• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Harm Reduction type of modded vaporizer pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egzoset

Bluelighter
Salutations everybody,

I wish to present you my personalized pipe(s) as it looks today!

iohdt5.jpg

(Family view from previous experiments...)

wrjcxx.jpg

(The Core...)

2eezmro.jpg

(Empty Bowl...)

Yep! It's that good!! Not just because it vaporizes, no: it "saves" too and it also helped me to avoid/push back the fatidic "T-Break" period as a by-product. My HerbalAire was like a locomotive, i felt compelled to finish crucibles/bags once started... My pipe's bowl capacity is around 125 mg in comparison, not to mention this translates as "1 Hit" inhalations and hence a bowl can be consumed at the owner's pace, which leads to long enjoyable evenings.

Lets be honnest, there's some dust collecting behind that metal screen but what's on the bowl side looks somewhat more appealing than whatever comes out of any smoker apparatus i've ever seen before! I mean, that's a mix of wax, resin and vegetal particles on my second photograph, correct?...

38.gif

Last but not least, while i was toying around with my VG i discovered an unexpected sensitivity to butane-related contaminants so it motivated me in searching a way to reduce exposure and i believe i've found my answers! Here's one right here:

2hs3psp.jpg

This is an aluminium support holding a tetrahedral-shaped glass shield as shown below:

2j3s5ev.jpg

The front "Ceramic Filter" is about 4 mm on this snapshot, the smaller one in the base conduit is 2 mm thick only and it's wrapped by a screen which serves as support (it's an eroded/refurbished item). After 15 or so versions i feel "foamy-rock" + aluminium (at the focal point) + 2~3 mm of air (in between) + glass + more "foamy-rock" and stainless-steel finally, euh... that this particular stacked structure works great for me. Give it a try too if you can, then who knows!...

5.gif

In my opinion we haven't seen the last of those just yet. Not only is this relatively economic and certainly reliable/portable, i equally found that even if i consider this to be my official "Plan-B" its features render it ideal in "sampling" missions. The heating period is very brief, 3 seconds approximately, while heating there's some energy stored in the structure that is available after the flame is removed, so that inhalation can last 1 or 2 more seconds in practical terms. In comparison i was inhalating (with my flame lit) for much longer than that (12~15 s), hence the "HR" aspect in cutting it down something like 4-fold on average... More distant "T-Breaks" and lesser cannabis/money/butane consumption, etc... i think it's worth the share as a result of that alone.

So, if you once enjoyed smoking and now/still consider vaporization, but possibly got discouraged by 1st contact with the VaporGenie pipe, euh... Well, then my advice is to consider the alternatives and i've just presented you one!!

I have myself and this allowed me to experience the pipe in ways hardly accessible previously, as this extensive form of "modding" (2-stones & an hybrid shield!) provides eye-contact through the PVC tube and this changed everything as i adopted it early...

The extended operating range makes it easy enough to get complete satisfying sessions and prevent combustion until there's not much left anyway. When fully spent the load falls down using nothing but gravity and maybe a side-blow or two; i prefer to discard my leftovers a bit sooner (to avoid the pop-corn flavour) so i keep it for later use in cooking recipes instead (another still in-progress adventure). The last thing on my immediate agenda is finding the best way to reclaim from bottom-of-bowl screens since the second picture on top strongly suggests i should!

105.gif

My conclusion is simple, knowing how today's economics can hurt one would hope there's some affordable alternative to smoking and i believe a few good candidates will be offered to future generations (that i wish had existed 30-some years ago)!... View this post as a simple prelude.

=D

Last edited:
ADDENDUM

Last evening i've added a 3rd puck and a shield in my contraption which now enumerates as follows:

1 Front "Foamy-Rock" (4 mm thick)
1 Metal (AWG #19) legs-less (single-layer) shield with center (axial) iris opening (1.5~ mm dia.)
1 Middle "puck" (3 mm thick)
1 Hybrid (Metal + Glass) assembly including 1 Deflector-Shield/Support (3 mm thick), with 1 Air-Layer and 1 Glass Shield underneath.
1 Top-of-Bowl assembly (3~ mm thick) including 1 refurbished/eroded "puck" (2mm thick) wrapped by 1 Stainless-Steel Screen​

Lets note the ToB SS Screen provides a thin Air-Layer separation under, between it and the ToB "puck".

