• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health How to augment mirtazapine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

menidiatis

Bluelighter
Mirtazapine is a wonder drug, it has given me permanent benefit after using it for a year (I would say as much as 60% of my dysthymia is cured and I have not had MDD episode in years) and it helps tremendously with my chronic insomnia essentially protecting me from needing benzos.

But I still feel like that 40% is missing, my concentration is poor, I get tired quickly, I suffer from anheodnia unless I use drugs (right now only heroin) and I am not so motivated / excited about life.

The lack of lust for life I blame it to the fact I don't have a girlfriend, which to me is extremely important as I am very touchy person (I crave hugs more than anything in this life) and also have a serious need for deep intimacy. So another 20% is dependant on solving this issue.

There is a last 20% regarding fatigue, productivity and concentration. This I believe I need to solve by augmenting with something.

I am thinking the following 3 options :

1) armodafinil
2) bupropion
3) microdose shrooms (I live in NL can get it legally at headshop but i don't know whether this guarantees quality)

Also I want to add nootropics supplements but have almost no knowledge on them.

Is anybody here mixing antidepressants? Even better if someone has personal experience mixing mirtazapine with some thing else?

I would love to hear your experiences gals and guyz those of you who use more than 1 antidepressant simultaneously!!

It seems to be doing everything you need. I have it as a prescription too however only take it occasionally 1/2 pill 2 sleep

It seems to be doing everything you need. I have it as a prescription too however only take it occasionally 1/2 pill 2 sleep
I don't understand this answer

If it did everything I need I would not be asking for how to augment it

Last edited:
Sorry that that was typed in haste. From my experience with Mirtazapine you're getting about the maximum benefit which isn't perfection but I've never met anyone who's gotten that from any psychotropic. I think your ideas are good specifically a mild stimulant or a small dose of something like dexedrine although I've never tried modanifil I've heard good things and it's certainly not as easy to abuse. Same goes for microdosing which might be the best bet however why I don't take pharmaceutical antidepressants or say an antipsychotic like Seroquel for sleep full-time is the blunting effect on desirable aspects of psychedelics and MDMA. I hope that clarifies it

Sorry that that was typed in haste. From my experience with Mirtazapine you're getting about the maximum benefit which isn't perfection but I've never met anyone who's gotten that from any psychotropic. I think your ideas are good specifically a mild stimulant or a small dose of something like dexedrine although I've never tried modanifil I've heard good things and it's certainly not as easy to abuse. Same goes for microdosing which might be the best bet however why I don't take pharmaceutical antidepressants or say an antipsychotic like Seroquel for sleep full-time is the blunting effect on desirable aspects of psychedelics and MDMA. I hope that clarifies it
Sorry I take back what I said, thought you were intentionally derogatory (had an issue with another user these days so am a bit on guard)

Thanks for your response

Mirtazapine is the best of a bad bunch, although I haven't taken the latest stuff and I'm not eager to since I'm not overly depressed and quite frankly I don't trust big Pharma I've taken everything pretty much from parnate through zoloft and don't like the sexual side effects or the changes in sleep patterns. Mirtazapine which I didn't know anything about until recently is classed as an atypical and it does have the desirable sedating effect which my prescriber says goes away in a while but I'm not interested in finding that out because that's why I take it. When I was using meth a while back I definitely noticed mirtazapine made the experience less enjoyable the next day so make of that what you will

☝️ what he said. I love Ritalin. But got into a dysfunctional relationship with it... there was a study in the 60s giving subjects Ritalin and cocaine and asking them to rate the experience. It pretty much broke 50/50

Mirtazapine is the best of a bad bunch, although I haven't taken the latest stuff and I'm not eager to since I'm not overly depressed and quite frankly I don't trust big Pharma I've taken everything pretty much from parnate through zoloft and don't like the sexual side effects or the changes in sleep patterns. Mirtazapine which I didn't know anything about until recently is classed as an atypical and it does have the desirable sedating effect which my prescriber says goes away in a while but I'm not interested in finding that out because that's why I take it. When I was using meth a while back I definitely noticed mirtazapine made the experience less enjoyable the next day so make of that what you will
I have used coke while on mirta and didn't notice much change but I don't really use stimulants so this doesn't bother me

