• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Golf Golf Thread

bittersweet moment today...

i'm in the u.k just now because my dad passed away a couple of weeks ago. he was an avid golfer and played right up until just a few months before the end. i played him many times - not as many as i would like which is hard because we live 6000 miles apart - and i managed to beat him just once in my life :)

i played a round on his home course today. i played ok... pretty average actually but i had a special moment on #8:

holeinone02.png

i like to imagine he was right there with me and gave a little assistance from beyond :)

that's my third hole in one in as many years.

alasdair

Last edited:
i played golf at grizzly ranch gc in portola, ca yesterday.

played 18 holes here in town at 7:00am this morning.

now i'm settled in to watch hours and hours of the u.s. open :)

alasdair

i had a good round today. in the summer months, a group of friends and i have a tee time before 7am every saturday morning at tahoe paradise golf course.

a lot of local golf snobs dislike it but it's a great course - it's very tight through the trees and really good for my game because you have to hit it straight. it's built on the side of a hill, too so there are a lot of uphill shots. the greens are a nightmare - everything breaks everywhere and you can have a 4 foot downhill putt that ends up 30 feet away very easily. my usual target for putts is 30 or fewer but if i get out of paradise with 36 i feel like i putted well.

it's a lot of fun.

anhyoo, i had a great round today - gross score was +6, net was -3. it's my best round there ever. but the highlight was #12. it's a 260 yard uphill, dogleg left hole - as a fader i rarely do well. it also has a very tight tee shot so i usually play it safe with my 5 hybrid or such. i was feeling it today so i hit my 3 wood and totally got under it. it went straight up in the air and went about 130 yards :)

it went far enough and right enough that i could get past the corner on the dogleg - my approach is about 130 yards and the green is about 40 or 50 feet above me. i hit a smooth 8 iron and it just felt so good. landed on the green but i could not see it because of the elevation. my friend gets up to the green before me and says he can't see my ball. that always gets me excited :)

he checked the hole and there it is. in for 2 and an eagle. the cherry on the cake was that i get a pop on the hole (i'm a 16 handicap these days) so it was a net hole in one!

golfscorecard02.png

alasdair

Last edited:
Quite the play off at the travelers today.

I hit terrible today off the Ts but putting was as good as i have ever done.. that is a total switch up. I could care less as I crush it and usually wither with the put. My whole goal for this season is to put competitively.

Last edited:
it's been an interesting couple of months...

all last summer, i was playing well. typically shooting between 83 and 88. about 3 months ago my entire game abandoned me. couldn't drive. shanking all my irons. blading and chunking around the green. putting was dismal. i went from shooting in the 80s to averaging 95 and i carded one round of 104 :(

it's not much fun but i think the best thing to do is to just play through it.

i played on saturday and everything seemed to click back in to place in one round. it was weird but i'll take it :)

i shot the best round of my life - a 77. everything was just working...

first key factor was no penalties. i have only ever done that once before and it's hard.

next key factor was putting. my goal for 18 holes is 30 or fewer putts. i had 26 putts including 8 one-putts and, crucially, no three-putts.

another key factor and something i am pretty sure i have never done before - i hit 14 out of 14 fairways.

it's amazing how fast a round like this gets me excited about playing golf again :)

golfscorecard03.png

alasdair

Last edited:
Just picked up a 50 degree wedge to fill the hole I had and got the putter re gripped. Lightning bolts on the putter grip..

nice. which grip did you go with?

i just got all my clubs regripped. feels good :)

alasdair

Went with the sweet rollz .. was planning on getting an even more substantial grip (more girth) .. but the bolts sold me for now.

nice. how does it feel?

i've been using winn dri-tac for a while now. i redid my driver with an oversize grip:

Winn_DriTac_AVS_WinnDry_Oversize_Dark_Gray_Grip_1_8inch_7DT-DG_dde860f5-f207-400c-8104-ba0918b16136_470x.jpg

and did the rest of my clubs - irons, wedges, hybrids and my 3 wood - with the regular grip - same as above but thinner.

for my putter i went with a lamkin sink fit deep-v midsize:

deep-v-mid-side-01-700_large.jpg

love them all :)

yesterday i was 3 shots up in a round against 2 friends. figured even a 7 on the par 4 would secure the win. i put 2 balls in a pond and bladed a chip. carded an 8 and lost by 1 stroke.

golf can be so soul crushing :)

but, my game is coming back. a few months ago i was lost in the wilderness averaging mi 90s.

my last 5 have been 87, 81, 89, 85, 87. very encoutagingly i am averaging about 1.7 putts per hole. my goal is always 30 putts or fewer a round.

alasdair