%)

It looks nifty but I'm not seeing how it works. I guess the heating element goes on top of the crucible? I used an HerbalAire myself, if you use the bags and fill the crucible it's basically a party device, one bag is enough to get five people totally lit. If I was using it by myself I'd literally just need one third of the crucible at most. Cool pipe though, I always thought using butane for vaping is a neat concept, makes it more portable than something you have to plug in. Did you make the wooden parts yourself?

Salutations ThujOne,

...I'm not seeing how it works. I guess the heating element goes on top of the crucible? Did you make the wooden parts yourself?

The items i've modified are the mouthpiece (i prefer my extension tube), the support loop under my bowl screen and the Heat-Exchanger components inside the "ball". It all came from a commercially-available product called the VaporGenie Classic, originally (except for my HA-related accessories of course), but a local reseller where i got mine doesn't offer replacement "Ceramic Filters" so it was necessary to acquire 3 pipes in order to obtain the 3 "pucks" i wanted to play with, finally... But i sense you're not even familiar with the basic VG pipe concept so it might be difficult to grasp what's the benefits of such involving customization - not to mention explain it starting from the begining. Lets simply say it's about heat transmission vs buffering & delays.

I used an HerbalAire myself...

It was enjoyable but switching to the pipe revealed more of the "aromatherapy" aspect than my HA table vaporizer ever did: faint sensations became clearly noticeable, whatever, but finding an affordable/efficient cure for dryness sure proved decisive!

...I always thought using butane for vaping is a neat concept...

Everyone isn't too confident over butane, there are "purists" who won't even consider making trade-offs despite the unique features which butane has to offer them.

In any case i've removed the middle part in my pipe and i'm back to a "2-Stones" topology except there are now 3 shielding components combined in the center. In fact it was quite surprizing for me to find out how well this works compared to what i tought could have been the final touch before, so it seems i'm getting pretty close but yet i'm still improving. The art to avoid Hot-Spot formation may happen not to be as much a matter of deflecting focussed heat than i initially imagined, the augmented thermal mass affected my cannabic sessions beyond expectative guesses and hence i intend to give this idea some further attention, even if it shall imply carving new aluminium bits, eventually.

But the 3mm middle "puck" is gone and for the best as i had 10 good "tokes" on 1 single bowl just last night, so...

Stay tuned!

=D

Last edited:
Salutations everyone,

I've made some changes since my last post:

9u927a.jpg

fep3pi.jpg

zn7pm8.jpg

This is how it's been since August so i guess it can be called my final modded version.

Of course the extension tubing also remains a major asset:

Though PVC becomes obviously tainted after a while, but it's kind of a match for that black pipe after all.

=D

Salutations everyone,

Time for a quick update, i've added a 3rd puck in the ball's aperture above the bowl. This seemed to render yellow-flame operation trickier but now i can manage using a jet-flame as a trade-off - which was the missing link apparently:

jj21ar.jpg

The rest remains unchanged except i've started putting a light cotton ball near the tube's junction, to catch particles.

300fwb6.jpg

There's been a lot of wood/finish gassing off during the testing phase but i'm practically done with it finally...

The genuine VG external layout is still appropriate for a yellow flame (with my customized mouthpiece installed without its extension), for a torch-lighter though i definitely prefer having eye-contact on fire... Both methods revealed their charms nonetheless.

This butane lighter provides me just about the correct amount of power:

9zn8n9.jpg

Slick Deluxe "Gun" model (Wenzhou Menghu Lighter Co. clone)

The trick is to pre-heat at 1st then to heat the front puck dim red. Here's the result after 4 generous tokes on a same bowl:

9vjr4x.jpg

=D

Last edited:
LOL that's quite the lighter you have there! So you heat the top puck up to vaping temp then put the green in and draw air down through the top?