I wouldn't say that the sedating effect goes away completely, it just doesn't feel like you were knocked out by Conor like it does at the beginning, and you don't wake up with slightly annoying mild pain all over your body. For me now it just helps me to sleep in a subtle manner.
Probably low doses of stimulants would be a good adjunct, methylphenidate plays nicely with mirtazapine in particular.
When I had a drugs course at uni (I study psychology) what we were basically taught is that Ritalin is worse for the brain than cocaine. So I think I ll skip although tbf I don't have any proof that modafinil is not equally bad

☝️ what he said. I love Ritalin. But got into a dysfunctional relationship with it... there was a study in the 60s giving subjects Ritalin and cocaine and asking them to rate the experience. It pretty much broke 50/50
Yes I think this is the study I am referring to as well

Actually ritlain has stronger dopamine reuptake inhibition than cocaine

Idk if it is neurotoxic or not, cocaine AFAIK is not neurotoxic (don't quote me on this hahaha) , about modafinil no clue either but it seems all three of them operate on dopamine in fundamentally different ways

I have used coke while on mirta and didn't notice much change but I don't really use stimulants so this doesn't bother me

I wouldn't say that the sedating effect goes away completely, it just doesn't feel like you were knocked out by Conor like it does at the beginning, and you don't wake up with slightly annoying mild pain all over your body. For me now it just helps me to sleep in a subtle manner.

When I had a drugs course at uni (I study psychology) what we were basically taught is that Ritalin is worse for the brain than cocaine. So I think I ll skip although tbf I don't have any proof that modafinil is not equally bad
And they gave it to young kids for decades isn't that special

regarding the fatigue, i recommend taking it earlier in the evening to combat this. i take my 15 mg mirtazipine every night about 3-4 hrs before bed. for me this provides a nice relaxing sedation for the evening and almost no grogginess/fatigue throughout the day

Mirtazapine is a wonder drug, it has given me permanent benefit after using it for a year (I would say as much as 60% of my dysthymia is cured and I have not had MDD episode in years) and it helps tremendously with my chronic insomnia essentially protecting me from needing benzos.

But I still feel like that 40% is missing, my concentration is poor, I get tired quickly, I suffer from anheodnia unless I use drugs (right now only heroin) and I am not so motivated / excited about life.

The lack of lust for life I blame it to the fact I don't have a girlfriend, which to me is extremely important as I am very touchy person (I crave hugs more than anything in this life) and also have a serious need for deep intimacy. So another 20% is dependant on solving this issue.

There is a last 20% regarding fatigue, productivity and concentration. This I believe I need to solve by augmenting with something.

I am thinking the following 3 options :

1) armodafinil
2) bupropion
3) microdose shrooms (I live in NL can get it legally at headshop but i don't know whether this guarantees quality)

Also I want to add nootropics supplements but have almost no knowledge on them.

Is anybody here mixing antidepressants? Even better if someone has personal experience mixing mirtazapine with some thing else?

I would love to hear your experiences gals and guyz those of you who use more than 1 antidepressant simultaneously!!
@menidiatis , Bluelight is a drug harm minimisation forum. We encourage discussion on taking substances as safely as possible.
However, since no one on here is a psychiatrist or even a general practitioner doctor, no one here can ethically or even legally advise someone on what psychiatric medications to combine. "Antidepressants" consists of a large group of psychiatric medications that have many subcategories containing hundreds of different drugs, all of which have many different mechanisms of action and many, many, MANY contraindications, interactions, side effects, etc. The mixing of different antidepressants can have extremely unpleasant and very occasional FATAL effects. They really should not be played around.
Therefore I am going to close this thread. If your prescribed medication is not working well for you, you absolutely must talk to your prescribing psychiatrist or doctor. And do NOT combine psychiatric medications without consulting your prescribing doctor first.

Be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.