• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

How do people manage to use drugs like meth or heroin everyday for several years or more?

washingtonbound

Bluelighter
Curious about this because I’ve seen some people post on here about how they recently beat as long as decades of addiction. I have no idea how it would be possible to manage as an addict for one year let alone ten or more. The most I ever used substances for daily was three weeks and if I’d gone anymore than that there would have been serious repercussions in my life. On top of that I hear some of these people managed families and jobs for all those years on top of it. Really beyond belief. Curious to see what peoples thoughts are on this.

Doctors prescribe daily stimulants (including methamphetamine itself) and opioids frequently, even for children. Most people can take drugs like that every day and function. It's the cost, dosage, adulteration, and social environment surrounding street drugs that largely lead to problems. If you have ways to attenuate those things (e.g. a high-paying job) then you will be more likely to be able to be a "high-functioning addict". People do it with cannabis, which attenuates functionality more than stimulants and opioids.

See: chapter 5 of the Consumer's Union Report on Licit and Illicit Drugs.

Doctors prescribe daily stimulants (including methamphetamine itself) and opioids frequently, even for children. Most people can take drugs like that every day and function. It's the cost, dosage, adulteration, and social environment surrounding street drugs that largely lead to problems. If you have ways to attenuate those things (e.g. a high-paying job) then you will be more likely to be able to be a "high-functioning addict". People do it with cannabis, which attenuates functionality more than stimulants and opioids.

See: chapter 5 of the Consumer's Union Report on Licit and Illicit Drugs.
I don’t think anything of people using cannabis everyday but I feel like heroin is a different story. But you make a good point about street drugs vs stuff that’s prescribed.

I don't get it either bud. A week long bender is killer. For the body, mind and social/work life. Maybe some people out there, straities, think that me smoking shit loads of weed every day while being super functional and doing pretty intense work for years on end is fucked up.

It's mostly the physical side I can't comprehend though. I think any drug with minimal physical side effects is probably pretty easy to abuse permanently.

There are functional addicts but it doesn’t mean there isn’t a cumulative effect going on.

the functional alcoholics that I have known actually fared worse in the long haul because they high functioned being an alcoholic

the same with the people who felt like doing a lot of adderall made them better at work or being on heroin made the boring life they were living ok and they never had to face their problems head on

sobriety rips all that away from them

these people you wouldn’t think it’s worse for them but it almost is because when they get clean some of them cannot go back to functioning at the high level they did when they were using

the dad who was so laid back because he was always on heroin so he never yelled or got angry now has to feel real emotions

recovery is a full time job and sometimes it comes at the cost of your full time job for these high functioning addicts and alcoholics

I accomplished a shit load academically and professionally on opioids the whole time. Not going to brag but think top tier schools and positions.

On opioids it's really not that hard (and even easier) if you don't run out of them. The problem is when you run out and can't function....and this is simply a consequence of them being illegal not the effects of the drugs.

Last edited:
By not regarding them as in any way essential.
If a drug is some kind of existential necessity to you, for whatever reason, you'll feel a desire for it and will want to do it every day. If on the other hand you see it as a special treat, something you enjoy occasionally, you'll only feel the desire for it occasionally. Like, I really look forward to my Saturday night takeaway, but I honestly wouldn't wanna eat it EVERY DAY. It's like that to me.
(And as anyone who's read a few of my posts knows, I've had that shoe firmly on the other foot.)

Somehow it happens.forbsome people for a while

You budget, you don't go on a binge. Just use the same amount at the same point in the day. It's just something you do to maintain. You just work it into a daily routine.

Heroin everyday is not hard meth or coke i could use everyday but every now and again I would crash mentally . at 47 i cant get on either for more then 4 days heroin is a lot easier if you got the money

Idk but I was great at it. Even when I couldn’t accomplish anything else or pay any of my bills…even if I was flat broke… if there was a pill available…I could come up with $100 in 15 mins outta nowhere.

Doing drugs for some turns into a lifestyle, you're 24/7 looking ways to get more money cause there's never enough dope. From the moment you wake up, you're thinking of how am I gonna get my 1st shot of the Day? On top of that you have to maintain to your family and friends that you're doing OK.
So whoever dares to say "junkies are lazy", he/she/they can stfu. Being addicted to dark and white is a hell of a ride, it never ends well.
Everyone chooses their destiny though.

So whoever dares to say "junkies are lazy", he/she/they can stfu.
Concur.

If you have a physical dependence you have to hustle to somehow drum up the cash, you gotta have XYZ things going at the same time to meet your needs. You're always rushing from one place to the next like a fucking squirrel trying to stock up for the winter. 'get-the-nut, stash-the-nut' on non-stop frantic repeat. Being a genuine junkie is an exhausting job requiring a lot of stamina, initiative, determination and ingenuity (ironically all very employable qualities haha) and you never get a single day off.

that’s true. imagine if users would put so much effort in other things as much as they do in 100 - 1000$ a day habits. pure economy will push toward legalization for that sole reason.

To keep getting good drugs, you have to keep a good job. Duh. You suck it up and not use when you can't and live for the times you can.