Salutations ThujOne,

that's quite the lighter you have there!

Not as costly as my Xikar Resource which was 60 $, instead of 10 $ (CAD) for a clone found at Canadian Tire, as i recall. It certainly serves its purpose but runs quite hot after a while, saves on butane so i like it a lot anyway...

;)

So you heat the top puck up to vaping temp then put the green in and draw air down through the top?

No, actually the cannabic bowl happens to be located right below the wooden sphere. It's the metal part we can see from the pipe's profile side, a trio of ceramic filters located above it renders even intense fire surprizinly manageable.

Operation reminds me of a musical instrument where the user depends on his lungs particularily. It functions a bit like paint stippers but at a much smaller scale, that of trichromes, though this time you control powerful heating via simple inhalation... So the hot air leaches around the noble molecules, to eventually carry them away into the airstream!

:)

Aromatic perceptions can be great too, all former-smokers should try this IMO.

Lately i've been getting the hang of it even with a torch flame and it pleases me, sort of renews the ritual! Only good words so far.

Good day, have fun!

=D

Salutations everybody,

Time to revisit...

This picture shows a VG "Ceramic Filter" trimmed down to a thickness not exceeding 1 mm:

24q2rl3.jpg

(ignore the glass tube)

That rendered it semi-transparent.

The other ones below measure 3 mm thick and there's some metal bracing around the central piece:

2dlltt1.jpg

Apparently the glass item delays combustion by blocking or redirecting radiative heat. Without it i burn quick, otherwise a shadow of cooked vegetal substrate remains under... Which looks paradoxal somewhat.

Here comes the final kit, yellow or blue flame both supported conveniently:

2zhquew.jpg

The short tube (installed) works best with my Xikar Resource butane lighter, the articulated one allows addition of my Slick "Gun", a jet blue flame butane lighter which i find handy under any lighting conditions when it's windy and/or i need to pre-heat quick. The softer Xikar flame though gives access to a more nuanced experience...

%)

I recall a thickness of 4 mm was required to block light, that's what i'd recommend for the front puck, at least in the begining.

As for the 3rd puck in the top-of-bowl aperture of the sphere it shouldn't exceed 2.5 mm or so, considering there's also a screen wrapped on top: the later is for mechanical fixation while it keeps things clean too. I find 1 mm is too thin, next time i won't go below 2 mm, which is what i had there before...

=D

Salutations everybody,

I thought i'd post a few pictures, for those who need a different kind of interlude!

312v97k.jpg

25zt21i.jpg

2ymaxlf.jpg

3343tbn.jpg

This appears to be in constant evolution since i continue to acquire some experience. I can now use both butane lighters and in fact i need to keep both around, though they each have their own prefered functions: blue jet flame for pre-heating or soft yellow flame for better nuanced appreciation of aroma/taste.

When cold sometimes i plug 3 extension tubes together to gain full eye-contact on the flame's tip and also the front puck at the bottom of my sphere's heat-collector funnel, euh... This simply means i take no chances: 1) because i don't want my flame to touch anything anyway; 2) when the cloud is too big to handle it tames down a little using a longer tube, which provides just enough time to react. Once i've turned that ceramic filter red-hot a couple times, with an empty bowl preferably (...), it takes less heat from my yellow flame lighter so that adds to its relative ease of control. Usually the heating stops before i'm done with an inhalation, the jet flame feels convenient in more environments (darkness/wind) while the other is silent and i like that...

It's pretty much as far as i can bring it, the next step would be IH Bi-Energy i guess!

=D

ADDENDUM

More!...

be9c9u.jpg

105blp5.jpg

b5g0b6.jpg

2l9372h.jpg

A total extension length of 29 cm previously resulted in some sort of cough-proof trade-off, because the additional delay made it possible to interrupt inhalation when the cloud got much thicker than anticipated. E.G. otherwise i would have started coughing. Tough i went all-PVC again after that, for the flexibility since it feels more convenient while switching lighters, the blue jet torch gaining my preference so far... Such Eye-Contact view happens to change the whole experience radically, not to mention i also made the extension 18 cm long instead. The trade-off in this case is aroma/taste and i think i've just found a sweet spot!

