else I should know?

Many people are shocked, or experience other strong feelings, when they discover they have genital warts or HPV. If you are feeling distressed, it is important to talk to your doctor, nurse or a counsellor for further information and support

Go see a doctor - Get treated! - Easy!

Cheers,

shals! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
HPV/genital warts and Herpes are not the same thing. Just wanted to clarify that as the title of the thread is a bit deceptive.

yup, ive just recently had a scare with this!
girl got her regular pap smear done, and had abnormal cells or some shit come back, so they told her she might have this. she came down on me with hells fury. went ballastic on me, she hadnt had sex since her kid, and had been tested b4 and after and was clean. well id been bangin around and got basck with her, and she went for her test thing like 3 days after i banged the hell outta her. and then they told her she could have it, well another test and another weeks worth of stress and flying emotions. shes back and clean, and the last girl i was with went and got tested, and her and the new guy for her are both clean. i havnt been tested, i know i should. im goin to the doc next week to have a wart on my finger burned off, and im going to bring it up about hpv with him, and explain the situation. funny thing, ive had warts on my hands and burned em off, or i cut them off myself with an exacto knife(yes painful) and they seem to come back. but meh. i know that the ones on my finger vs the ones down there are completly diff family...b ut jeeeeesss the scare we went thru. good fuckin times.

eek, i just got a call today from my OB/GYN saying i had an atypical pap smear come back. i need to go back so she can check me out "down there" with a microscope.

i am a bit perplexed however, i have been with my boyfriend fro 5+ years. to my knowledge, he has not been with another girl and was only with one other person prior to us dating. i have been with one other guy over two years ago (bad story :().

i have my pap done every year, this is the third since i was with the other guy. why is it just coming back atypical now? how common is it for HPV to show up years later?

i need to do some more research on it, but thought maybe some BLers could provide insight :)

animal cookie- i had this problem with my lady friend. i was with her on and off 3 years, every time she went in, all good. then i found a new peice of tail, and was with that for a good 9 months solid bangin away. then i get back with the other girl, had sex 1 time b4 she went for her checkup thingy, and it came back abnormal cells or some shit. well long story short, there was no problem. and i let the other girl kno that this other girl had abnormal results, she got herself and her new man checked out, and theyre both clean as a whistle. me, i havnt been tested but the way i see it, if both ladies come back clean, then im surly clean as well. i wouldnt put too much worry into it.

animal_cookie -

My ex had a similar situation. It really upset her and in the end after having a biopsy we found out she was fine.

To be honest, an abnormal pap smear is more common then you imagine. I wouldent be to concerned about HPV. Even if HPV was detected it is very treatable.

The worry with abnormal cells is they may become cancerous, causing cervical cancer. By taking a Biopsy they can tell if the cells are cancerous or if they are likely to become cancerous.

In saying the above, again, abormalities are quiet common and its best to be checked and stay on the safe side!

Stay happy, dont worry to much and enjoy life!

shals :D

thanks all for the info and stories, its made me feel alot better :) i didn't realize how common it is to get back an atypical pap smear. nor that an atypical pap is not conclusive evidence that i have HPV.

one more quick question. from what i have read, some strains of HPV can cause warts to appear on other parts of the body. my boyfriend and i both have a few warts on our hands, any idea if this is caused by the same HPV that gave me an atypical pap? i meant to ask my doc when i scheduled a colposcopy, but forgot...

(ps- i am very glad my mom went ahead and left me on her health insurance even tho i insisted i wasn't going to pay for it. you never know when you might need to go to the doc!)

Last edited:
Ohh and in the title it should be HPV not HVP.

Reminds me of the time I talked about the drug 'DMX'. ;)

Yes, a few weeks ago I had developed this irritation around my vulva, i called my Planned parenthood line and talked to one of the girls and scheduled a pap smear, although i checked clean previously with an atypical abnormality, no prob still clean..

