L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Good looking Vs Intelligence

spun_in_wonderland said:
:| Can I say something here?

What I find "stupid"or stated less offensively, mislead, is the arrogance behind the "intelligence" of those who call others stupid. Some of you throw the word around as if it's an irrefutable fact that establishes a hiearchy of personal worth. What ever happened to the importance of wisdom in intelligence? Wisdom knows all men are fools and that love for self and others is a guiding light in life.

^^^^^^^^ Agreed. I don't think that anybody is truly "stupid" or truly "intelligent" over each other...in the end, we all have our own life experiences and learn something because of it. If you gave anybody you once perceived to be "stupid" a chance, you'd realize that they've got a side that you've never seen before as well.

I disagree a bit. Some people are genuinely, truly, stupid. Fortunately, not too many people are this dim. It's a bellcurve like any other trait. Of course, that being said, there is nothing inherently wrong with stupid people. Personally, I enjoy people of all levels of intelligence.

Smarts is overrated anyways. It doesn't take much intelligence to get by in our present society; some stupid people become tremendous successes and have great lives. Ignorance is bliss.

For me, in regards to women, it's about 40% personality, 40% looks, 20% intelligence. I think, anyways. I could be way off.

wizekrak said:
The key is to be centered, confident in all aspects of yourself, and don't be afraid to laugh alittle at your own expense either.

There's the trick.

I can put up with overbearing and overly opinionated 'smart' people if they can occasionally can just step back, chuckle at themselves and say "Did I just sound like an obnoxious ass? ;), sorry guys "... and mean it.

In my opinion, being uninformed, uneducated, or simply slow does not make one deserving of the title of "stupid".

For me, stupidity is an active thing. It's making bad decisions with complete awareness of the options and the consequences. THAT is deserving of disparaging comments.

We all play the genetic hand we're dealt. The general concensus based on studies revolving around identical twins is that environment during the formative years can affect intellectual capacity by roughly 20% at the extreme. Genetics is the biggest determiner of intelligence.

So I would never look down on anybody, no matter how slow they are.

The people that I know who are the most fun to hang out with - the people I prefer to spend time with - are all roughly average.

Johnny1
If it weren't for ignorant people, we wouldn't have George Bush in office (I know that doesn't affect you as strongly in OZ as here, but he still has a global influence). If it weren't for ignorant people, we wouldn't have the war on drugs. We wouldn't have the wholescale destruction of the earth's environment. And so on.
I try not to be an angry person, and I do consider every human being to be on an equal level, but I must say: IGNORANCE SUCKS! The people who are fucking up our society and our planet...fuck them! :grrr: They are assholes. Do they get a pass because they're ignorant, close-minded, provincial, uneducated, unperceptive, and just plain dumb? Not from me.

So I want to know - in detail - what environmental groups you actively participate in. Where you lobby for political change. Because clearly you must be contributing bigtime to be calling down the uneducated masses.

Incidently, the wholesale destruction of the earths environment doesn't spring from the ignorant, uneducated, unperceptive, or even the just plain dumb. Guess where it comes from? Engineers, physicists, inventors, politicians, and thinkers in general.

If the world were rid of the thinkers we'd still be a basic agricultural society, the environment would be better off, it's possible the masses would be healthier, and we might all be happier.

So maybe it's the brains who should get the hell off the planet.

Spun-In-Wonderland/SLM: have you ever lived, or spent considerable (ie multiple full days every week) time with someone you consider truly stupid? Or have you never met anyone you consider truly stupid?

Yeah. Pretty much every day. I just have a very placid nature with such people. I'm able to smile and be nice, and not let them affect me. *shrug* I don't see the point in getting all riled up about intellectual differences, and I don't feel the need to point out mine (if indeed mine *is* superior, which I honestly have no fucking idea.. it's all subjective within the context you live in really)

Jert said:
I disagree a bit. Some people are genuinely, truly, stupid. Fortunately, not too many people are this dim. It's a bellcurve like any other trait. Of course, that being said, there is nothing inherently wrong with stupid people. Personally, I enjoy people of all levels of intelligence.

Stupid under who's standards though?

Anyone can look at someone else and decide in a moment if the other person is good-looking.

Not so with intelligence - only those who invest time and energy will get to know if someone else is intelligent.

Why is this relevant to the discussion?

Because although in most cases, it isn't the number one benefit and isn't the number one reason for dating someone gorgeous, one of the potential PRIMARY benefits of having a great looking girlfriend (or boyfriend) is that it impresses OTHER PEOPLE, even people who don't even know you or your girlfriend, and that, in turn, feeds one's ego, which most people agree isn't particularly healthy.

On the other hand, the primary benefits of having an extremely smart girlfriend are more "pure" and less centered on feeding the ego.

Granted, this analysis doesn't "prove" anything, but perhaps it shows that the motives behing dating someone brilliant might sometimes be said to be more "pure" than the motives behind dating someone brilliant.