Last edited:
Salutations again,

More love for my VG, this time it's nice enough there's nothing i wish to hide!
79.gif

24o2g7t.jpg

2ppbsq8.jpg

The 2 pictures above show the pipe once i cut a bit of its wood base, the next image was taken after i relocalized the HA teflon straw on my pipe itself:

28a7zgh.jpg

PVC plastic can be fashioned through contrasted thermal transitions, this particular item had to be featured with tightened sections meant to concentrate weakness points there so it bends and hence keep mechanical stress away from the glass tube. The tape (in blue) maintained pressure while it soaked in super-hot boiling water, in the micro-wave:

121xv81.jpg

By the way that glass tube we can see here was refurbished (Arizer V-Tower), this snapshot dates from before i worked on the metal screen:

2hxa69j.jpg

I figure this other illustration may represent the final version of my extension system, hopefully (...):

zu2ij5.jpg

The parts can be reconfigured in many various ways and using all 3 tubing sections together simplifies pre-heating for me, since if there's some thick cloud generated then the longer path limits its impact, unless i failed to sense it coming in good time. Coughing prevention is effectively achieved with the longest setup, thanks to this strategy my lungs feel happier at last! Tough i still need to be cautious, of course...

;)

Here's a list of materials encountered on the path, this was before i displaced my teflon straw:

2q0jatt.jpg

A metal screen now covers each synthetic material adapter (the part which connects to teflon). As a result, after "teflon" i should add "metal"... It matters because in the next weeks i'm expecting such modification has actually shortened the sticky section and hence taking the moist one closer - which is what motivated the fabrication of that 3rd tubing extension (with a dark-orange band under the adapter)...

But it turns out i had forgotten to install that metal screen when i made a mark on my prototype, possibly explaining those condensed-water droplets i've already started to observe at the end of the sticky section! So, it may not look like it but there's yet another pertual experiment ahead and it inspires me one more: try to relocate the metal screen inside the wood handle, eventually. Then, why not, attempt to use 2 and/or vary their gauge (wire thickness).

Nothing but fun in my véranda!

103.gif

UPDATE (HR-Specific)

For those concerned about SiC (Silicon-Carbide) and silicosis i'd suggest using a compression-screen on top of the vegetal load as this should delay transit of most SiC particules beyond the bowl by creating some kind of matress filter, instead of a mass of freely-flying chopped cannabis (...), to protect the cannabic stream ultimately (which later passes through cotton before it gets inhaled anyway)...

This was done assuming there actually are SiC dusty particules to deal with, though it turns out i found additional motivation to do so in any case:

oqx64g.jpg

(Many tokes later using a blue-jet butane lighter)

A low-pitch metal screen deflects and spreads heat around so this was the last touch i needed it seems! Because i don't think that scorching is going to remain a concern much longer... With the added benefit of addressing the risk of silicosis: e.g. no matter how accute that threat may really happen to be it's worth being done!

=D

Since everyone seems clueless i believe it's preferable to seek/promote improved safety. So in conclusion lets simply deposit a compression-screen on top of the vegetal load and then let it float there when screwing the heater-sphere on, to restrict movement of solids only (no packing!)...

Last edited:
That looks seriously awesome dude, some first class stoner engineering there!

I was gonna pick up the vapocane (already have volcano and old iolite however like the idea of water cooled vape) for this type of thing, does a similar job and is just a simple easy addition to your already favourite glass piece!

I have no affiliation and the product might well be pish, I'll be sure to report back once I have acquired it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Salutations BawFlaps,

That looks...

Thanks and that's simply the result of patient observation triggering more experimentation. No fancy thermodynamics calculation was even required... Just play LEGO-style until the puzzle pieces begin to fall in place and then play often again, with variations on the theme - no rocket science ever!

=D

I was gonna pick up the vapocane...

That's one of those i'd already own provided someday i could touch it before i buy!

