thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

Opinion | How the Tobacco Industry Hooked Black Smokers on Menthols​

Keith Wailoo
New York Times
11 May 2022

Excerpts:
As regulation of the tobacco industry has grown more and more extensive in recent decades, menthol cigarettes have been an exception. They account for more than one-third of cigarette sales in the United States and are especially dangerous because the menthol enhances nicotine’s already potent addictive effects.

Now the Food and Drug Administration is moving to ban these cigarettes, smoked by more than 18 million people ages 12 and over. Among Black smokers, 85 percent smoke menthol cigarettes, compared with 30 percent of white smokers. Banning them in the United States is a crucial step in the decades-long effort to reduce smoking, especially among young people. The toll is enormous: Nearly a half-million people die every year from smoking-related illnesses.

From the start, the marketing of menthol cigarettes, targeted at Black people over the past half-century, was built on an underlying, deeply cynical deception: They were healthy and restorative.
In making the case against the menthol ban, such figures are working from an old tobacco playbook. Relying on industry funding, they use legitimate civil rights concerns about biased policing and racial discrimination to help Big Tobacco defend its lucrative menthol markets. Their argument, like menthol itself, is a cynical distraction.

The truth is that menthol cigarettes and the death of Mr. Garner are linked by his plaintive cry of “I can’t breathe,” part of a long history of systemic targeting of Black people. The story of Big Tobacco and menthol is a rolling tragedy where the violence occurs off camera. It is a slower extraction of health and wealth, playing out not over minutes but decades and generations. But make no mistake, menthol cigarette smoking often leads to decimated lungs, emphysema, cancer and a range of other ailments, ending too often in a tragic plea for air.

Last edited:
Quite frankly, I find it ridiculous for the author to imply that people against the ban are the pawns of big tobacco. Did anti prohibitionists not exist before this proposed ban ?

And I’m a bit shocked that the author would liken a racially motivated police killing to tobacco related lung disease. That seems like two very distinct phenomena, I’m not sure the analogy holds… And honestly probably does qualify as the racial virtue signaling we discussed in the main thread about the menthol ban.

Tbh the menthol cig bans arnt going to stop people smokeing or even stop people smokeing menthols. It's just given a major section of the tobacco market over to knock off tobacco which has no standards nor repercussions for manufacturers who may sell products containing even worse chemicals than regular tobacco.

Also the statistics are a bit fucky and the conclusion that African Americans dont have enough have agency and only do what advert tell them is just racist.

Quite frankly, I find it ridiculous for the author to imply that people against the ban are the pawns of big tobacco. Did anti prohibitionists not exist before this proposed ban ?

And I’m a bit shocked that the author would liken a racially motivated police killing to tobacco related lung disease. That seems like two very distinct phenomena, I’m not sure the analogy holds… And honestly probably does qualify as the racial virtue signaling we discussed in the main thread about the menthol ban.

Yeah this made me nauseous too:

"The truth is that menthol cigarettes and the death of Mr. Garner are linked by his plaintive cry of “I can’t breathe,” part of a long history of systemic targeting of Black people."

:rolleyes:

Yeah this made me nauseous too:

"The truth is that menthol cigarettes and the death of Mr. Garner are linked by his plaintive cry of “I can’t breathe,” part of a long history of systemic targeting of Black people."

:rolleyes:

Yep that line really set me off too 🫤

I’m not here to defend tobacco companies, but the police choking someone to death is just not at all comparable to targeted advertising imo

Eric Garner’s death quite literally resulted from a prohibition mindset that the buying and selling of drugs is a matter worthy of using physical force to stop. I’m not sure why the author thinks this won’t create an illicit market, leading to more police interactions

Unfortunately, I have already heard some of my “progressive” peers sharing the view that a ban is win for black people…

Personally, I think other methods of tobacco harm reduction are much better than an outright ban of certain kinds of tobacco products

Banning menthol's because they're apparently "flavoured for kids" is both ridiculous and bullshit. Menthol is not a candy-type flavour, it's more medicine-like.
If they ban it for anything it should be because it crystallizes in the lungs.

It's funny when these normie wolves and their normie sheep have to imply that their token oppressed group of choice is less human (intelligent, responsible, accountable) than the rest of humanity.

How do people figure out how to chew and swallow food or put on clothes if they seriously can't spot a contradiction that obvious?