Of course, this ignores the motives that some women - er . . . PEOPLE . . . seem to have in dating someone brilliant for the purposes of having them make oodles of money so they can live comfortably without having to work themselves.

Because that never happens.

Last edited:
same reason you respect a dude that worked hard to make his money over some punk who got spoon fed and moms and pops showered him with cash, ect.
both got money right?
so really looks is like pretty much something that mom and dad handed to you. you really didnt have to work for it. (well sometimes ppl do, i understand that.)
but your mind, your personality is something that a person invests alot of time, discipline and self control.
that's not to say that people posess these same qualities to perfect their physique cos i kknow they do.
i guess it just shows a lack of depth if outer beauty is all you look for in a mate.
y'know for me it aint body and it aint how good a grades ya gets either.
for me, what attracts me to people is politeness, compassion, honesty and just all around fun.
if you got a good body and are a book worm on top of that, alright that's great too.
it's just that your smarts aren't gonna keep me liking you and neither is your body.

HobbyIsBowling said:
Obviously when determining who's "stupid" or not, it's a subjective term. What's your point?

My original point was that nobody is "stupid" or "dumb," he is saying that there are definitely people who are "stupid," so I'm asking him stupid to whom?

Kandy K said:
so I'm asking him stupid to whom?
If you're asking him the question then obviously his subjective standard for who is "stupid" and who is not would be used.

subjective means: Particular to a given person; personal.

I know what subjective means, jesus fuck me christ.

Sorry... brink of withdrawal psyhosis moment.

Now, if it was merely his subjective standard for what the measure of stupidity was, then why would he dispute that with me? That is what led me to think he believes in some sort of objective standard for intelligence, just like how fundamentalists claim to believe in an objective standard for morality...

How about using the clinical guidelines for mental retardation baed on IQ. Anyone with an IQ of 70 to 80 is definately stupid. Anyone below 70 is just retarded.

Kandy K said:
Now, if it was merely his subjective standard for what the measure of stupidity was, then why would he dispute that with me? That is what led me to think he believes in some sort of objective standard for intelligence, just like how fundamentalists claim to believe in an objective standard for morality...

I don't really understand your first sentence.

In my post, I just wanted to dispute your statement that (quote) "I don't think that anybody is truly "stupid" or truly "intelligent" over each other". I think you're wrong. Maybe we haven't had the same experiences, but I can say, defintely, that I've met people over the years whom I thought either A) This person is as dumb as a post or B) Wow, this dude/dudette is pretty smart.

I think what you are saying is that people aren't really smarter or dumber then others, just that they perhaps look at life differently, or just think differently. For the most part I think this true. But, yeah, as I just said, I think some people are especially stupid, and some, especially smart.

To answer your other question, I, as H.i.B said, am speaking subjectively.
Intelligence is kind of a nebulous term, it encompasses many distinct cognitive processes, and there is no real measure of intelligence --
the best test we have to measure intelligence is the IQ test, but even that is not perfect, as it has been shown to be flawed in some respects. Beauty if also subjective. Like intelligence tests, there are ways to measure beauty (body measurements, facial symmetry, etc) but ultimately, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But with both beauty and intelligence, subjectivity aside, you can say that some people are 'stupid'. I am surprised you may not think this. Some people are stupid -- this is what I'm saying; just as some people are ugly -- from my perspective, anyways.

If, Kandy K, you go through your life never meeting any stupid people or never seeing any ugly people, than I envy you. I suppose it is possible. It's just not possible for me.

Kandy K said:
Here's the thing. People generally have different tastes in beauty. People generally consider people who are "intelligent" as someone who they PERCEIVE to be of equal or greater intellect than them, and people who are "dumb" are generally people who they PERCEIVE to be stupider than them.

I for one, don't want to be with an ugly person. Nor do I want to be with an idiot. But I sometimes compromise--the better looking he is, the more of an idiot I allow him to be. The worse looking he is, the more he must compensate for it by personality. This is why the stereotype that "ugly people are funny/smart," "smart people are stupid/annoying," stereotype exists, but the truth is, I've met some ugly fuckers who are stupid as fuck, and I've met some beautiful people who have a lot of wisdom. Beauty can earn you some points, but in life we all go through some shit, so to say that really isn't fair.

Oh, and one more thing :D . I don't understand how you can post that, and then, post this:

^^^^^^^^ Agreed. I don't think that anybody is truly "stupid" or truly "intelligent" over each other...in the end, we all have our own life experiences and learn something because of it. If you gave anybody you once perceived to be "stupid" a chance, you'd realize that they've got a side that you've never seen before as well.

------

How can you say you met "ugly fuckers who are stupid as fuck" and then in your next post say that 'no one is truly stupid over each other'? Are you not totally contradicting yourself?

Maybe you should've given that person in the first post who is "stupid as fuck" "a chance" so that'd "you'd realize that they've got a side that you've never seen before as well".

Last edited: