• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

How did sex work exist previous to condoms and birth control?

I know it doesn't help prevent disease but I'm sure "pulling out" was used primarily in sex work to prevent pregnancy. I know it's unreliable but only 1 in 10 men have viable sperm in their pre-cum iirc.

Syphillis was widespread and often yielded a death sentence, back in the day. It wasn’t until the advent of antibiotics in the 1940s, that there was cure for Syphillis.
"The one device that would have many men today more willing to walk the plank was the urethral syringe, which was used to inject mercury into the penis in order to treat syphilis, a sexually transmitted disease. Unfortunately for those poor pirates with women at every port, mercury poisoning could eventually kill you, never mind the short term repercussions to certain areas. "
Captain Black Beard would Inject the Mercury into his cock daily.

I ingested mercury once.

I was about 6 or 7 years old and I wanted to know how hot the casserole was that my mom put in a dish for me, while she was headed out on a date.

I used one of those old thermometers with mercury in it, to check the temperature and this, of course, broke the thermometer because the food’s temperature was much hotter than the thermometer’s highest reading.

I picked out the glass and ate the remainder, including the mercury, never disclosing the special ingredient in my otherwise mundane noodle casserole until now. I didn’t know it was mercury at the time; my dad called it quicksilver.

I ingested mercury once.

I was about 6 or 7 years old and I wanted to know how hot the casserole was that my mom put in a dish for me, while she was headed out on a date.

I used one of those old thermometers with mercury in it, to check the temperature and this, of course, broke the thermometer because the food’s temperature was much hotter than the thermometer’s highest reading.

I picked out the glass and ate the remainder, including the mercury, never disclosing the special ingredient in my otherwise mundane noodle casserole until now. I didn’t know it was mercury at the time; my dad called it quicksilver.
I did the same thing when I was about 6. I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not, but I’ve never had syphilis since.

Ergot and foxglove, various miscarriage inducing poisonous plants have been used for hundreds of thousands of years .

Gold rings similar to an iud were around in the early American colonies.

But yeah, prostitutes either risked death by disease, backyard abortions, herbal poisons or raised kids in squalor, kept working until their delivery time and the baby either died of exposure quickly, ended up at orphanages or got sold into servitude.

Prostitution really was not a profession, there was not much else women with no other way of surviving could do, they would probably be infertile from disease, continually pregnant or die from pregnancy comications.

I just cannot imagine having sex, in some manner for which you have little to no input, with a random stranger.

I have a friend who was a stripper and also a part time hooker with guys she met at the strip club. She said she always got her $$ prior to engaging in any activities. But she said that some men would be extra rough, and slap her, not just on her ass. Others would forcefully do anal sex and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

She said the worst thing was guys desiring head, that obviously hadn’t showered recently. She’d ALWAYS suggest ALL guys shower first, in the hotel room she got that was across the street from her job, but a great many men wouldn’t shower.

Isn't ingesting mercury incredibly dangerous??
elemental mercury (liquid metal at room temp) actually doesn't get absorbed much at all in the digestive system. being exposed to mercury vapours is more dangerous.

the really nasty things are mercury salts and especially organomercury compounds. metallic mercury not such a big deal in small amounts.

In short sex workers died in their 30s and 40s, same thing for gays and junkies

Unless they could afford multiple blood transfusion operations in Algiers or Beirut during the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s female hookers have always had a raw deal.

Mankind really has come a long way in a short time.

I had a gay friend who died recently aged a few months shy of 66.

He told me monogamy during the 1970s made all the difference to him.

In short sex workers died in their 30s and 40s, same thing for gays and junkies

Unless they could afford multiple blood transfusion operations in Algiers or Beirut during the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s female hookers have always had a raw deal.

Mankind really has come a long way in a short time.

I had a gay friend who died recently aged a few months shy of 66.

He told me monogamy during the 1970s made all the difference to him.
I take it that he died of AIDS?

I know it doesn't help prevent disease but I'm sure "pulling out" was used primarily in sex work to prevent pregnancy. I know it's unreliable but only 1 in 10 men have viable sperm in their pre-cum iirc.
Haha good old coitus interruptus..... The other traditional one is the rhythm method. Women can have sex when they're not 'laying eggs' so to speak :ROFLMAO: Both pretty ineffective but better than nothing.

I'd also like to point out that not every culture sees penetration (and only penetration) as 'real sex'. I think the prevailing thought is that things like frottage, hand jobs and oral sex etc aren't always seen as 'real sex'. Rather they see them mostly as an entree to penetration. Europeans seem more amenable to each of these things in their own right.

Anyway, coming back to the subject... I suspect these non penetrative forms of gratification I mentioned were much more common in days gone by. Not just for sex workers but for the unmarried (where these methods also offered a way of preserving their mental and/or physical 'virginity').

if you go back far enough in time, the tribe's friendly local homosexuals would seem rather appealing, relieving the need for any ladies of the night to exist at all...

Frottage? Is that fingering/clit diddling
Frottage is getting off by touching others, often while fully clothed, like when you take E while attending a rave. Or when you ride the Metro (subway) in Mexico City in the late afternoon, and you get felt up, by any one of the 6 briefcase carrying, suit wearing business men who surround you.

Frottage doesn’t necessarily mean that both parties are copacetic with being touched. Frottage is done with the hope of sexual pleasure for, at least the instigator’s, and ideally, both parties’ enjoyment.

There have always been home remedies/traditional medicine forms of contraception. Science has tested some and found them to be somewhat effective. Others not so much. Regular women needed them as much as prostitutes. Some examples from very ancient world here: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/83685/9-forms-birth-control-used-ancient-world. Some more recent medieval period methods here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_contraception?wprov=sfti1

Social attitudes towards prostitution have not always been as puritanical as they are now and it was not necessarily seen as a ‘dirty’ profession in many times and places. Particularly given there are often different classes of prostitute ranging from penny a go in the back lane behind the pub type ones to ones kept as courtesans by the aristocracy and who could mingle in high society quite easily.
Yes, there are high class prostitutes - but they're very small minority of the entire group. I don't believe a minority should be represantion of a group.
I hear very often the argument that about for example small minority of immigrants makes entire group look bad and the group should be judged on the average person of it, not by the top or bottom. That's like saying thieves are honorable because of couple of masterminds who do their job in an eloquent and respectable manner. On average the attitudes towards prostitution have gotten more acceptable, while there may have been some expections in some times - on average things have gotten better for prostitutes.
I disagree about social attitudes being less purinatical back in the day - they were much worse. In many parts of the world still today you get killed for such a behavior.