...like the idea of water cooled vape...

This venture started dealing with cooling issues quite early in the process, although that was years ago i remember it felt particularily easy. Most unfortunately i found i also prefer lots of moisturisation and despite the fact that my pipe generates water vapor of its own already i still need to combine such a unique feature to yet another basic technique: 1 Sip 1 Toke - If/when lungs feel irritable then just don't wait after a good toke, consume a small amount of fresh water each time, without too much delay!

%)

As a matter of fact nothing comforts me any better than my FogBong! method but having a portable got higher priority, not to mention that in the end portability suffers the comparison with what advertising appears to suggest...

70zxuw.jpg

All of those items will be required at some point or another.

The VapoCane is said to operate its magic in 2 ways, one of those can be thought to be relatively butane-free and hence the water vapor produced by proper butane burning no longer support self-moisturisation in that specific case. Which i still think is an excellent prospect for those who can handle both ways indifferently!

113.gif

...just a simple easy addition to your already favourite glass piece!

The day i can walk into a Montreal store and see the Lotus Pipe + WPA Kit i'll certainly want to bring it home with me, too bad that's no option so far. After that there was the Gn0me (GCV + Bong) but i vaguely recall reading it's now discontinued, like the Supreme which i might have enjoyed. Then there are somewhat primitive though similar solutions such as the Alivi8, Lithe, Vapo-Bowl and VaporStar... I was also tempted by the VapMan once but i've been told its convection heat component isn't as important as one could suspect.

Finally, i must confess that despite the various scenarios i continue to browse the web hoping for a "Plan-A"!

At least i figure my layered structure below contributes to limit SiC fractures to its front puck:

2dlltt1.jpg

By the way, i imagine a Top-of-Bowl Ceramic Filter with significantly smaller cells should help capture large loose SiC particules from the one that is stressed most so i fail to see any further possible improvement beyond this - which is a good thing i guess.

15.gif

I always enjoy seeing progress on your curious portavape :) The VapoCane looks like simply a glass stem that heats the air being drawn through it. I guess if you already have a bong, it's a prime solution. Unfortunately, the YT vid runs afoul of CD rules so it has to be removed :\ Egzoset: have you considered the HerbalAire for a "Plan A"? It's a Canadian-made Volcano clone (not really a clone but functions similarly) that has excellent temperature control, is very well-constructed and has a few different modes of use.

Apologies thujone, I wasn't aware! The Vapocane is hopefully going to do the job and I will report back once I have one in hand, love the idea of vaping with my good old bong.

I'm in amazement reading through the thread, good progress and good thinking, Egzoset you mentioned the alivi8, I already own this however have never really enjoyed it.... after a few uses you work out the sweet spot but it is far too much of a curve for an amateur, they will burn the weed and be hit with a harsh short pipe hit instead of the tasty vapour many many times before getting it "just right", saying that though when used properly you can get some nice thick moist cloudy exhales but it's too much of a hassle when you just wanna toke up.

I'll keep my eyes on the thread, I still swear by my volcano for indoors and iolite for outdoors method however your adventure into this has me intrigued enough to maybe start messing around myself!

Salutations THuJone,
Salutations BawFlaps,

I always enjoy seeing progress on your curious portavape...

Actually i refer to the next step as my Bi-Energy "Lava" fantasy - the one that may become reality if i ever get my hands on a suitable Curie-alloy sheet...

Unfortunately, the YT vid runs afoul of CD rules so it has to be removed...

Oh, well there are so many different rules to remember across the web it's a rather good thing there are people ready to remind us!

I don't even remember that YouTube video to be honnest... {I did remember later while reading the next quote.}

...have you considered the HerbalAire for a "Plan A"?

Yes, it turns out i learned a few things about the HerbalAire:
It failed to qualify as a "Plan -A" and i wouldn't bet on anything electrical in this day and age, to be exact!!

You see it's all about cannabic dryness, really.

...very well-constructed...

Mechanical layout isn't the best i can think of but it does have excellent reputation and that's Paramount in our vaporist universe.