Anyway when i talked to the girl via phone she said it could have been a couple things some sort of amaloid cyst (sorry if i got that wrong) which would be why the inflamation could be, herpes, or hpv precurser irritation.. So with allt he stress, my partners was wonderful about it, got tested and I recieved no call back which meant i was CLEAN! (thats how PP policy is if they dont call everything is cool). But yeah after looking back in retrospect I was being over worried and over causious, but Id rather have it done anyway that wondering whatif ect. Plus i was due for a new pap anyway. :) It never hurts to get it done more than once a year if you have multipul partners, id rather do it too often than not enough. :)

I hear alot of people talking about getting "abnormal cells" and then getting tested again, and everything is cool. Same thing has happened with my ex-gf. I am quite sure that she left me with a virus (and haven't been sexually active since.) I've been to the doctors, and it's apparent that i have some type of warts not hpv, but similar.
well reguardless to say, this virus has ruined a few years of my life, and still keeps me from being sexually active. this is the worst thing ever to happen to me, and the girl who gave it to me continues to spread it to other guys, and doesn't believe me, or my doctor. I ONLY HAD SEX WITH 2 GIRLS BEFORE I CAUGHT AN STD, so everyone out there WATCH OUT.

imagine how depressing it would be to know you have an std, which in theory can come back anytime you are stressed, or sick, and that you'll never get to make love again, and all of this is discovered before you graduate high school?

sorry if i sound bitchy, but this is the worst thing thats ever happened to me, and now i completely aviod relationships, cuz what chick would want a dude with an std....

unfortunatley with HPV, it can take months or even years before signs/ symptoms occur so it can be difficult to tell which partner (if youve had multiple partners) you contracted it from...

both myself and my fiance have HPV... i have only had a few bumps "down there" for a few weeks that resembled skin-tag type warts... they disappeared and havent returned... my man has a small distinct looking wart... we were both very sexually active before we met each other, so it is difficult to determine who contracted it from who, and whether or not we both had it before we got together....

a few weeks ago, i had 3 biopsies on my cervix... the nurse from the clinic called a few days ago to schedule my cryosurgery because there is still "abnormal" cells (she would only tell me that when i go in for the procedure she will discuss in detail exactly what type of abnormal cells they found)... unfortunatley, when i did not have insurance, i had 2 abnormal paps and nothing was done about them (i didnt find out about the first one until almost a year later! then the second one, i kept having to call and nag to get the results... nothing was done because i didnt have insurance)... i am hoping all goes well, seeing as that it has been 3 years since my first abnormal pap, and now that i have insurance, as soon as my doctor got the results, she immediately scheduled a colposcopy which showed abnormal cells, which led to my biopsies...

HPV is not the end of the world... yes it can be frustrating knowing that you have an STD...
i used to have a bunch of awesome links for information that i found very interesting... i will post them in here once i find them again....

Shal, you are fucking disgusting. Why would you want to post horrible pictures like that? Couldn't you have left it to our imaginations?

monogamy, hmm what security, what bliss! Like warm baked cookies and STD checks together! aww precious moments.

- Posted by anonymous -
See this thread.

i know i should probably just come out and ask him, but about 3 years ago, my then-boyfriend/fiance noticed bumps on his penis. he said he didn't know where they came from but thought that he got them because he handled gasoline (which he did quite often), didn't wash his hands, and used the restroom. thought he might've just had some sort of reaction to the chemical. he went to the doctor to check it out and never told me exactly what the doctor said, but he came home with some tetrinoid gel (i think that's right). the bumps went away after a few applications. he never complained of pain or irritation, it never got in the way of sex, and the bumps have not since resurfaced.

i was cleaning out our medicine cabinet of old things recently and found the tube of gel. i knew how old it was and he hasn't mentioned these bumps since he got this gel, so i threw it out. however, curiousity got the best of me and i looked up on the computer what the gel was used for. primarily for acne, but can also be for genital warts, especially if you have to apply it in your genital region.

that infuriated me and scared the hell out of me! i do not show any symptoms of warts or any other skin irritations so i suppose i shouldn't be terribly worried, but i am just wondering if his condition sounds at all like warts? obviously he wouldn't have told me straight off, because that would mean he was cheating on me, but to not tell me after all this time of being married is not like him. i would think he cared about my well-being enough to let me know he may or may not have this condition.

any help?
thank you.

^^^for starters, warts can appear weeks, months or years after exposure to the virus. provided your husband has had other sexual partners in the past, he may have gotten it from them. its not a sign of him being unfaithful.

i've had intercourse with two people, one of whom was a virgin at the time. the other, my boyfriend, has been with only one other person. so i can wager a good guess of how he/i picked up the disease.

but i would just ask him what the doctor said when he went. i know it will be uncomfortable and weird, but i think putting your mind at ease is worth it. and if it was genital warts, chances are good that you caught the virus also. you should go have a pap smear done, i think that is how most females find out they have HPV...

sorry this post is all jumbled, i am running out the door but wanted to respond :)

can i take a second to point out that there are many strains for which no actual warts ever appear? men will only carry it but for women it effects the cervix and can cause cancer.... the only way you'll know you have it is if you get tested for it.

aj the femme