If i could go back in time i'd buy the very same again, with my present "Plan-B".

The Vapocane is hopefully going to do the job...

My guess is this can be called enhanced convection heat, that should make a good read! Hoping no splash incident occurs!...

...you mentioned the alivi8, I already own this however have never really enjoyed it...

Just like i couldn't use a genuine VaporGenie Classic at 1st: i gave up on it for a full year!

...far too much of a curve...

You could say i simply cheated by changing the operation range of that curve as it would sound accurate enough!

...many many times before getting it "just right"...

Well, i gambled on my body's own learning resources and then just let time work for me. Humans do adapt when needed... But there are limits. Lucky me the context was favorable and it was possible to close the gaps finally.

...your adventure into this has me intrigued enough to maybe start messing around myself!

It can be fun but after about six months i believe i must have developped hyper-sensitivity in multiple body organs as a result of my sustained exposure to some cannabis-related substance(s), because if i had waited for the next day after a few bowls i'd still be at it many years ahead, possibly into the next decade!...

So i chose to challenge my tolerance level instead and it turns out that's how i discovered the protective effect of a strong aroma/taste gum on me (Dentyne Ice): it interrupts such over-reaction as watery eyes and a stuffy nose in less than a minute and hence demonstrates something about it is better avoided - or at least appreciated in lesser amounts. Hummm... Too much of aroma/taste! I wouldn't have imagined this even possible!!

8)

Though it's remaining unclear as random events continue to take place, but at least it seems i react to terpenes - which could be a lot worse, like to be allergic to THC!...

8(

I say that because i made tests with "blends" using depleted material to dilute the freshly grinded one. This doesn't feel as good in terms of vapor appreciation but it proved to be helpful to me before...

Anyway i figure the reader needs to be aware that someone like me abusing his aroma/taste senses over months might risk to experience a similar faith in terms of cannabis hyper-sensitivity. Which means if you can't solve your problem within a couple seasons then it may be more suitable to get a pause then consider resuming course later.

;)

Apologies thujone, I wasn't aware!

all good, man :)

Yes, it turns out i learned a few things about the HerbalAire:
It failed to qualify as a "Plan -A" and i wouldn't bet on anything electrical in this day and age, to be exact!!

You see it's all about cannabic dryness, really.

w-what did you do to that thing?! what do you mean about the herb drying? it looks from the pictures like the butane vape dries it out as much as the electrical vape, what difference do you note between butane convection heating and using an electrical element of the same type?

Salutations THuJonE,

...what did you do...

Euh... We got acquainted. Inside out style...
4.gif

...herb drying?

Please correct this if i'm wrong but the type of cannabic dryness i refer to simply results from its very nature.

In other words, all cannabic vapor can be considered to require an addition of water vapor to compensate - except perhaps while using a self-moisturising butane-operated device where "clean" (soot-less) butane burning generates heat, carbon dioxyde and water vapor only...

%)

Really, it appears no electric cannabis vaporizer offers such inlet moisturization as that integrated into my VG-based "Plan-B"!

On another hand butane cans contain an amount of "impurities" measured in "ppm" (parts-per-million) and those substances come from deep down within the terrestrial crust where petroleum formed in a remote past. Hence the "Plan-B" tag, though with a Bi-Energy (Induction Heating) scenario owners would get to choose between dryness and invisible comet dust. Yet another possibility (for purists) might be to use 2 separate paths: 1 for a pre-heat phase using a very long transit time so the butane-related products never reach the mouthpiece, the other path being exclusively reserved for butane-free cannabis vaporisation by depending only on stored heat (after turning the front puck dim-red).

Additionally, the next method to generate water vapor is by boiling water in an auxiliary vaporizing chamber and that would take me even further into my Lava fantasy!

Well, for all i know i may be ihnaling Cryptonite but the reasoning is that everage home atmosphere could prove to be even more toxic anyway. Whatever. So, at some point i decided in absence of much convincing proof i'd just try to do no worse than the others before me, hence the layered structure, etc.

Actually i wasn't suspecting the lack of water vapor would lead to this succession of phases, back in 2011 when i got my cannabic vaporist initiation, using an HerbalAire.

Today i depend on inlet self-moisturization under the form of a modded pipe which i must integrate to a "1-Sip-1-Toke" ritual. Briefly put it seems in retrospective that most cannabis consumers are blessed with an appreciable gift of life i can hardly enjoy anymore - because of cannabic dryness which is a feature common to all electric vaporizers i can think of.

I once thought of Flash Vaporisation, assuming it wouldn't allow water vapor to dissipate before the goodies are released. That must be how i came to look for IH vaporization i guess, because that can be powerful and quick.

Nonetheless i didn't persist.

...like the butane vape dries it out as much as the electrical vape...

There's a lot of radiating heat i that pipe and the shield's purpose is to divert some so it degrades/converts after a delay. Last year using a soft yellow flame with a genuine VG Classic version only caused a mess with little hints of solution left behind, today i can torch it repetitively and proceed to extraction until i just want to toss my bowl away as spent matter.

Back to dryness more specifically, sorry but i can't concur with the idea of butane being as dry after i've performed the experiment illustrated below:

2n0lhsw.jpg

347ziur.jpg

It's moist all right. Remember, the tube and cotton ball call for regular maintenance and now the reader knows exactly why! This is quite a fair amount of moisturization when compared to what will come from "dry" cannabis alone if you ask me.

...butane convection heating...

In addition to the radiative component there's conduction heat and that is by design, on purpose. The 90 degree change of direction inside the middle core traps part of the energy which redistributes after a delay towards the metal bowl - which i suppose is why the pipe works best when pre-heated first - something IH power can do as well, no need for butane at all during the pre-heat stage of a LavaWand actually. But there's no LavaWand... So butane pre-heating it is and i've even evaluated a dual paths avenue through my experiment from above.

...an electrical element of the same type?

Lets say i was inspired by my HerbalAire where convective, radiative and conductive heat components all combine to work in synergy. That's why in my LavaWand scenario the bowl and spherical heat collector get fused to from a single bloc assembly where the delay previously mentioned can be trimmed down, eventually. In a Bi-Energy concept the LavaWand strategy puts butane in stand-by, as a "Plan-B" for my IH-driven "Plan-A"... The difference with conventional soldering-iron technology is that one driver stage can power multiple separate vaporisation chambers and hence open the door to portable inlet self-moisturization. All it takes is a few drops of water instead of brittle glassware full of it. In any case here comes the good news: i'm ready to bet the HerbalAire heat-exchanger is IH-compatible simply by slipping a rod of Curie-alloy inside!

Now, with that last image in mind it should be clear that IH vaporizers are still going to feel dry just like their eventually obsolete electrical predecessors. The novely being an opportunity to implement the water boiler required for moisture injection (in very tiny amounts) - and it would originate from only a few droplets at most... While in a butane-burning modded VG pipe water vapor comes from the flame itself.

In conclusion, simplicity favors butane in portable applications so far but this situation could reverse with Induction Heating years before this decade ends!

So it goes like this. Normally we don't focuss on our articulation joints until they hurt. Etc. Similarily, above a given threshold most people would remain blind to trivial issues which have become major concerns for a few exceptions. IH vaporizers will offer an inclusive solution capable of satisfying both sides, those who need the additional features and those who don't care for counter-measures because they're just lucky.

With some determination it could be done using soldering-iron heater elements but we're still waiting for the 1st universal portable vaporizer - not to mention the IH one - and i'm not holding my breath!!

;)

Last edited:
Corrective.

I just remembered i should have accounted for the 3rd ceramic screen which i got as thin as ~ 1 mm maximum because of another experiment...

So, the additional metal screen is most likely to be a temporary fix since i intend to refresh the pipe using thicknesses more along the lines of 2.5 mm, 3.5 mm and 4.5 mm, for starters. Then it's always easy enough to trim it down, just a little.

Even the blue jet torch is finally revealing its advantages, i like that...

121zwoj.jpg

=D

Status
Not open for further replies.